Driving without valid driver's license in Thailand

19 minutes ago, CFCol said:

You didn't read the post. His uk and Thai licenses have expired.

Yes, I did acknowledge & apologize that error a few few days ago, you must’ve missed it.

24 minutes ago, CFCol said:

You didn't read the post. His uk and Thai licenses have expired.

The OP's situation is clear, but lots of folks come to these threads for generic info.   So far, nobody's posted whether a Brit can drive in Thailand using their valid back home license, for how long, and whether an IDP is mandatory.

In years past, there were mods and participants that actually posted good info.  I miss that.

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, impulse said:

The OP's situation is clear, but lots of folks come to these threads for generic info.   So far, nobody's posted whether a Brit can drive in Thailand using their valid back home license, for how long, and whether an IDP is mandatory.

In years past, there were mods and participants that actually posted good info.  I miss that.

Plus ca change ... 'twas much the same before, Impulse,  but yeah, there were some real experts on here who offered critical, authoritative advice. I think we'll use Uber for those trips to more out of the way places. For instance, I need to check out Huai Mai Teng Reservoir in Ratchaburi province, on the main road to Chombeung from Ratchaburi ... I need to get there for about 6:00 am ... in order to check out if a certain species of bird, River Lapwing, fly in for their morning feed on the gravel there! Back in the day I had my own wheels so no major issue. There are a few other trips I would like to make involving brds for which wheeis wheels will be essential so I suspect I will indulge myself and hire a car with a driver. Thanks for your help.

On 5/3/2024 at 5:54 AM, JBChiangRai said:

Thailand has a treaty with many countries for the mutual acceptance of driving licences as stated in the 1949 Geneva Convention on Road Traffic or the 1968 Vienna Convention on Road Traffic

It's 3 month according to Thai rules.

• Agree 2

On 5/3/2024 at 4:54 AM, JBChiangRai said:

Thailand has a treaty with many countries for the mutual acceptance of driving licences as stated in the 1949 Geneva Convention on Road Traffic or the 1968 Vienna Convention on Road Traffic

You can legally drive on your British license at least six months, it may be longer. If you’re still in the country after that time, you must have a Thai license.

However, don’t expect plod Somchai to know and you are likely to get fined although you are insured if you have insurance.

Insurance companies will only provide cover for three months......not to sure if you can get around that?

• Confused 3

On 5/3/2024 at 12:13 PM, impulse said:

Point taken, but I'd settle for the legally correct answer.  Can a Brit, by treaty, legally drive in Thailand using a valid British DL, for how long, and is an IDP required?  

Millions may get away with breaking the law, but they occasionally get caught out when they end up in the hospital and their insurance company denies cover because they were driving illegally.  Or if they get pulled over by the wrong cop.  Also, the "legally correct" answer will probably make the difference when they rock up to a rental car kiosk at the airport.

In years past, we'd have gotten a definitive answer on TVF.  Then the flame wars would start.

Paid £5 for my IDP in uk valid for 3 years so no excuse for any uk citizen not to have one

• Confused 2
  • Agree 1

On 5/3/2024 at 3:54 PM, JBChiangRai said:

You can legally drive on your British license at least six months, it may be longer. If you’re still in the country after that time, you must have a Thai license.

However, don’t expect plod Somchai to know and you are likely to get fined although you are insured if you have insurance.

AXA Told me they accept NZ licence for insurance, I also had a international license, I got a Thai one b4 the international expired, I wouldn't want to drive in Thailand without insurance, imagine hitting a bike, and your always wrong. 

AXA also told me not to talk to anyone if I had an accident, just wait until they got there. 

• Confused 1
  • Agree 1

6 hours ago, ian carman said:

Paid £5 for my IDP in uk valid for 3 years so no excuse for any uk citizen not to have one

Although the IDP is valid for 3 years 

..The IDP itself is valid for 12 months. However, the country you are visiting may demand a local licence if you stay more than a certain time. I believe it is 3 months in most countries, including Thailand.

• Confused 1
  • Agree 2

On 5/3/2024 at 1:55 AM, jvs said:

Yes of course you need a valid license!

All the people that are saying you can get away with it are delusional!

Get into an accident and you will find out if it matters or not.

Maybe for Thai people it is easier but for foreigners i can predict you will be out a lot of cash

in any major accident.

