Kiwi Arrested for Illegal Use of Fireworks on Thai Beach

webfact

1 hour ago, ukrules said:

I've been saying this for years.

They hate us, only now are we seeing highly publicised evidence of this, it was more subtle before.

I do not think so. In years past before the internet there were far fewer foreigners visiting Thailand. Now visitors have literally tripled and all sorts are arriving and amongst them are troublemakers.

• Like 1
  • Confused 3

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, sungod said:

Must be sh!t being a farang on Phuket at the moment.

1 hour ago, ukrules said:

I've been saying this for years.

They hate us, only now are we seeing highly publicised evidence of this, it was more subtle before.

Not at all, thanks for your concern.

Edited by stevenl
  • Confused 1
  • Agree 1

6 hours ago, webfact said:

image.jpeg

A 39-year-old New Zealander, named only as Mr. Stephen, has been arrested for illegally setting off fireworks on Thailand's Patong Beach. The arrest occurred on Thursday, May 2nd, after midnight local time. 

Mr. Stephen was apprehended by the Patong Police near Taweewong Road. Two sets of eight fireworks were found in his possession.

He was subsequently taken to Patong Police Station, where he was charged with using fireworks without the necessary legal permit and causing noise pollution.

As reported by the Phuket Express, the offense carries stiff penalties in Thailand. Violators can potentially serve up to three years in jail and may be subject to fines of up to 60,000 baht or both.

Picture courtesy of The Phuket Express

news-logo-btm.jpg

-- 2024-05-03

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

He'll be very famous when his story is published in Auckland. A laughingstock by itself. Congrats🙏

• Haha 2

Is it that he set off the fireworks on Patong Beach rather than on a private property? 

It's one of the designated/protected no-smoking beaches with advertised heavy penalties up to 100k fine (which has probably never been imposed).

Earlier in the week read of a tourist being 'fined' the maximum 25,000 baht for smoking cannabis on the beach.

A beach crackdown?

• Thumbs Up 1

20 minutes ago, milesinnz said:

Please do TAT a favour.. tell all your western mates, don't come to Thailand... if you must come to SE Asia go to Vietnam or The Philippines.. that should make the Thai's much happier...

Yeah?  And then where will the thais get their revenue if no farang??  Thailand, like most of SE Asia only survives because of the Chinese money and brains.  In more recent decades its due to the farang coming here and spending.

6 hours ago, Korat Kiwi said:

I think it was only yesterday that it was reported that authorities were starting to clamp down on excessive noise and use of fireworks in Phuket. 

My my they certainly moved quickly on this.  What about the sellers of fireworks?  Remove the source then you automatically remove the problem. 

I've never been to Phuket,  seems like I'm not missing much. 

Good point

• Thumbs Up 2

For many years that I have lived here , Jomtien Beach was a quieter family neighbourhood with many Thai's and permanent farang residents. Recently with the overdevelopment of newer hotels and short term rentals, the nightlife has gotten out of control. Fireworks are set off on the beach nightly (not on special ocassions) until 2:00 and 3:00 in the morning. Children and family residents need their sleep without the sounds of a war zone in the background . 

If you want to party all night with loud noise , go to one of the famous party islands.

The police in Jomtien need to step up and enforce the laws like this example in the story above.

• Like 1

Can you get up to 3 years jail and/or a 60,000 baht fine for letting off fireworks anywhere any day without a licence to do so? The last New Year’s Eve the whole neighbourhood was letting them off, all Thais though, so I suppose that don’t count. 

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, wensiensheng said:

but in what universe is being punished for breaking the law an issue? 

1 hour ago, wensiensheng said:

anyway, enjoy your current place of abode and if it’s ok for you to break the law there with impunity, so much the better……..I guess.

Comprehension issues or trying to re write my post, make a straw man, & do a little soap box preaching? Nowhere do I advocate breaking the law, no matter how trivial & ridiculous.

My post concerns the blockheaded & ignorant westerners on Phuket who are oblivious to the fact the plod are looking for any and every transgression they do. It does not matter if the locals do the same every day. More to the point these brick thick westerners have had two months to catch on, but they don't. Pitiful little critters. Perhaps you can help them next time you are down there. Our hopes & prayers are with you.

Edited by Dcheech