Thailand Set to Recriminalise Cannabis Amid Expert Outcry

webfact

4 minutes ago, sungod said:

Apparently I'm a stoner as I use cannabis.

I'm using the same logic that anyone who drinks alcohol is an alcoholic, or maybe you would prefer p!ss head?

If stoner is offensive, suggest another description.

I don't agree calling drinkers alcoholics is correct, but p?ss head, boozer, drinker is descriptive although p?ss head is probably offensive.

• Confused 3
  • Sad 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, dinsdale said:

You know for a fact that "Thailand's youth" are abusing dope do you or is this just an opinion? As for youth what age would this be? Bear in mind that "Thailand's youth" are also using alcohol, tobacco, ice and yaba. Of course your generalist statement is nonsense. Yes, there is drug abuse but I'll bet the majority of abuse or casual consumption will primarily be alcohol and tabacco. You don't need to be an "expert" to work this one out.

The facts are spelled out by the medical experts in Thailand. Not from me, sir.

"

The move to recriminalise cannabis marks a significant departure from last year’s decriminalisation, which saw thousands of cannabis shops proliferate across Thailand.

This might be an indicator of general use by the youth here, or at the lest, a very popular use....

• Confused 3
  • Haha 1
  • Agree 1

I think a lot of you are missing a point here:  The ganja-shops are for tourists and I doubt that opening up for sale has had much impact on Thai youth.  They will not walk in to one of these new shops and pay 300 - 800 Baht pr.gram!  Those who are interested in continuing their practice of smoking will keep on buying the «un-certified» ganja at f.ex 50Baht for 7-8 grams.  For them nothing has changed, the politicians (and probably doctors etc) are probably just sore because they didn´t get in on the game in time.

• Agree 1

5 minutes ago, Imkah said:

I think a lot of you are missing a point here:  The ganja-shops are for tourists and I doubt that opening up for sale has had much impact on Thai youth.  They will not walk in to one of these new shops and pay 300 - 800 Baht pr.gram!  Those who are interested in continuing their practice of smoking will keep on buying the «un-certified» ganja at f.ex 50Baht for 7-8 grams.  For them nothing has changed, the politicians (and probably doctors etc) are probably just sore because they didn´t get in on the game in time.

No. Shops all over Thailand not just in the tourist spots and not just for tourists.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

6 hours ago, webfact said:

The Minister of Public Health is introducing a more stringent regime for medical cannabis use, backed by medical professionals who have declared the previous liberalisation policy a disaster

Anutins populist policy... 

Good decision! 

It has always been an easy entrance into becoming an addict! 

Close all those drug shops and not forget the shisha places where the cri....l Arabs hang out! 

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1
  • Agree 1

Are there any news sources that actually provide factual local news translated to English who report actual news and not just bs that certain people say that they would like to see happen? Weed isn’t going anywhere shops are not shutting down and are operating normally. 

• Agree 2

The move to recriminalise cannabis marks a significant departure from last year’s decriminalisation

Critics of the 2022 liberalisation have been particularly vocal

More great reporting. But nothing to see here. Just another government U-turn. Maybe next week they'll U-turn on vaping.

• Agree 2

Too late to turn back anything.

Should have thought about it before this free for all policy. 

A ban or re - listing just creates a huge black market and endless possibilities for extortion and tea money.

And medical society is against it because they want to have a piece of the cake. 

Meaning cannabis prescribed through doctors for a 20 Baht piece of paper and a 100 Baht initial check up. Then selling the weed in licenced hospitals or pharmacies. 

That's how it will turn out. 1000 percent sure

• Agree 1

Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, dinsdale said:

You know for a fact that "Thailand's youth" are abusing dope do you or is this just an opinion? As for youth what age would this be? Bear in mind that "Thailand's youth" are also using alcohol, tobacco, ice and yaba. Of course your generalist statement is nonsense. Yes, there is drug abuse but I'll bet the majority of abuse or casual consumption will primarily be alcohol and tabacco. You don't need to be an "expert" to work this one out.

We all know that alcohol and tobacco are unhealthy drugs, but cannot see why two unhealthy drugs should be an argument to introduce another unhealthy drug.

Edited by Geir Rasch
  • Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

Why drive it underground again. The weed lovers will still get their supplies, thereby increasing related crimes. The government ought to licence it out at a fee of, say, an initial 5 million baht, an annual fee of, say, 1 million baht, and a 200% duty. These figures are guesswork, but a closer study could be made.
This would considerably reduce the number of outlets, and as the prices would have to reflect the higher establishment costs, it would considerably reduce the number of potential customers.

• Love It 1
  • Thumbs Up 1