Thailand faces a decline in British tourists and expats: Causes and Consequences

webfact

23 minutes ago, RobU said:

Sorry I meant that the disabled are even more badly catered for than normal pedestrians. Steps everywhere but no handrails for people like me who walk with crutches and can negotiate steps as long as there is a handrail to hang on to. Ramps for wheelchairs are too steep almost impossible for someone in an unpowered chair to get up extremely difficult for anyone pushing. An expectation that disabled people have 'carers' and are not independent. Thai workmen coming to my house talk to my wife not me etc.

Some shops where I live have a series of steps that are about  7 inches high and no handrail . Do not see any wheelchair users where I live because almost impossible to negotiate the so called pavements .Thai women with babies in push chairs use the road . Back to the topic . The Thai government must know that Thai standards in many categories are third world at best but they do not give a flying xxxx . Thai holidays should carry a health warning .

Thai gov; needs to wake up, smell the coffee and join the 21st century . 

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, retarius said:

Thailand will regret not being nicer and more unctuous to the Great British Tourist and Ex-Pat. 

Remember during the  days of Covid-19, when the ex pat community played a great part in keeping Thai businesses going - especially the family owned small businesses? And where I live organised "food parcels" for the poorer section of the Thai community?

Obviously, the Thai Government don't, because they seem hell bent on making it more difficult for the average ex pat to stay here - taxing pensions? making it more difficult to get a visa extension? (apparently to deter criminals?) 

Maybe someone "in Government" might read this article and do something about it? 

• Like 1
  • Confused 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

More than a few mentioning exchange rates but that (relatively) poor rate compared to the past is down to the Pound collapsing against the USD in June 2016 on that utterly catastrophic Brexit vote

Opposite side of the pairings Dollar/Baht has the Baht  the weakest since October last year and rapidly approaching 37 currently

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Goat said:

So true.

I did not write/post this:

1 hour ago, nauseus said:

The majority of Brits do not like foreigners unless there is some benefit involved. They wanted the sun on the Costa del Fortune and then changed the environment to suit themselves.

Seems like someone has appointed themselves Chief Sub Editor.

3 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

No idea. For me, everything >50km from Bangkok is up-country and not really important. 😉 

It's terrible and it isn't getting better so the poster you said was incorrect was correct.   

• Confused 1

2 hours ago, John Drake said:

All these complaints. And the crowds. And the pollution. It makes me yearn for the Golden Age of Covid Thailand. Cleaner air, fewer people, easier to get around, no problem finding taxis. I really liked things then. (The economic problems are out of my lane, so, yes, Covid Thailand caused economic destruction. But as someone living here on a retirement extension, it was the best time I've ever experienced.)

There is the key.

Western tourists are more "discerning"

Thailand managed nearly 40 million tourists before Covid.

They still haven't get to that level quite yet but their target is over that.

Despite what some say about targeting "quality" tourists, Thailand is actively pursuing a policy of the lowest common denominator - bums on seats - it's a question of how many people you can fit onto a beach - buildings, aesthetics, infrastructure, natural resources simply don't matter - the burgeoning middle classes of China, India and Russia are nowhere near as concerned about those issues - they want hot weather a beach and booze. Thailand can provide that.

On top of that flights from these countries are much shorter and cheaper than from Europe or the USA.

As for living long term - retirees pensions in UK are less - th state pension is effectively half that of France and a third that of Germany.

Thailand needs skilled workers from the west - engineers etc but they don't pay well and when it comes to healthcare, eventually they and retirees have to return home. As retirees get older they require more and more healthcare an the Thai industry just can't meet the needs of the chronically ill. Comprehensive healthcare for a retiree these days is between £5,000 and £10,000 p/a.

Edited by kwilco
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Goat said:

Maybe because the Aussies are not constantly in the news for druggies begging at 7/11, the Brit biting Thais, throwing glasses in dog cafes, taking a dump in the street at Nana, kiddy fiddling teachers, reporting fake kidnappings, boiler rooms, domestic violence etc etc

It is what it is. I wish it wasnt so bad out there but it is.

