Luxury Mercedes Maybach Involved in 11.2M Baht Accident

webfact

benz4.jpg

A crash involving a custom Mercedes-Benz S580e Maybach and a pickup truck recently surfaced online, causing shockwaves due to the resulting 11.2 million baht worth of damage sustained by the luxury vehicle.

Images of the mishap were published on TikTok by a user named Banknitikorn, spurring comments and concerns about the hefty repair costs of the exclusive car, not assembled in Thailand. The vehicle, distinguished by a two-tone paint job valued at around 1 million baht, suffered substantial damages in the rear.

Furthermore, the pickup truck bore significant impact at the front, leading to severe deformation. Yet, despite the visible damage to both vehicles, reactions of the online community centered mostly around the expensive Mercedes.

image.jpeg

Video screenshot

The accident sparked a range of sentiments, from dismay and sympathy to light-hearted humor. Some users humorously questioned if the sale of the pickup truck, referred to as Father Onew, would suffice to cover the Maybach's repair costs. This follows Mercedes-Benz's policy of preferentially replacing parts rather than repairing them following an accident.

Others offered words of encouragement, optimistically looking forward to a generous response from the insurance company. This incident has sparked discussions about the high maintenance and repair costs of luxury vehicles, and the burden faced by those involved in accidents with such high-value cars.

This unique accident, now viral, serves as a reminder of the unpredictable nature of life and the shared empathy within the online community during challenging times.

TOP Picture courtesy of Khaosod

news-logo-btm.jpg

-- 2024-05-07

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

• Haha 2

17 minutes ago, webfact said:

The vehicle, distinguished by a two-tone paint job valued at around 1 million baht,

Seems cheap for a Mercedes.

I think that is the estimate of the repair cost.

• Confused 1

All else aside look at how the Benz faired compared to the made in Thailand truck.... I am always amazed at how totaled any Thai truck is even in seemingly soft accidents. Then in a hard accident they are usually totally dismantled...makes one wonder a bit 🙄

1 hour ago, webfact said:

the resulting 11.2 million baht worth of damage sustained by the luxury vehicle

I think this is a misprint as the top of the line Maybach cost is around 12million baht (+ of course any import taxes) 

The price of the 2023 Mercedes-Maybach S-Class is expected to start around $194,550 and go up to $350,000 depending on the trim and options.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, dinsdale said:

The car goes for around Bt17-18mil and the repair cost for what looks not particularly serious (indeed seems to have come off much better than the pickup) is 11.2 mil.? Well something smells here. 3/4 of the price of the car in damage would normally result in a write off.

Value of vehicle is probably 11.2 and repair cost 1 million. ChatGPT messed up and got its digital wires crossed which is common. I especially like the "Father Onew" slipped in there 🤣

• Agree 1

20 minutes ago, mania said:

I think this is a misprint as the top of the line Maybach cost is around 12million baht (+ of course any import taxes) 

I think he explains the price at 2:21. He says assembled in Thailand for 11.2 mil and has a custom paint job I think.

• Thumbs Up 1

Posted (edited)
13 minutes ago, SABloke said:

Value of vehicle is probably 11.2 and repair cost 1 million. ChatGPT messed up and got its digital wires crossed which is common. I especially like the "Father Onew" slipped in there 🤣

No. I looked it up. The 1 mil is an extra for the paint job. The repair to the tail end is Bt11.2 mil.

Mercedes-Benz Maybach S-Class PriceThe Maybach S-Class is priced at ฿17.54 Million.

https://www.zigwheels.co.th/en/new-cars/mercedes-benz/maybach-s-class#:~:text=Mercedes-Benz Maybach S-Class Price,priced at ฿17.54 Million.

Edit: No. I'm wrong. S580e goes for around the 10 mil mark so you are correct. My apologies. So yes the article is a total shambles. 

Edited by dinsdale
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Tropicalevo said:

Seems cheap for a Mercedes.

