Thailands Sex Industry

6 hours ago, MangoKorat said:

Absolutely - in fact a couple of years back, if you remember, the Police Chiefs of Bangkok and Pattaya got together and had a walkabout in Pattaya on evening.  They declared that they did not find any sex for sale. I believed them.

It was only Walking Street, not the whole of Pattaya and yes, you'd be right to believe them as there was no evidence of prostitution visibly ("promiscuously" to quote the requirement in Thai law)  taking place on Walking Street - it's a bar, gogo, club street, in case you didn't know.  

• Confused 1

On 4/23/2024 at 9:33 PM, AreYouGerman said:

The solution to shut down sex tourism from the west would be if females from the west wouldn't just all try to sleep with the same top 10% of men and then do mass abortion like a serial killer.

It's too hot outside for you! Be careful. Brain is burning away. q.e.d.😶

• Thumbs Up 1

On 4/26/2024 at 8:15 AM, SAFETY FIRST said:

I met my girlfriend 2 months after her baby was born, she gets very little money (if any) from the father.

whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat, you have some kind of fetish ?

• Confused 1
  • Sad 2

On 4/23/2024 at 8:37 PM, Bill97 said:

Misinformation,  strong sex industry here before Vietnam War R&R.

Absolutely right. The World Bank recommended to Field Marshal Sarit Thanawat that he adopt tourism and the thriving sex trade as his development strategies. That was even before the CIA's first anti-communist loan to FM Sarit, just a month before the first attack by the Communist Party of Thailand.

• Agree 1

On 4/23/2024 at 9:15 PM, Hummin said:

Sex industry but not sex tourism

Well, no, there was no tourist industry here until the 1960s, and then it was stifled by the Vietnam War for a while. However, merchant sailors and various navies loved visiting Thailand. The Erawan Hotel was opened in 1956, but did not start prospering until the 1960s, and for several years it was the only hotel for foreigners.

On 4/26/2024 at 10:40 PM, BangkokReady said:

Indeed.  They just relocated to service the troops.

By no means all of them. Every small town has at least a couple of hookers, and often it's girls of 16 or 17 years old. Because most of the American troops were stationed at air bases in the NorthEast, the myth grew that they preferred darker-skinned women, opening up new career opportunities for the women who previously only worked locally (the lighter-skinned women from the Northern provinces were/are recruited for the rest of the country. Most of them did not work for the Americans).

• Agree 1

Posted (edited)
On 4/30/2024 at 11:40 PM, JimTripper said:

They don't really need money for the family. One can make all you need farming and passing the land down to your children.

You've never visited a farm in the Northeast, have you? Say Buriram or Surin. Although I'll grant that after Thaksin a lot of them are able to make a decent living.

Edited by Acharn
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

There is a confusion in the video.  Sex tourism did indeed grow during the Vietnam war, however the sex industry has always existed in Thailand.

• Agree 2

On 4/26/2024 at 10:41 PM, BangkokReady said:

No sex tourism during the Vietnam war either, surely?  They weren't in Thailand on holiday...

They were on leave.

Posted (edited)

It's sad to read and I dislike negative comments regarding girls working in this industry, sure you get a few nasty girls but I'm sure most times it's the foreigners that ruin them. 

They ruined themselves by the choices they made in life.

Edited by Rampant Rabbit
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 2

On 4/26/2024 at 9:14 AM, brewsterbudgen said:

Where is this "proof" you mention?  Prostitution is and always has been part of Thai culture. Many Thai males lose their virginity to prostitutes.  

Well done, you've somehow managed to completely miss the point.

Why do they bother saying no prostitution in Thailand 

Pattaya is known world wide as the sex  city hence the sex tourists come in their droves 

Won't comment anymore as will  stating the obvious reasons people come 

Thanks for this informed video.

It's so sad that these beautiful young girls have to work in this industry.

My girlfriend comes from one of the poorest families I've ever met.

She had a baby to a Thai guy, her boyfriend of 4 years, he left her and the baby before my girlfriends son was born.

I met my girlfriend 2 months after her baby was born, she gets very little money (if any) from the father.

My girlfriend has had a few jobs over the 2 years I've known her, Big C, pet store, electronic factory etc. The wage she receives is not enough for milk, nappies etc, she gives her mother 5000 baht a month to care for her baby.

I give my girlfriend money for this and that, I want to help her, I'm not sure if she's with me for the money or she has feelings for me, we get along well together and I'm happy to be with her. 

In Australia we'd have similar prostitution if the government did not enforce garnishing of wages from fathers and social security, welfare.

It's sad to read and I dislike negative comments regarding girls working in this industry, sure you get a few nasty girls but I'm sure most times it's the foreigners that ruin them. 

My EX-girlfriend/wife told me the same story when I meet her.
Her mother was living in Chaiyaphum with her son and she was working at a factory in Rayong.
Every 2 weeks/month she was sending some money to feed her son.
The father died shortly after the birth from a "bad liver".
About 6 months after meeting my EX-girlfriend/wife, on Songkhran, we went together to visit her mom and her son.

