Philippines is going to fill up

27 minutes ago, Bangkok Barry said:

I have a Thai wife. Makes a difference.

Agreed. My Thai wife either lives in the UK with me or Thailand with me. There's no in between. She won't visit Cambodia or Vietnam so little chance of even contemplating PI, let alone live in those places.

• Agree 1

6 minutes ago, Phat Dawg said:

awful food, high crime, poor infrastructure, typhoons, heavy poverty, too much religious evangelism, naah pass.

It's only a thought for me if i decide to live away for 6 months if the tax thing comes in, otherwise i wouldn't bother

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, georgegeorgia said:

The constant beeping of horns for no reason in Cebu City annoyed me.

I actually went out to the 711 one morning at 3am and about to cross the road when I seen a guy in a convertible no roof on beep his horny continually , not a single other car around ...but they are programmed in their mind to constantly...beep !

So as I was walking across the road I stopped and told him.

There's no other cars around why are you bloody beeping your horn? You stupid C

And he said, "Why are you asking for a thick lip?

• Haha 1
  • Agree 1

Posted (edited)
21 minutes ago, Phat Dawg said:

awful food, high crime, poor infrastructure, typhoons, heavy poverty, too much religious evangelism, naah pass.

Yes.  It is also a filthy hole.  Expats there wish they could live in Thailand, but many cannot afford it.  But, people should go check it out a lower living standard and lower quality of life may be just what they are looking for.

Edited by bkk6060
  • Confused 2
  • Haha 1

39 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

It's only a thought for me if i decide to live away for 6 months if the tax thing comes in, otherwise i wouldn't bother

If I had to stay away 6 months a year, I'd do 8 weeks in Malaysia, 6 at Lake Toba, 6 in Pokhara, and 6 in Vietmam.  The first year at least because there are other places that gave me fond memories. Lake Toba is a bit risky, as far as healthcare is concerned, otherwise I'd be happy to stay there much longer.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

Posted (edited)

Strange that the UK recognises Philippines for UK pensioners but not Thailand and I doubt they will change that ,too much $$$ to lose 

As for Philippines I was just listening to a pommy guy in YouTube channel Speaking of Asia who lived in Thailand and now lives in Philippines because of the pension situation.

He says supermarket is more expensive in the Philippines than Thailand !!

But....Look to tell you the truth I have found some of the supermarket prices here in Thailand more expensive than ALDI in Australia!

Edited by georgegeorgia
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, georgegeorgia said:

Strange that the UK recognises Philippines for UK pensioners but not Thailand and I doubt they will change that ,too much $$$ to lose 

As for Philippines I was just listening to a pommy guy in YouTube channel Speaking of Asia who lived in Thailand and now lives in Philippines because of the pension situation.

But....Look to tell you the truth I have found some of the supermarket prices here in Thailand more expensive than ALDI in Australia!

Local or imported stuff? 

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

For a start that Foodland at Jomtien is far more expensive than ALDI 

Deodorant,  Axe  129 baht compared to Australia 80 baht ,

other things vitamins ,cheese ,sliced ham ,tuna cans are $1 -40b in Australia all more expensive in Thailand 

Milk,  bread,coffees  same price as Australia 

I don't want to get off topic here but some food prices are cheaper in Australia,maybe it's just the location being Jomtien 

Edited by georgegeorgia
  • Agree 2

I would have lived in Sorsogon city if the woman was true.

Was already busy with buying a house, but you come up on owing land, you cant

More things happend with the woman and so all ended then.

I really loved that place, clear air and easy living. OK when it get to 17:00 , it gets a little busy then on roads.

Legazpi has an airport and also a very nice town, though it is close to a volcano.

Been to Bohol, Palawan and also visited the island Borocay. Big white (main) sandy beach, but sand is hard.

But also parts with fluffy white sand.

The rest is like a Pattaya on an island. Completely touristic.

I was in a hotel way in the back of the island (Artista Beach villa), way past all tourist things  

Dont know if still working as i see on google maps, permanently closed, but on other (booking ) sites still available.

First plane, then boat (only to leave by bathing through water, or locals getting you out) SO be aware to have some small money in your pocket to pay them. They carry you out of of the boat and your luggage. DOnt know if it has improved, as I speak of 2007.

Have visited several parts of the Phil up to 2013. Nice country, Ya, ok Manila. like a BK, dont care much about that.

The part Caloocan where I was , was doable.

Ok checked visum SRRV and has changed, as also pay tax on pension and other income.