I think that is the estimate of the repair cost.

As @SABloke has already pointed out, I think somewhere in their excitement, they got the numbers arse-about-tit, and it's an 11.2 m baht Maybach needing about 1 m baht's worth of repairs.

Who gives a toss?

Edited by NanLaew
  • Agree 2

4 minutes ago, dinsdale said:

I looked it up. The 1 mil is an extra for the paint job. The repair to the tail end is Bt11.2 mil.

Crikey  what a rip off !!!  some people obviously have more money than they know what to do with.

4 minutes ago, johng said:

Crikey  what a rip off !!!  some people obviously have more money than they know what to do with.

Yes, and that's why...

2 hours ago, bendejo said:

People who can afford cars like that don't get them fixed, they go out and buy a new one.

Sorted.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I think some figures got transposed somewhere along the line:

resulting 11.2 million baht worth of damage sustained by the luxury vehicle.  

Instead of:  

resulting in damage sustained by the 11.2m  baht luxury vehicle.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

I would love to see legally correct information about who has to pay how much in this situation.

Maybe with options like both have an insurance, may one or both don't have an insurance, etc.

Personally, I think if someone damages the property of someone else, then he should pay.

But if someone puts something on the street which cost millions to fix for what be a minor damage on another car, I don't think above rule should apply anymore.

So, what is the law in Thailand? 

1 hour ago, OneMoreFarang said:

I would love to see legally correct information about who has to pay how much in this situation.

Maybe with options like both have an insurance, may one or both don't have an insurance, etc.

Personally, I think if someone damages the property of someone else, then he should pay.

But if someone puts something on the street which cost millions to fix for what be a minor damage on another car, I don't think above rule should apply anymore.

So, what is the law in Thailand? 

Personally, in my opinion, cars worth more than 1 million baht should have 1st class insurance.
If they don't have that insurance, they should accept the maximum sum paid out by the insurance of the 2nd party.

In such cases where the driver who caused the accident is clearly in fault (like this), the driver should face a restriction to drive a certain time.

3 hours ago, mania said:

All else aside look at how the Benz faired compared to the made in Thailand truck.... I am always amazed at how totaled any Thai truck is even in seemingly soft accidents. Then in a hard accident they are usually totally dismantled...makes one wonder a bit 🙄

From Honda in particular, it is well known that the models made for the Thai market have a cheaper and lighter construction.

• Thumbs Up 1

5 hours ago, bendejo said:

People who can afford cars like that don't get them fixed, they go out and buy a new one.

Bizarre.  People who can afford cars like that can afford them because they don't throw money away. Crazy statement.

1 hour ago, Confuscious said:

Personally, in my opinion, cars worth more than 1 million baht should have 1st class insurance.
If they don't have that insurance, they should accept the maximum sum paid out by the insurance of the 2nd party.

In such cases where the driver who caused the accident is clearly in fault (like this), the driver should face a restriction to drive a certain time.

I have always had 1st class insurance or my vehicles including big bikes (hate the term). However, after bing reversed into the side of my Everest the insurance company tried to only cover a fill and paint. No way! Replace the door. The guy was snake eye drunk and the police did nothing just let him drive off after admitting 100% fault.

• Thanks 1

While the pick-up on the photograph looks toast, the Maybach's repair can never ever account for 11+ million Thai Baht - wondering what kind of quite obviously excellent weed must have been smoked when those figures were thrown up into the air .......... 

This amount results in EUR 281'000+; the whole car brand new clocks up a suggested sales price of THB 18.7 mio; throw in an extra million for the special paint and you're just short of 20 million Thai baht. Go figure ........... 

11 million baht is reasonable for the Mercedes repair if you consider that they will need to hire a private jet to fly the parts from Germany. 

I read a while back that Mercedes was going to lock the hood on their cars so only the Mercedes licensed service locations could open it. F'ing crooks. I'll take a Lexus anytime over one of those.