Restaurants

Thailand is a noisy place and it seems to me that Thais fear quiet as much as they seem to fear being alone.

I've kind of gotten used to the din, although we've found a number of places that don't have live music. We rotate among quiet and louder restaurants depending on our mood at the time.

But I understand your point.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, EVENKEEL said:
21 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

What a load of tosh.

tosh......5555  you said tosh....you brits are hilarious.

Indeed we are, so much more refined than " 'kin shlte".  

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, ikke1959 said:

but it seems impossible nowadays to find a restaurant that doesn't have singers or too loud music. It seems to be impossible to eat in a quiet place. 

Not at all impossible,  actually easy to find quiet restaurants.  You must have some unique issues.

• Agree 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Chris Daley said:

In 8 years of living in Thailand I have never been in a restaurant with singer or live music in it.  Cockroaches, rats, open sewers, filthy tables - yes.  But not live music.

I have, and actually one of, if not my favorite restaurant in Udon Thani, and TH.   Unfortunately closed up long ago.   Had an excellent 'free' free-flow wine night, which had 'low key' quality band/singers, and nothing intrusive, and actually very welcome as background music, or watching them.

Excellent food to top it off 👍👍

That said, not a fan of any music when dining, unless very low volume, and hopefully, instrumental, soft jazz preferred. 

Edited by KhunLA

3 hours ago, ikke1959 said:

We like to go out for dinner, but it seems impossible nowadays to find a restaurant that doesn't have singers or too loud music. It seems to be impossible to eat in a quiet place. 

Even in some shopping malls there are singers in a foodmarket...but that is not a place too for a diner in some atmosphere.. Are more people struggling with this? It keeps me at home

I much prefer places with singers, it's what makes Thailand so enjoyable. Not when singing western rubbish of course.

• Sad 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, Prubangboy said:

And then there is the relentless changeover towards EDM and soft hip hop in public spaces. Fair play, The Eagles day has come and gone.

Sacrilege and an abomination EDM etc

• Sad 1
  • Agree 1

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Chris Daley said:

In 8 years of living in Thailand I have never been in a restaurant with singer or live music in it.  Cockroaches, rats, open sewers, filthy tables - yes.  But not live music.

You neglected to mention the busy road 2m from your sidewalk table.

Edited by gamb00ler
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, EVENKEEL said:

tosh......5555  you said tosh....you brits are hilarious.

We are not allowed to say B o locks on here, How about Poppycock, crap, Balderdash, Tosh originated from The term Toshers which referred to Londoners who would go into sewers in Search of valuable items. :coffee1:

• Thumbs Up 1

49 minutes ago, proton said:

I much prefer places with singers, it's what makes Thailand so enjoyable. Not when singing western rubbish of course.

I find some western songs hilarious when Thais sing them, my favorite one is 'Proud Mary'  all together now...🎶..'Lolling Lolling Lolling on a Liver' :cheesy:

• Sad 2
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, brianthainess said:

I find some western songs hilarious when Thais sing them, my favorite one is 'Proud Mary'  all together now...🎶..'Lolling Lolling Lolling on a Liver' :cheesy:

Or when they cover the Christie's song and sing "Yellow Liver".

• Like 1

1 hour ago, brianthainess said:

Why did you not look for any Tosh in the sewers ? 

Why are you changing the replies? Against forum rules and all that.

• Confused 1

4 hours ago, proton said:

Good singers yes... but the almost everybody is crap... too loud to hide their misperformances

16 minutes ago, ikke1959 said:

Phetchaburi.... Even in Robinson they have now in the weekends and holidays students who sing there... Very loud and out of tone ......

So are you saying there're singers in the food court? 

37 minutes ago, ikke1959 said:

Phetchaburi.... Even in Robinson they have now in the weekends and holidays students who sing there... Very loud and out of tone ......

Phetchaburi ... hmm, restaurants with some ambiance, good luck with that.   Can't say I've spent a lot of time in the area, especially looking for anything more than a quick munch & moving on.

Sorry can't help you 

• Haha 1