So obviously the declining numbers will have an effect of reducing these unsavoury stories. 

Lets hope so.

Maybe Aussies don't come here for holidays, looking for cheap sex, as you have for over 40 years, eh...... 😂

Perhaps they holiday in Bali, etc.......😉

• Agree 1

8 hours ago, webfact said:

Expat Challenges: Bureaucracy and Diminishing Opportunities

British expats in Thailand report navigating increasingly complex immigration procedures, including stricter visa requirements and work permit regulations. This bureaucratic maze is discouraging potential expats, while those already established may feel a waning sense of security.

Also worthy of mention IMHO are the increasingly complex procedures which HM Government back in Blighty has seen fit to inflict on us Brit expats over the past 10 years or so in the areas of renewing our passports locally, proving that we are still in the land of the living for our State Pension and getting UK docs legalised for use in LOS.

• Agree 1

32 minutes ago, superal said:

Some shops where I live have a series of steps that are about  7 inches high and no handrail . Do not see any wheelchair users where I live because almost impossible to negotiate the so called pavements .Thai women with babies in push chairs use the road . Back to the topic . The Thai government must know that Thai standards in many categories are third world at best but they do not give a flying xxxx . Thai holidays should carry a health warning .

Thai gov; needs to wake up, smell the coffee and join the 21st century . 

I agree. The main culprits for inaccessible steps seem to be the chain convenience stores like 7-11 or little C also many pharmacies 

• Thanks 1

I used to live there, from the US I have so many better unspoiled places it makes Thailand look like an over developed wasteland.  Not to mention the government rules to stay there. Passsssssss

Honestly even if they gave permanent retirement visas I would never go back to live or even visit for that matter.   Only easy thing about living in Thailand are the women.

Edited by Gknrd
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, Ctkong said:

Though I agree with you on some issues, I want to offer my input as a 2 weeks stay a month in Bangkok for the past 28 years.  I am Malaysian by birth but lived mostly in Thailand as missus is a Chinese descent Thai. 
thai immigration policy may be regressive with respect to long stay visa issue , service standard, scams and such however, thailand infrastructure is second to none other than Singapore. Internet speed is impressive. Hotels ,both luxury and budget ,aplenty. Restaurants can be both luxurious or cheap satisfying all budgets. Nightlife is also affordable. You can have a good holiday with any budgets . Of course rates of yesterday is over as society progresses but that is to be expected. Malaysia ,which I am familiar with, had not progress both economically or socially these past 2 decades while Thailand plow ahead. Given the Thai abilities, it is impressive that they had managed to govern their country as it is and not run the country to the ground. 

That’s the difference between being a tourist and someone living full time.

while internet speeds are impressive getting connected , reconnected or disconnected from the service may turn into a ww3 , as more than often simple things are turned into a nightmare.

you say thailsnd plowed ahead? In what regard? 

let me tell you , I opened a new company and no one knows what license I require to get . Each government office points finger at each other while I go in circles 

my visa has been same for 25 years and yet every year they require same documents over and over again and sadly enough it is the same officer manning same counter who has seen me 25 years and not once have I had just a nod , forget about a smile or a small talk.

even bar scene. There are there to entertain and get drinks from foreigners and yet speak even less English than they did a decade ago 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, OJAS said:

Also worthy of mention IMHO are the increasingly complex procedures which HM Government back in Blighty has seen fit to inflict on us Brit expats over the past 10 years or so in the areas of renewing our passports locally, proving that we are still in the land of the living for our State Pension and getting UK docs legalised for use in LOS.

my passport took 5 days from handing in BKK, and how your pension works depends on agreements with whichever county you are in.