Result:
Her mother had a rice-field which was given to her by the previous King in the self-sufficient program.
She rented the rice field out to the mair of the town (he rented several rice fields), and he took care of planting the rice/maintenance of the rice field/etc.
In return, she received enough rice for her own consumption and every harvest a lump-sump sum (enough to live comfortably).
Besides this, her mother was working on cutting the sugar canes and other local work which paid daily about 150 Baht (20 years ago).
The son received FREE schooling at the local temple, but needed to do after school or in the weekends some work at the temple (cleaning, cutting grass, etc.)

The were far from being "poor" and could live a cosy lifestyle, but they were addicted to gambling and drinking and that was where most of the money went to.

Posted (edited)

When I finished my one year tour of active service in Borneo with the Brit Army in the early 1960s, there was only one place that us sex-starved squaddies were headed when our leave was due and that was here. That was in the days when Singapore was pretty wild too, so that should tell you something.

Edited by jesimps
  • Agree 1

Posted (edited)

The worst thing is that Thailand have both reputation of child prostitution and adults prostitution .....

I got huge problems during my first trip to Thailand in 2010 when I returned back at my home country Greece and I told my friends that I travelled 2 months for my vacations to Thailand.

My Greek friends both males and females asked me if "went" with children and I got surpriced feeling guilty because I didnt know what to answer.So in the coming years 2011 -2012 etc I frequently travelled (one or two times per year) to Thailand but I hide it telling that to my friends in order to avoid embarrassing questions.

In 2013 I took two of my married friends with their women and kids to see the reality that Thai child prostitution exist as it exist in any other western country in European or American States.

I have made many pure friends from Thailand two of them have travelled and accomodated at my house in Athens and the only thing I can tell you is that it is very easy to take a Thai woman outside of Thailand but it extremely difficult almost impossible to put out Thailand from their heart and I admire them. Congratulation ladies because during Greek financial crisis in 2010 and afterwards corona holocaust hundrends of thousand Greeks generation Z millenians (those born between 1981 -1996) as well as new generation (those born 1997 onwards) have quit their home country (800.000) and reside usually in USA and Germany -Belgium -Holland etc joinning millions of Ukranians -Russians - Bangladeshians - Iranians - Indians -Pakistanis in order to enjoy their "american dream" paying the price of exremely high rents and higher cost of life. (€15-€20 /sq/m the rent).

Edited by Paris333

On 4/26/2024 at 8:29 PM, Dioj said:

My post was total sarcasm. Guess you don't follow the local media much. They constantly raid go-go bars, hostess clubs, and brothels in Thailand claiming they found no evidence of prostitution. 

Apart from finding underage girls now and then. 

On 4/26/2024 at 12:49 PM, Hummin said:

Ironic comment based on  police chiefs personally inspecting parts of Pattaye red light districts annually, for then stating their lack of finding of prostitution. 

Conclusion no prostitution found

Cash Stuffing' Is Thriving on TikTok | WIRED

• Haha 1

19 hours ago, shackleton said:

Why do they bother saying no prostitution in Thailand 

Pattaya is known world wide as the sex  city hence the sex tourists come in their droves 

Won't comment anymore as will  stating the obvious reasons people come 

When has anyone ever said there is "no prostitution in Thailand"??

On 4/26/2024 at 9:14 AM, brewsterbudgen said:

Where is this "proof" you mention?  Prostitution is and always has been part of Thai culture. Many Thai males lose their virginity to prostitutes.  

Unlike the females the Thai males are not known for their looks, so your last sentence would be about right.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

On 4/23/2024 at 9:33 PM, AreYouGerman said:

The solution to shut down sex tourism from the west would be if females from the west wouldn't just all try to sleep with the same top 10% of men and then do mass abortion like a serial killer.

Don't you as a man have standards?  Why would you want to sleep with any woman who wasn't in the top 10% based on her looks, education and family? 

• Sad 1

4 minutes ago, Freddy42OZ said:

Don't you as a man have standards?  Why would you want to sleep with any woman who wasn't in the top 10% based on her looks, education and family? 

Sleeping with a female based on her education and family? What in the world,... it seems you missed biology class. Since when are men basing their mating strategy not on fertility signs but political correctness. What.

Also, I found out that I actually have standards, especially for myself! I won't do a monkey dance to impress a female. The female who wants to be impressed before she spreads her legs is no different than a female asking for money and both types are below my standard.

No fornication.

• Sad 1

On 4/26/2024 at 10:46 PM, Hummin said:

She explain the start of sex tourism in Pattaya in the video. The soldiers on holiday created a good business opportunity for women. 

So basically vietnam war was the beginning of sex tourism

The myth of American soldiers is thus propagated.

The Germans and Swedes predated the GI's in Pattaya.

On 4/30/2024 at 11:46 PM, Hummin said:
On 4/30/2024 at 11:40 PM, JimTripper said:

They don't really need money for the family. One can make all you need farming and passing the land down to your children.

Sure, good point 

But gambling and alcoholism was endemic and as significant a factor in the rural communities then as it is now. You can't farm the land when you've already lost it, are drunk or both.