PM Explores Hosting Formula One Race in Bangkok

snoop1130

While the hosting fee is not that much, ~ $50 million USD, the total cost to stage the event is likely to be ~ $125 million USD.

And the practicality? Dubious.

The PM has lofty goals, and that's a good thing. But like many of his idiotic proposals (land-bridge, digital wallet) he fails to pass the bluster stage.

There's a grand Prix in Singapore - going to be very hard to get them to bring a race to Thailand due to that proximity. When Malaysia couldn't financially do it anymore, it went to Singapore. Singapore are not going to give it up. 

Whilst there is a bidding process to get a grand prix, you have to have high class 5 star facilities, an infrustructure in place for visitors and delegations. I can't see them allowing a grand prix where the moment you set foot of a plane a taxi driver will rip you off. 

Edited by DonniePeverley
  • Like 1

Why doesn't Srettha achieve anything? Because in life you have to focus and prioritise, meaning do fewer things and see them through to completion with laser like focus. Srettha is a gimmick a day man, he sits there dreaming up new gimmicks during the evening and vomits them out the next day, but fails dismally at implementing. Pick 1 from the digital wallet, land bridge etc and all the other tosspot ideas he has floated, then implement it. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

13 minutes ago, DonniePeverley said:

There's a grand Prix in Singapore - going to be very hard to get them to bring a race to Thailand due to that proximity. When Malaysia couldn't financially do it anymore, it went to Singapore. Singapore are not going to give it up. 

Whilst there is a bidding process to get a grand prix, you have to have high class 5 star facilities, an infrustructure in place for visitors and delegations. I can't see them allowing a grand prix where the moment you set foot of a plane a taxi driver will rip you off. 

Sorry you are wrong on nearly every point. Malaysia and Singapore co-existed for nearly a decade. Singapore joined the calendar in 2008, Malaysia exited in 2017. Proximity is not a factor. We have Qatar and Abu Dhabi. In Europe we have Belgium, Netherlands, Germany, Spain - heck we even have two races at different circuits in the same country usually (this year there are two in Italy).

And your nonsense about taxis is irrelevant. Thailand has the existing infrastructure to host 40m tourists a year so it is better equipped than most places on that front.

Edited by josephbloggs
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

24 minutes ago, josephbloggs said:

Sorry you are wrong on nearly every point. Malaysia and Singapore co-existed for nearly a decade. Singapore joined the calendar in 2008, Malaysia exited in 2017. Proximity is not a factor. We have Qatar and Abu Dhabi. In Europe we have Belgium, Netherlands, Germany, Spain - heck we even have two races at different circuits in the same country usually (this year there are two in Italy).

And your nonsense about taxis is irrelevant. Thailand has the existing infrastructure to host 40m tourists a year so it is better equipped than most places on that front.

Thailand does host 40 million (MAINLY LOW QUALITY) tourists, but it's questionable if it has the infrustructure.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, JayClay said:

They have a bigger fanbase than ever so that's not a very rational argument.

But how much bigger could it be had they not alienated a lot of their fanbase?

16 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

Prime Minister Srettha Thavisin and Stefano Domenicali, CEO of Formula One Group

explore the feasibility of hosting a Formula One race in Thailand

Maybe they should look at getting Boss from Redbull and his Ferrari, those in power know where he's hiding. 

Boss, ambassador for Ferrari 

Edited by SAFETY FIRST

37 minutes ago, impulse said:

But how much bigger could it be had they not alienated a lot of their fanbase?

It couldn't. Not possibly. Not at all. Not ever. 0%.

The things that are "alienating" old fans are the same things that are bringing in new fans in bigger numbers. You can't have both.

Especially if you're going all the way back to the days when F1 cars even remotely resembled road cars, you are talking about fans who are mostly not even still alive today anyway!

• Confused 1

The first thing the PM would have to negotiate would be a exception to the ridiculous military monopoly on the airspace in Thailand. For any F1 race to be held properly, many helicopters need to be used, and right now that's a very difficult proposition with the extreme level of control that the toxic military holds over the Thai people. 

How much revenue will come off this? Seems expensive to put on. Can't compare with Singapore, which plans everything well. I expect people will come for the horrific crashes.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, London Lowf said:

Really?

I was actually amazed at the photo - that Domenicali actually took this seriously enough to meet up in Bangkok. Oh, wait a second, he was in Shanghai yesterday for the Chinese GP so probably an easy stop off on his globetrotting.

It looks more like a tribunal than a meeting.

Who's the ballet dancer on the left?

14 hours ago, London Lowf said:

I went there for the 2019 World Superbikes and was very lucky to find an hotel room and there were very few farangs at the races.

Last year and this I've toyed with going for the Moto GP in October but abandoned the idea as there is so little accomodation available. Even as I write this, booking.com is only showing one hotel available for this years dates, and it's well outside town.

Also, Buriram airport is little more than an airstrip. When I went there were four scheduled fights a day, but one was invariably cancelled.

I believe that the circuit was designed to comply with Formula One requirements, but there is no way that Buriram town could host an event. A shame!