Most everywhere (globally) is struggling with tourist on some level (over tourism, poor behavior, etc.), immigration, and migration due to war, flailing global economies, etc. And while many countries are looking to control, reign-in, or address the problems, Thailand has chosen to largely ignore them and fling open its doors even wider in pursuit of revenue. The areas of Thailand that where once relatively compelling (CM, Phuket, Pattaya, Koh Samui - and most other islands - and even Hua Hin), and now increasing appalling (even to visit, let alone live), be it due to pollution, crime, over tourism, etc. It's sad really. I don't know the future, but at the moment it appears bleak. 

• Agree 1

9 hours ago, webfact said:

British expats often possess skills and expertise that contribute to sectors like education, hospitality, and entrepreneurship. Their diminishing numbers could create gaps in the labor market and stifle innovation driven by foreign business ventures.

Yes, precisely! Observe Europe's decline without the vital labor gaps and innovation that was brought by the British. Whereas the United Kingdom is now leading the world's economies with their innovative and vibrant economy!

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

38 minutes ago, sambum said:

Remember during the  days of Covid-19, when the ex pat community played a great part in keeping Thai businesses going - especially the family owned small businesses? And where I live organised "food parcels" for the poorer section of the Thai community?

Obviously, the Thai Government don't, because they seem hell bent on making it more difficult for the average ex pat to stay here - taxing pensions? making it more difficult to get a visa extension? (apparently to deter criminals?) 

Maybe someone "in Government" might read this article and do something about it? 

Well , the elite Thai have suppressed the lower classes and maybe have the same plan for the expat . Certainly see nothing to encourage a non wealthy ex pat retiree to Thailand . Ex pats in Thailand have no standing , no voice or representation . As for the embassies , are they still here ? Expats are seen by the Thai as walking ATMs . Two tier pricing , visa rules and expenses , now possible tax on income or the hassle to prove otherwise . Not only are Brits avoiding Thai holidays but there have been reports of ex pat retirees leaving Thailand .

• Like 2
  • Sad 2

1 minute ago, superal said:

Well , the elite Thai have suppressed the lower classes and maybe have the same plan for the expat . Certainly see nothing to encourage a non wealthy ex pat retiree to Thailand . Ex pats in Thailand have no standing , no voice or representation . As for the embassies , are they still here ? Expats are seen by the Thai as walking ATMs . Two tier pricing , visa rules and expenses , now possible tax on income or the hassle to prove otherwise . Not only are Brits avoiding Thai holidays but there have been reports of ex pat retirees leaving Thailand .

I think that the article is agreeing with you - as do I!

(I think the fact that on a visa extension application expats are listed as "Aliens" quite telling!)

7 minutes ago, superal said:

"As for the embassies , are they still here ?'

Well, you occasionally see "The British Embassy are providing help and assistance at this time", in the event of a death or missing persons case and on checking Google there is still an Embassy in Bangkok - whether they do much "helping" is open to debate!

Just now, spidermike007 said:

Tens of thousands have left. I cannot provide proof of this but a dear friend of mine is very close to one of the top foreign attorneys in Bangkok, and he said that over the last 5 years he doesn't have enough time in the day to handle all the appointments that are booked by foreigners leaving Thailand and working to create some sort of legal disposition of their assets here. 

I am happy here. But many are not. 

I have heard that quite a few are opting to leave and go to  Cambodia where they seem to have an easier time. 

4 hours ago, BigStar said:

Scroll and read the posts in reverse order. That way you can stop at the last one you read already. Sorted.

Not in the business model. The idea is to have large database of nonsense, though there's some informal, unwritten rule that you can't quote a member's old nonsense from years ago back to him. That said, there's a lot of good info from years ago, though perhaps none that you posted.

Thanks, info i did not know

4 minutes ago, Yorkshire Tea said:

Pollution is all over UK press, especially Chiang Mai, "the worst polluted city in the world".

Yes, not a good place to reside if you're cracking on a bit.......🤔

• Sad 1