Forum upgrade in progress! ×

Tourist boat catches fire while on river sight-seeing in Ayutthaya

Ayuthaya_boat.jpeg

A tourist boat caught fire as it was bringing 24 Thai tourists for a sight-seeing tour of the Chao Phraya river in Muang district of Ayutthaya province this afternoon. All the tourists were, however, safely evacuated to another passing tourist boat. 

No one was harmed in the incident, but the boat was completely damaged by the fire.

A tourist boat operator, Ms Natnicha Sorndee, said that the boat was about four years old and had insurance coverage for all the passengers.

It was reported that the tourists were having lunch on board the boat when fire started, emitting black smoke, causing panic among some of them.

Fortunately, another tourist boat passed by and all of them were evacuated on to it.

Local police and officials of the Marine Department are investigating the cause of the fire.

Source: Thai PBS 2024-04-16

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

image.jpeg

• Confused 1
  • Sad 4
  • Haha 1

Tour Boat Catches Fire In Ayutthaya, All Aboard Rescued
by TNR Staff 

image.jpeg

A fierce fire from the boat spreading to the pier. Photo: TV Channel 7

A TOUR BOAT of a well-known restaurant in Ayutthaya caught fire in the middle of Chao Pharya river at 2 p.m. today (Apr. 16) but fortunately all 24 tourists and the skipper were rescued by two other boats, TV Channel 7 said.

The boat was sailing back to the restaurant when a cloud of smoke suddenly poured out of the hull. The skipper tried to go down and investigate but could not do so because the smoke was too thick.

Fortunately, all aboard were wearing life jackets and jumped into the river. Two passing boats, one from the Marine Department and other from another restaurant, rescued all of them.

Full story: THAI NEWSROOM 2024-04-17

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

image.jpeg

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

A tourist boat operator, Ms Natnicha Sorndee, said that the boat was about four years old and had insurance coverage for all the passengers.

Tourist safety is paramount... think of the image.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, KhunLA said:

Went on one of these a couple of years ago, very good, but I don't think being electric removes the risk from fire/smoke particularly with an enclosed cabin.

1 minute ago, sandyf said:

Went on one of these a couple of years ago, very good, but I don't think being electric removes the risk from fire/smoke particularly with an enclosed cabin.

Nothing is 100% risk free, but if stats of EV vs ICEV fires is any thing to go by, I'm sticking with EVs.

13 to 1, more times likely to have a fire when petrol is involved, as that stat was posted earlier elsewhere.  If and when I start reading about EV fires in TH, (marine or road) then I may become concerned ... or not.

14 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

All the tourists were, however, safely evacuated to another passing tourist boat.

14 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

Fortunately, another tourist boat passed by and all of them were evacuated on to it

Why are we told this twice?

29 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

Nothing is 100% risk free, but if stats of EV vs ICEV fires is any thing to go by, I'm sticking with EVs.

13 to 1, more times likely to have a fire when petrol is involved, as that stat was posted earlier elsewhere.  If and when I start reading about EV fires in TH, (marine or road) then I may become concerned ... or not.

I will certainly stick with the EV ferries, more to do with comfort rather that an anything to do with risk, both being very low. Service craft are a different ball game to private vessels.

I don't think marine craft use petrol, more likely diesel, less inflamable but still a fire risk, but then so are lithium ion batteries.

Fears over the dangers of EV batteries used on both cars and motorcycles which can produce uncontrollable heat surges, radiation and chemical discharges. Wednesday night’s fire is seen as a wake-up call for authorities.

https://www.thaiexaminer.com/thai-news-foreigners/2023/09/09/ev-vehicle-concerns-after-bangkok-fire-bangkok-governor-chadchart/ 

1 hour ago, sandyf said:

I think you missed the intended-sarcasm. I believe the commenter was indirectly referring to EVs that sometimes catch fire.

• Agree 1

3 hours ago, Expat Tom said:

I am a retired ship captain and also taught other mariners in two different maritime academic institutions in the USA.

You might find it interesting that vessels operating within the  territorial waters of a country and not engaging 

in an international voyage are not required to comply with most rules and regulations of the IMO (International Maritime Organization). It is up to the country where the vessel is operating to enforce safety and maritime regulations on its vessels no matter the size.

I am NOT saying that Thailand does or does not have maritime rules. I AM saying that they DO NOT HAVE TO COMPLY  with international norms within their own waters. When you see ferry fires, boats sinking, speed boats running into reefs , Thai war ships sinking and accidently firing on other war ships it should give you pause before boarding a vessel in Thailand. 

As for me. I know where my life jacket is and avoid going into the interior of a vessel here. I want to be able to  grab mt life jacket and be able to get off the vessel  as soon as possible if needed. By the same token, if I go to a bar or restaurant, I want to be close to the exit. 

You can call me paranoid if you want but, after being in combat, traveling to over 75 countries and reaching the 7th decade of my life you can also call me ALIVE! 

No matter where you might find yourself in the world, maintain Situational Awareness.

Self glorifying essay 

4 minutes ago, smew said:

Boat insurance.. think not.

As a tourist transportation vessel, and a business, I would hope insurance is required to operate.

13 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

As a tourist transportation vessel, and a business, I would hope insurance is required to operate.

I half owned and operated a tour boat that was certified for 50 people started in 2004 and I sold out after 10years. Compulsory Insurance was available for around 1500 baht I have no idea what it covered or how much it would pay out and fortunately never had to find out.  Knowing what I know through my experience of that business I would never set foot on any tourboat in Thailand again ever and that would be my advice to anybody considering doing so  Every one of those ill maintained boats is a tragedy waiting to happen as we have seen time and time again

• Thumbs Up 1

5 hours ago, bbbbooboo said:

Imagine having to jump into that filthy river to escape the fire?

imagine not being able to, due to being trapped inside

4 hours ago, Expat Tom said:

I am a retired ship captain and also taught other mariners in two different maritime academic institutions in the USA.

You might find it interesting that vessels operating within the  territorial waters of a country and not engaging 

in an international voyage are not required to comply with most rules and regulations of the IMO (International Maritime Organization). It is up to the country where the vessel is operating to enforce safety and maritime regulations on its vessels no matter the size.

I am NOT saying that Thailand does or does not have maritime rules. I AM saying that they DO NOT HAVE TO COMPLY  with international norms within their own waters. When you see ferry fires, boats sinking, speed boats running into reefs , Thai war ships sinking and accidently firing on other war ships it should give you pause before boarding a vessel in Thailand. 

As for me. I know where my life jacket is and avoid going into the interior of a vessel here. I want to be able to  grab mt life jacket and be able to get off the vessel  as soon as possible if needed. By the same token, if I go to a bar or restaurant, I want to be close to the exit. 

You can call me paranoid if you want but, after being in combat, traveling to over 75 countries and reaching the 7th decade of my life you can also call me ALIVE! 

No matter where you might find yourself in the world, maintain Situational Awareness. 

Sure. Alive is a good description. I saw combat in Saudi Arabia. And, boy, alive was the best description when it was over!

• Confused 1

On 4/16/2024 at 2:17 PM, Upnotover said:

What's the hose guy doing, trying to put out the fire or "playing water"?

could it be possible they took the pic just on the moment he tried to open the hose?!?!?!?!  🤨