Finance Ministry Moves to Introduce 7% VAT on Inexpensive Imported Items

webfact

3 hours ago, webfact said:

The Finance Ministry is set to present a proposal this week to revise the Revenue Code, imposing a 7% value added tax (VAT) on all imported goods valued under 1,500 baht.

This move aims to level the playing field between local suppliers, who are already subject to VAT, and online overseas sellers who have been exempt from this tax.

China will not be happy. 

3 hours ago, Pique Dard said:

"Finance Ministry Moves to Introduce 7% VAT on Inexpensive Imported Items"

..i haven't seen those inexpensive imported items

Lazada.com  ?

1 hour ago, CartagenaWarlock said:

Now I have to pay 7% tax on all transparent baby doll nighties for my concubines from Shein. Wow. What a financial burden on me! 

you know women who still wear transparent nighties?

Are all these women under 90?

still, nothing like a sag-grab .......

Hahaha.

• Haha 2

17 minutes ago, nobodysfriend said:

If you want to avoid headaches , best is not to buy this cheap chinese stuff anyway .

The quality is often so low that it finishes in the bin after just a short time .

And , to replace it , you have  to buy another , similar item of better quality and higher price . Cheap chinese stuff is a waste of money and time . But , if you need something that bis not expensive anyway , like a water tab for 100 baht , it will cost you 107 baht in the future . Not a reason to become desperate .

Same item often is for sale by local sellers , no additional tax will apply .

Anyway , even with the 7% VAT applied , most stuff here is still much cheaper than in your home country , where it is often really excessively taxed .

How long till this government will raize the VAT to 10 % ?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, gargamon said:

So all the AliExpress stuff I used to get delivered with no VAT will now be taxed. Almost seems like the administration costs will be higher than the amounts collected.

You are thinking things through, not something Thais are known for.

So the Customs department is going to examine every item that arrives into Thailand from overseas and assess the tax due on it, which will then have to be collected by the delivery companies who will be used as unpaid tax collectors. That'll work, won't it. Add an extra month to delivery times.

3 hours ago, Pique Dard said:

"Finance Ministry Moves to Introduce 7% VAT on Inexpensive Imported Items"

..i haven't seen those inexpensive imported items

Quite right.

Thailand is working hard at making imported items 'expensive', and now even more expensive is a new objective.

A pack of Italian coffee, with all the added costs of the imported items in my country, costs about 100 bahts ($4. Can). And I can buy regularly Lavazza coffee on sale at home for 75 bahts ($3. Can.)

Thailand managed to tax this coffee brand until it reached 500 bahts.

And now more.

Oh well.... How about a cup of nice coffee from Chiang Mai...

Lavazza coffee.jpg

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Bangkok Barry said:

So the Customs department is going to examine every item that arrives into Thailand from overseas and assess the tax due on it, which will then have to be collected by the delivery companies who will be used as unpaid tax collectors. That'll work, won't it. Add an extra month to delivery times.

No, just let Lazada and Shopee add VAT the moment you click buy.

Ali Express will be a bit more tricky, but doable.

Shopping 🛍 outside these platforms will still be dealt with case by case.

1 hour ago, dpcjsr said:

This is another part of a consistent pattern by the new government to raise revenue. They seem to be desperate for more money which is not good for most of us. Anyone else having fond memories of Prayut? lol

most of it probably because of Prayut as he left the coffers empty and the debts piling up, submarines anyone?