No matter how good you drive there is always some one out there who is not going by the rules.

Stay safe!

You can't really make a factual statement like that about Thailand, as things are never handled the same. 

I was involved in an accident and the insurance guys showed up and worked things out. 

Never once was I asked for my license by the insurance guy or the police.
I had a valid license from the USA, but not Thailand at the time. I was visiting Thailand and borrowed a car from a girl I knew. 

The accident was my fault as I was going to fast in rainy conditions and skid on the steel grate on a bridge when I hit the brakes.

I didn't get a ticket, the police didn't really care they just wanted to get us moved off the bridge.

Once moved off the bridge the police left, they didn't even ask my name. I can say they were very polite.   

The guy I hit was really nice and offered me a ride home as the car I had was undriveable. 

So, in my case neither the insurance guy nor the cop asked for my license.  As soon as the accident happened

I called the girl I borrowed the car from and she called the insurance company who sent a guy out to handled everything. 

However on the other hand, I had a friend get into an accident which wasn't his fault. He had a Thai license but still had issues, had to pay a fee to the police and to the guy that hit him. His insurance did cover the damage to the cars.  

So I was unlawful and had no issues, he was lawful and had issues. 

I dont condone doing anything illegal in Thailand because you just never know how the dice will roll.

• Agree 1

It was some years back. At some point, I misread that my DL was to expire in 2016 when it was to expire in 2015. During the year it expired, I got stopped twice where I had to show it, one in which I got ticketed for not having my seatbelt on. Neither time did they inform me that my DL had expired. Just luck I guess.

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, ericthai said:

You can't really make a factual statement like that about Thailand, as things are never handled the same. 

I was involved in an accident and the insurance guys showed up and worked things out. 

Never once was I asked for my license by the insurance guy or the police.
I had a valid license from the USA, but not Thailand at the time. I was visiting Thailand and borrowed a car from a girl I knew. 

The accident was my fault as I was going to fast in rainy conditions and skid on the steel grate on a bridge when I hit the brakes.

I didn't get a ticket, the police didn't really care they just wanted to get us moved off the bridge.

Once moved off the bridge the police left, they didn't even ask my name. I can say they were very polite.   

The guy I hit was really nice and offered me a ride home as the car I had was undriveable. 

So, in my case neither the insurance guy nor the cop asked for my license.  As soon as the accident happened

I called the girl I borrowed the car from and she called the insurance company who sent a guy out to handled everything. 

However on the other hand, I had a friend get into an accident which wasn't his fault. He had a Thai license but still had issues, had to pay a fee to the police and to the guy that hit him. His insurance did cover the damage to the cars.  

So I was unlawful and had no issues, he was lawful and had issues. 

I dont condone doing anything illegal in Thailand because you just never know how the dice will roll.

You have been very lucky!If you would have killed some one i am sure it would have ended a little different.

• Like 2

On 5/3/2024 at 10:48 AM, Mike Lister said:

It's against the law for ANYONE to drive without a valid license here and there's a very good chance you will get stopped at some point and asked to produce it.

and?

• Confused 5
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 5/3/2024 at 10:54 AM, JBChiangRai said:

Wrong, It's 90 days and must have an IDP........

Plus, the OP hasn't got a licence...🤗

• Confused 1
  • Agree 1

On 5/3/2024 at 11:14 AM, PJ71 said:

But as with everything the consequence for not having one is negligible.

Your posts should be vetted.........🤔

• Agree 1

Posted (edited)
18 minutes ago, transam said:

Is that all you've got.................😂

Only on way to deal with that complete  🐔 womble...  its a complete waste of time to acknowledge the existence of someone so pathetic.

The only issue is, I'm still reminded of the existence of the forum equivalent of haemorrhoids when others quote these pests... 

Screenshot 2024-05-05 at 11.33.17.png

Edited by richard_smith237
  • Thanks 1

On 5/3/2024 at 11:11 AM, bkk_mike said:

They only signed the 1949 one, so even licences in English need an IDP.

But, ironically, you can use the later, 3 year IDP.

Didn't Thailand sign the 1968 Vienna as well? Because you can now get a 3-year International Permit in Thailand (in order to drive in the EU with your Thai driving license).

