Return of Rental Deposit.

so you need the blue book of the condo, id card of owner, HIS blue book of his house, a contract ,    a tm 30

you can ask the agent for it, but they will want a deposit first...

so how to you enforce you get all the papers you need for immigration before paying anything ?

58 minutes ago, patman30 said:

just go away, i got no time for clowns, get a life.

Don´t reply then, as that makes it look like you have all the time in the world.

• Love It 1

Legally you cannot keep any security deposit against rent payments ahead of you. In all practicality I always did it - after my first landlord shortchanged three months deposit in the 80s with the explanation "cannot find new tenant". 

Yes, they complain, phone and do but Thailand's mills rotate slowly and the amount in question does not justify legal approach. So just inform the landlord, that you will settle all the outstanding utility bills at the end of the contract but there is no more rental money going his way. As a particular good reason the refusal to comply with governmental instructions (TM30 etc.) suits you perfectly well. 

And, should you be "frightened" with a visit of some of his friends (in uniform or so) then you can tell them to take a hike! Legally you would have to be presented with a court ruling to pay - and that takes without any doubts - years! Good luck! 

31 minutes ago, john donson said:

so you need the blue book of the condo, id card of owner, HIS blue book of his house, a contract ,    a tm 30

so how to you enforce you get all the papers you need for immigration before paying anything ?

He refused to give me his house book, I already had a copy of his ID Card, eventually an agent did the TM30 initially refusing because I didn’t have the owners  house book, 500 baht.

Posted (edited)
59 minutes ago, john donson said:

Man up. Either you get the documents first or you go with a different agent. The agent in question risks losing the commission. Usually every agent in town knows about the same property and it's listed for rent on all their websites. Look for an agent who needs to close the deal.

Don't let them rush you into a deal. Nobody gets paid until you pay them. They will sometimes try to trick you into believing many people are looking, or it will be gone tomorrow, etc.

22 minutes ago, Jumbo1968 said:

The property was rented through an agent.

My comment was what to do next time. The Op has already handed over money so they don't have much leverage now.

Edited by JimTripper

1 minute ago, JimTripper said:

Man up. Either you get the documents first or you go with a different agent. Ghe agent in question risks losing the commission. Usually every agent in town knows about the same property.

The property was rented through an agent.

41 minutes ago, newbee2022 said:

Then try it in a dark night. Be careful with barking and biting soi dogs👍

I'd suggest not biting Soi dogs,  they might bite back! 

Barking should be kept to pehaps a few small yelps...

Posted (edited)
21 hours ago, Jumbo1968 said:

My landlord refused to do a TM30 for me he also refused to give me a copy of his Tabien Baan so I could it, at the end of the day I managed to do one after a lot of hassle, His parting words were you leave in 2 months, ok no problem I will not pay the last 2 months rent as I paid 2 months in advance for a deposit.

Am I within my rights to do this, he is known for not returning renters deposits ?

You were a bit daft getting involved if he had the reputation you claim he has.

No, you are not supposed to use the rental deposit as the final month's rent, it is supposedly there for any unforeseen final bills or damage/cleaning and putting it back to its original condition.

That said, there are many who do it because of unscrupulous landlords who find excuses not to return deposits.

It is a civil not a police matter, (it won't stop him calling them as a bluff) but I would keep my head low and out of his way during your final period of occupation, as no doubt he will be wise to this trick.

Edited by Scouse123

Posted (edited)
17 hours ago, Jumbo1968 said:

I live in a house, it would take a removal company a couple of days to remove furnishings and, fittings and clothes from the house.

lol i clearly said Condo but point taken

Surely its always best not to get any potential grief in the first place

Edited by Chivas

3 hours ago, JimTripper said:

Man up. Either you get the documents first or you go with a different agent. The agent in question risks losing the commission. Usually every agent in town knows about the same property and it's listed for rent on all their websites. Look for an agent who needs to close the deal.

Don't let them rush you into a deal. Nobody gets paid until you pay them. They will sometimes try to trick you into believing many people are looking, or it will be gone tomorrow, etc.

My comment was what to do next time. The Op has already handed over money so they don't have much leverage now.

Edit the property was not rented through an agent, it’s quite common for owners to put sign on gate with telephone number.

19 minutes ago, Jumbo1968 said:

Edit the property was not rented through an agent, it’s quite common for owners to put sign on gate with telephone number.

What does your rental agreement say about deposit refund?

1 hour ago, Chivas said:

lol i clearly said Condo but point taken

Surely its always best not to get any potential grief in the first place

The potential grief was caused by the Thai owner, last time he complained when he had to pay 500 baht for a TM30 as he used an agent, this was over a year ago. This time he refused to do one and then not give me a copy of his Tabien Baan as required by Immigration to do a TM30 myself. I could have gone to Immigration but due to the owner not giving me his documents I was outside the time limit for registering a TM30, I am not sure how much sympathy Immigration would have give me, I did have a copy of his Thai ID, rental agreement and a document indicating that I was occupier of the house, 

My Thai wife has to communicate with owner, he doesn’t speak English, he tends to shout when my wife speaks to him, a bit of a bully tbh but she will give as good as she gets.

its his loss, we have lived the house for over 4 years, good tenants always paid rent on time, doing minor repairs, regrouting wall and floor tiles, adding additional sockets and water taps, they will be removed when we vacate the property.