They even have same table as Thailand for tax, only baht is then pesos.

https://www.bir.gov.ph/index.php/tax-information/income-tax.html/#it_rates

You do have a lifetime visum SRRV, but annual costs are 360$, beginning with a first 1400$.

https://pra.gov.ph/srrv/

But you can do all , no more immigration every year, no 90days reports, work if you want.

And it seems you can join in in healthcare services, way lower prices then in Thailand.

You can study expat experience 

https://nomadicfire.com/philippines-health-insurance-for-expats#how-to-get-philippine-health-insurance-for-300

https://nomadicfire.com/philippines-retirement-visa

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

4 hours ago, Phat Dawg said:

If you've spent time there it's an easy pass....

Unless the law has changed: It is easy to marry a Philippine female. But the same law makes it impossible to divorce (Catholizism in it's purest form).
Ergo: Think twice boys.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

55 minutes ago, swissie said:

Unless the law has changed: It is easy to marry a Philippine female. But the same law makes it impossible to divorce (Catholizism in it's purest form).
Ergo: Think twice boys.

Actually, if you have money and a lawyer, you can effectively get divorced.  They just call it annulment, rather than divorce.

Also, if it's not actually registered in your home country, separation is more likely to affect her (in that she can't remarry) than it is you.  As long as you don't go putting a house in her name or something like that...

26 minutes ago, QuantumQuandry said:

Actually, if you have money and a lawyer, you can effectively get divorced.  They just call it annulment, rather than divorce.

Also, if it's not actually registered in your home country, separation is more likely to affect her (in that she can't remarry) than it is you.  As long as you don't go putting a house in her name or something like that...

Very valuable information. Thanks. May this spread among Farangs, heading for the Philippines.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, Phat Dawg said:

You can get good fresh food at the markets.  So if you like to cook for yourself it's not bad.  Those fresh ingredients don't translate to good inexpensive food in the restaurants like they do in Thailand for some reason.  Also, accommodations are more expensive in the PI for some reason.  Typhoons are not really a problem on the western side.  That includes Manila, Subic, AC.  Cebu is somewhat protected but they did get nailed by that last one pretty good.

Edited by shdmn

9 hours ago, georgegeorgia said:

If you insist on eating vegimite you have to pay the price Bruce

13 hours ago, Denim said:

Get used to cocks crowing all over the place at all hours of the day , something I found irritating.

Try to find out the most popular places for expat retirees then go somewhere else .

Daily in Isaarn, but I can't say much, we have them courtesy of the MIL.

13 hours ago, torturedsole said:

Agreed. My Thai wife either lives in the UK with me or Thailand with me. There's no in between. She won't visit Cambodia or Vietnam so little chance of even contemplating PI, let alone live in those places.

Mine been with me to both and now educates the villagers on their pre-conceived notions, that were completely wrong about the two above countries. However, my other half is very well travelled these days.

• Agree 1

13 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

I am sure if it comes in, and you get a local Thai accountant, they are not expensive, and get them to find every loophole and claimable thing from a salary to your partner right down to your claimable health insurance, and I am certain there will be plenty more we can argue, the tax won't be a big deal for retirees that most can't cope with.

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, shdmn said:

I remember when lots of guys were saying they were moving to Cambodia way back.  I think it was because everyone thought Thailand was getting too expensive.  Maybe because of more visa hassles too. Almost none of them did or all moved back within a year or two.  Just sayin.

Speaking for myself.  I am taking a much harder look at the PI.  This tax thing and more visa hassles are part of it, but the air quality is also a huge deal for me.  Call me crazy but I like to be able to breathe clean air.  I've been comparing and the PI air quality is much better during burning season.

What about somewhere like Rayong or Koh Chang?

6 hours ago, shdmn said:

I remember when lots of guys were saying they were moving to Cambodia way back.  I think it was because everyone thought Thailand was getting too expensive.  Maybe because of more visa hassles too. Almost none of them did or all moved back within a year or two.  Just sayin.

Speaking for myself.  I am taking a much harder look at the PI.  This tax thing and more visa hassles are part of it, but the air quality is also a huge deal for me.  Call me crazy but I like to be able to breathe clean air.  I've been comparing and the PI air quality is much better during burning season.

Actually, a lot of guys have moved to Cambodia, more's the pity for Cambodia!

I can enjoy Cambodia for five days and that's my upper limit, then I want to get back to Thailand.

Now Vietnam, I could go there for months.

Philippines doesn't have the' wow or drag factor' for me to go there, in fairness, I've never been.