PM Explores Hosting Formula One Race in Bangkok

snoop1130

1 minute ago, impulse said:

Not really. A big part of old timey racing was watching cars that looked a lot like the one in your driveway.  Because that's what they modified to go faster.

They lost a lot of that appeal.  Sure, they make more money than ever. But how much more would they make if they hadn't alienated so much of their fan base?

I love going to Friday night at the local track to watch modified grocery getters. I wouldn't cross the street for a Formula 1 race. 

I don't watch F1........🤗

• Confused 1

Making an F1 street circuit in Bangkok would not be an easy task. Not only does a track need to be set out there also needs to be space for the pits and grandstands. Apart from that having a street circuit means massive disruption to traffic in the area for a couple weeks. Maybe out near Savanabhumi Airport. I would be very interested to see a plan of where it would be but something tells me as it is they have no idea. Reality is though that the F1 world circuit is full and to break into it is not easy. 

3 minutes ago, josephbloggs said:

There was an agreement maybe 14-15 years ago to hold an F1 race in Bangkok and it was to be on the 2015 calendar. It would have been in the old city around the grand palace and the river.

https://www.bangkokpost.com/sports/347075/green-light-for-race-route

They even had Mark Webber drive a demo up and down Ratchadamnoen Avenue and it was absolutely packed so there was a real appetite for it (I was there). It would have made a cool spectacle and the roads around there are wide with spaces for stands. Unfortunately a group of activist opposed to it managed to get a law passed that forbid racing in the old city so the whole thing died. 

Thanks. Yeh that's a great area for it.

13 minutes ago, dinsdale said:

Making an F1 street circuit in Bangkok would not be an easy task. Not only does a track need to be set out there also needs to be space for the pits and grandstands. Apart from that having a street circuit means massive disruption to traffic in the area for a couple weeks. Maybe out near Savanabhumi Airport. I would be very interested to see a plan of where it would be but something tells me as it is they have no idea. Reality is though that the F1 world circuit is full and to break into it is not easy. 

My first thoughts where they would have to do some very serious road repairs before they can even think about F1 in Thailand, a trip down to Singapore would be a good idea, to see how it is done, and it works. 

20 minutes ago, happysoul said:

Or a push cart coming to sell somtam to Verstapen on turn 5.

The way things are going this season, Max would have plenty of time to pick up a snack on his way to the checkered flag.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, brianthainess said:

this Clown has really, no I mean Really Really lost the plot.

Never had one. And he is mixture of Stalin and Reagan at a mental age of 4.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, mancub said:

Thought I'd heard that the Chang circuit in Burriram met most of the requirements.....but there's always a political angle to it.

I went there for the 2019 World Superbikes and was very lucky to find an hotel room and there were very few farangs at the races.

Last year and this I've toyed with going for the Moto GP in October but abandoned the idea as there is so little accomodation available. Even as I write this, booking.com is only showing one hotel available for this years dates, and it's well outside town.

Also, Buriram airport is little more than an airstrip. When I went there were four scheduled fights a day, but one was invariably cancelled.

I believe that the circuit was designed to comply with Formula One requirements, but there is no way that Buriram town could host an event. A shame!

Edited by London Lowf

13 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

In their discussions, Prime Minister Srettha expressed a strong commitment to bringing high-caliber international racing events to Thailand. He assured full governmental support for the initiative, underlining its readiness to provide all necessary logistics and infrastructure to successfully host such an event.

Maybe Red Bull will chip in for the expenses?

8 hours ago, mancub said:

Thought I'd heard that the Chang circuit in Burriram met most of the requirements.....but there's always a political angle to it.

The circuit maybe 75% viable, the town, roads and infrastructure most certainly is not.

10 hours ago, dinsdale said:

........... and down the Sukhumvit straight,  left at Tong Lor, .............

10 hours ago, kickstart said:

My first thoughts where they would have to do some very serious road repairs before they can even think about F1 in Thailand, a trip down to Singapore would be a good idea, to see how it is done, and it works. 

except Singapore loses millions every year hosting the race.

13 hours ago, impulse said:

They lost a lot of that appeal.  Sure, they make more money than ever. But how much more would they make if they hadn't alienated so much of their fan base?

They have a bigger fanbase than ever so that's not a very rational argument.

I also personally don't think F1 is as good as when I was growing up (strange that), but the "they could be making more money if they did exactly what I wanted" mentality is not exactly backed up by the figures.

Edited by JayClay