50 minutes ago, Jumbo1968 said:

we have lived the house for over 4 years, good tenants always paid rent on time, doing minor repairs, regrouting wall and floor tiles, adding additional sockets and water taps, they will be removed when we vacate the property.

take out the AC as well just for good measure

6 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

take out the AC as well just for good measure

I would do if we had installed it, he wanted us to pay for a new water pump last year, my wife said ok but we take it with us when we leave, after that he initially installed a second hand one which didn’t work then he installed a new one.

Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, Jumbo1968 said:

So what? You still need the docs. Does not make any difference who is renting it out. Get the docs or they don't get paid. Stop making excuses! Demand the documents you need at the same time you pay the deposit. There's no reason to withhold info and you deserve the papers you need.

If they don't like giving out info you're going to have problems anyway later on, with things not getting fixed or whatever. Better to bail now, then later on.

Edited by JimTripper

2 minutes ago, JimTripper said:

So what? You still need the docs. Does not make any difference who is renting it out. Get the docs or they don't get paid. Stop making excuses. Demand the documents you need at the same time you pay the deposit. There's no reason to withhold info and you deserve the papers you need.

I demanded the document his Tabien Baan several times, he was not forthcoming, his parting words, I’m giving you 2 months notice to leave..

Posted (edited)
32 minutes ago, Jumbo1968 said:

I demanded the document his Tabien Baan several times, he was not forthcoming, his parting words, I’m giving you 2 months notice to leave..

If you are dealing with them directly (no agent) and they say just get out, I would just leave. That's pretty much an all bets are off situation. What's the alternative?

You can't sit in the house watching the door or worrying every time you go out if they are coming for your laptop.

I would not keep paying anything, just leave. You're only out possibly the two months deposit. Maybe ask for the deposit back and if they don't respond leave the place dirty. They have these wet concrete balls you can flush down the toilet. They harden in the pipes later on. You can't tell they are in there until someone digs out the pipes months later. The 'Anarchist Cookbook' is a great book and has all kinds of ideas like this.

Edited by JimTripper

Finally got to the bottom of the problem re the ‘owners’ documents, he gave me a copy of his ID Card and a copy of a House Book, the name on the House Book wasn’t his. My wife asked the ‘owner’ for a copy of the ID Card of the name of

the person on the House Book,  he stormed off ranting and raving giving us 2 months notice to leave. The name of the person on the House Book was registered over 20 years ago, no idea who he is.

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, Robert Paulson said:

Nobody returns rental deposits in Thailand and if you have someone tell you they got their back they are lying or were in a thai building 

I have 2 properties that I lease out and have always returned the security deposits of leasees who fulfilled their end of the lease agreement... so GO POUND SAND with your lies.

1 minute ago, Skipalongcassidy said:

I have 2 properties that I lease out and have always returned the security deposits of leasees who fulfilled their end of the lease agreement... so GO POUND SAND with your lies.

Liar

On 5/2/2024 at 9:46 PM, JimTripper said:

I would not keep paying anything, just leave. You're only out possibly the two months deposit. Maybe ask for the deposit back and if they don't respond leave the place dirty. They have these wet concrete balls you can flush down the toilet. They harden in the pipes later on. You can't tell they are in there until someone digs out the pipes months later. 

Sounds like something that you would do...

• Haha 1

On 5/2/2024 at 10:51 AM, Jumbo1968 said:

He refused to give me his house book, I already had a copy of his ID Card, eventually an agent did the TM30 initially refusing because I didn’t have the owners  house book, 500 baht.

There is your solution right there in your own words... you were happy to skip the TM30 requirement because IO's weren't concerned... but it was still a requirement... you couldn't be bothered... the cost of 500 baht is nothing compared to the cost of being "found out" for non compliance for 4 years so pay it and shut up... now you want to make it the landlord's "duty" and are willing to break your lease and forfeit the 2 month's security deposits... sounds like neither you nor your landlord have very good communication skills. 

I had a condo owner try to evict me for not paying the last months rent. She sent me all kinds of legal notices to get out. I went to the local police and filed a report about it. Showed them I had paid deposit for that month in advance when moving in. THe police assured me that she would need to have them present to evict me forcibly and that they are on my side being my contract clearly outlined the portion of deposit was for the last money + damages. I stayed there until the last day of the contract and the owner could do nothing about it. Then the owner tried to slap me with a 40,000 damages bill haha... I told her to take me to court and prove the money was spent to fix things and that damages were incurred by me. Since I had photos of the empty condo before moving in and after I left I could prove I did not need to pay anything more than a simple cleaning fee. Eventually the owner gave up and although I did not get my damage deposit back, they stopped harassing me. 

I would suggest you gather enough proof the money you paid was for last months rent. Make a police report to protect yourself if the owner decides to bring the police to your door along with reporters to make you look like the bad farang. Forget about your damage deposit as you will have to sue them to get it back.. And go find a better place to live. Thais rarely like to return money to the renter and will make any excuse to try to get more. Your contract is the only thing that will prevent them from doing something that will make you look like you are wrong.