Pattaya city walking on right side

Destiny1990

Posted (edited)

Most countries walk on the same side they drive on so for Thailand that would be the left. As an Aussie I also walk on the left.

The ony ones I see walk on the right look like American (or European?)

Edited by Pattaya57
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

Posted (edited)
22 hours ago, Destiny1990 said:

The result is that we have to zig zag over the pavements depending what nationality is walking towards us

Any solution?

Don't zig-zag, keep walking straight, make them zig-zag...why should they be allowed to inconvenience you, non-Indians make the rules, right? 

Edited by Liverpool Lou
  • Thumbs Up 1

23 hours ago, petermik said:

I take a walk on the wild side.........

10 hours ago, champers said:

And all the coloured girls go ...  hey sexy man.

You have seen me out obviously champers.....:cheesy:

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, NONG CHOK said:

I strictly walk on the right side so I can see the coming traffic. I prefer that than having those cretins coming up behind me.

More important, the ongoing traffic can see the cretin coming up ahead of them and prepare to dodge. Even one cretin can create havoc among the unwary.

Posted (edited)

Did you know that when viewing earth from space the Southern hemisphere rotates clockwise whilst the Northern hemisphere rotates anticlockwise. Apply the same logic.

Edited by Oink

On 5/10/2024 at 10:06 AM, Destiny1990 said:

In most of Pattaya city the majority is usually walking on the right side of the (broken) pavements.

I think we have a perfect example of 'farang think too much'....    

There is no, keep left or keep right, social norm when walking around Thailand, none whatsoever... 

The Op maybe projecting some adaptation of a form of 'escalator etiquette' that exists on public transport systems in some countries onto Thailands pavements / sidewalks. 

• Agree 1

On 5/12/2024 at 2:19 AM, NONG CHOK said:

I walk around the Wongamat area at 6am every morning, my walks usually last 2 hours. I strictly walk on the right side so I can see the coming traffic. I prefer that than having those cretins coming up behind me.

Very sensible... particularly if there is no pavement / sidewalk to walk on.

I'll add, if walking down the pavement or sidewalk, I'll always walk on the 'road-side' side of my Wife, the same with my Son... I'll place myself between the road and them... 

... the issue in Thailand of course is that there are other 'dangers' from boiling hot oil to soi dogs etc down some streets... so its not only vehicles we have to watch out for, but motorcycles on the pavement, boiling oil at face-height (when  my son was younger)... and the risk of accidentally stepping on a dog etc...  then there are the dodgy drain covers etc... 

... eyes everywhere...    Then there is the risk of handbag snatches.. so when out and about, I tell wife to keep her handbag on her arm, between us...   (I personally know of 3 handbag snatches on friends in the past years in Bangkok - motorcycle thieves)... 

All of the above doesn't take a great deal of thought - just a bit of alertness... 

I'm far more at ease walking down a pavement with my Wife and Son in Japan or my home town in the UK (not cities though) than I am on many of Thailands streets...  

I have always walked on the side where I can see traffic coming towards me, and can step aside if necessary..

IMO having traffic behind me, particularly in Thailand, is akin to having a death wish.

• Agree 1

11 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

I have always walked on the side where I can see traffic coming towards me, and can step aside if necessary..

IMO having traffic behind me, particularly in Thailand, is akin to having a death wish.

OP was talking about walking on pavements not roads. I think most smart people in Pattaya walk on the right on roads so they can see traffic coming...I do notice lots of people on Soi Bukhao not doing that though 😀