1 minute ago, richard_smith237 said:

Only on way to deal with that complete  🐔 womble...  its a complete waste of time to acknowledge the existence of someone so pathetic.

The only issue is, I'm still reminded of the existence of the forum equivalent of haemorrhoids when others quote these pests... 

Screenshot 2024-05-05 at 11.33.17.png

It's unfortunate that some on here are allowed to use a computer, I mean, who lets them.........😂

• Agree 1

I was stopped only once (in Hua Hin of course!)and asked for driving license. As soon as I opened my wallet and started pulling out the DL, the cop saw it was Thai, lost interest and walked away.

Of course, if you are involved in an accident, things would be different. And probably, the insurance would not be valid.

But TBH, letting you drivers license expire is a bit irresponsible. In over 40 years bumming around the world as an expat, I always made sure my DL was renewed. It's an important document, just like your passport, and can be used as an ID in emergencies. 

Some troll posts and replies have been removed.  Posts using derogatory nicknames or intentional misspelling of people’s names  will be removed.  If you don’t want your post to be removed, spell people’s names correctly.

• Please be polite and respectful to others

32 minutes ago, SpaceKadet said:

I was stopped only once (in Hua Hin of course!)and asked for driving license. As soon as I opened my wallet and started pulling out the DL, the cop saw it was Thai, lost interest and walked away.

Of course, if you are involved in an accident, things would be different. And probably, the insurance would not be valid.

But TBH, letting you drivers license expire is a bit irresponsible. In over 40 years bumming around the world as an expat, I always made sure my DL was renewed. It's an important document, just like your passport, and can be used as an ID in emergencies. 

Its possible this isn't a fair comment...   Op mentioned Covid.

Was it possible to renew a UK Driving License over Covid ??? (I've no idea).

It was not possible to renew a Thai Driving Licence over Covid, but it appears the Op was out of the country anyway. 

As stated earlier - It is unknown if the Op is currently in Thailand or in the UK and planning to return to Thailand - thus his options may be varied...  renew in the UK, which may mean taking a new test. Or, renew in Thailand, by taking a new test.

6 minutes ago, Robert Paulson said:

No problem. And if you get a ticket for no license just don’t pay it

Please post a 'sarcastic' emoji 🙃 (upside-down emoji) so that people know this is not a serious comment, otherwise you may earn the undeserved reputation of someone posting really <deleted>...   :whistling:

• Thumbs Up 1

41 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Its possible this isn't a fair comment...   Op mentioned Covid.

Was it possible to renew a UK Driving License over Covid ??? (I've no idea).

It was not possible to renew a Thai Driving Licence over Covid, but it appears the Op was out of the country anyway. 

As stated earlier - It is unknown if the Op is currently in Thailand or in the UK and planning to return to Thailand - thus his options may be varied...  renew in the UK, which may mean taking a new test. Or, renew in Thailand, by taking a new test.

I 've always renewed my DL through my country's embassy while bumming around. Unfortunately, it is no longer possible to renew my home country's DL anymore. Some EU rule stipulates that you must get a DL from the country where you're resident, so I'm stuck with Thai DL.

2 hours ago, SpaceKadet said:

I 've always renewed my DL through my country's embassy while bumming around. Unfortunately, it is no longer possible to renew my home country's DL anymore. Some EU rule stipulates that you must get a DL from the country where you're resident, so I'm stuck with Thai DL.

It depends where you are from (where your DL is based) I guess.

In the UK you can renew with a form from the Post office - so there is a way to circumnavigate this... 

I think its called a D1 Form... (its a pack of forms I think).

If someone has their old drivers licence, they may be able to renew with these forms (using their existing DL number) as the something known as 'entitlement to drive' which means as you have already qualified to drive the vehicles (for which you are endorsed), then that remains extant (as in, the 'qualification itself doesn't expire, just the permission).... 

... Thus, by reappling to the DVLA it may be possible to renew a drivers licence even after it as expired... 

(caveat - if an applicant has not been banned or are over 70 etc).

Thus: IF in Thailand already, the OP, could get a 'friend' to post over the D1 forms (if thats the correct set), and he fills them out, returns to his friend, who then posts them off from within the UK to the DVLA. 

>>> Its long winded - its far easier just to go and do the test at a DLT in Thailand !!!!