Motorcycle Rider Dies in High-Speed Collision 

webfact

9 minutes ago, NoDisplayName said:

Assuming XMAX 300

The top speed of the Yamaha XMax 300 is quite impressive, reaching 89 mph in a full tuck.

https://motostatz.com/yamaha-xmax-300-top-speed-acceleration/

143 kmh

A decent investigator could get a very close estimate of the speed based on the damage etc. Looking at what's left of the Fortuner's rear end, he was for sure travelling.

Those XMax and the like are ripe for tuning. Obviously I've no idea if that is the case here, but it's not difficult and not that expensive to make them go considerable quicker than stock. A friend of mine bought one a few months ago and spent another 150k to make it go "faster". Each to their own.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Woof999 said:

A decent investigator could get a very close estimate of the speed based on the damage etc. Looking at what's left of the Fortuner's rear end, he was for sure travelling.

Those XMax and the like are ripe for tuning. Obviously I've no idea if that is the case here, but it's not difficult and not that expensive to make them go considerable quicker than stock. A friend of mine bought one a few months ago and spent another 150k to make it go "faster". Each to their own.

A good investigator could measure the tire marks left by the motorcycle attempting to stop quickly at 9:30 in the morning traveling at a very high rate of speed in the emergency stop lane.

Oh, wait...........no skid marks?

Chon-Buri-accident.jpeg

• Haha 1
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, Screaming said:

Anyone who gets on a motorbike in Thailand has a mental illness.

And how about people who spend hours every day in cars and busses and trains instead to maybe 20% of that time on bikes?

How do you call those people who waste 10% of their life waiting in traffic?

• Confused 1

4 hours ago, 2long said:

How can they possibly know he was travelling at 160? Even if the (digital) speedo was showing that, it could be for any reason. I'm confident that this figure was created from assumption due to the damage.

And if the guy's front tyre had as much tread as its rear, there's no hope!

They don't...    The speedo was stuck at 160 kmh...   The G force on impact could just as easily have swung the needle to zero, or higher (if in fact it was a needle and not a digital speedo)...    

Thus the interpretation of speed based on the 'damaged speedo' reading alone is highly flawed... 

That said - looking at the rear of the fortuner... the speed was 'jeffing fast'...         160 kmh is as good a guess as any.... could have been more, unlikely to be less than 80 kmh (just guessing from the damage).

5 hours ago, webfact said:

The speedometer on the deceased’s motorcycle indicated his speed to be over 160 km per hour, leading the police to believe

6 hours ago, webfact said:

The speedometer on the deceased’s motorcycle indicated his speed to be over 160 km per hour

THat is not a reasoned conclusion.

Assuming the bike was a 400 cc top of the range - it would be hard pushed to get up to 160kph.

What it possible is the electronic speedo or mechanical was affected y the collision. If the wheel of the bike had left the ground during impact it may also have spun up to that speed whilst absorbing energy from the two vehicles.