US Passport Renewal Hell - Thailand Edition May 2024

1 hour ago, Berkshire said:

Some of us just renewed our US passports recently--myself included--and it was rather painless....

me too - last year - no problems at all but I used an agent and let them deal with it... they do this all the time. 

• Thumbs Up 2

16 hours ago, connda said:

I'm not going to name who they are (Thai defamation) but they are supposed to be experts.
But I'm not sure that I got the "regular" staff photographer.  The staff seemed confused about what they were doing, and my wife who was talking with them was absolutely livid when we left.  I was not a fun trip to Chiang Mai. 

Go to your local Thai post to get the 100 baht mailing stamp, easy. Recieved renewed PP with no problems. SCB bank cheque (or money order check)

• Thumbs Up 1

16 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

Others don't seem to have similar problems .

You can use an agent if it's too difficult. 

https://aseannow.com/topic/1316179-american-passport-renewal-process/ 

For Passport photos you need to get from expert photo shops. 

Agreed. It has been awhile but not too much of a bother for me once every 10 years.

1 hour ago, Berkshire said:

it was rather painless....

It was tedious but process was fully laid out.

Paid online using Pay.gov without issue by a US credit card having a US billing address.

I renewed my passport including payment receipt in 2022 by mail to US embassy Bangkok from Bang Khun Thian district (Rama 2). Got passport pics from Kodak shop in Central Plaza; used them in previous passport renewal. They knew all the US rules for the photos to be acceptable, including sufficient border for the picture to be stapled to application.

Embassy required a 100 baht bank draft using KB (form of prepayment varied according to what bank is used) to cover its cost to mail back new and previous passports; as no one at the bank apparently never issued a bank draft before, took bank an hour to produce, even though the embassy provided what a generic bank draft looked like for that bank. The bank disagreed with the Embassy as to the name of the Embassy going on the draft. I was able to directly call the Embassy from KB to confirm for the bank the correct recipient name on the bank draft.

Sent whole package by Thailand Post EMS. To verify my name Post asked for my passport which of course was I the package. I showed my Thai driver license and offered photo of my current passport held I my tablet. No problem. DHL refused to deliver the passport package, saying it didn't want responsibility if passport was lost in transit within Thailand. Going out of Thailand it would deliver the passport package. But suggested I can use DHL E-commerce online to try using DHL; but Post was a short walk nearby.

Three weeks later received my new passport along with the retired passport. 

• Confused 1

now the EXACT same situation from someone else...ME

I entered LOS on the covid return era when we had to test and wait in a hotel etc....thus so deep into the paperwork etc'that i forgot my PP expired in 4 months upon return...which i noted trying to check in early on my flight.....Singapore air(ugh)

The IO at BKK noted it as i passed thru IMM at swampy and I noted I will reappy asap...which I did ,...from CM....thailand

I actually went to CM US embassy to just confirm what was needed and to double check i was doing it right, at my OWN discretion and they gave me the same paper that anyone can download off the site.....i checked the "book" box

went to my bank and got the money order....easy as checking the form.....stay with me gents.....

THEN i went to the Post office and placed PP--form and check into and ENVELOPE!!!! difficult right?!!!! i know!!!

they then gave me a tracking # for it and I left and went about my day..also didnt forget the PP pic..you know the SAME one we ALL should be very familar with having gone to IMM office every 2 months(my choice) and having to do extensions....

OK...fast forward 3 weeks and guess what!???? I received my NEW PP.........whew..how exhausting and complicated!!!!

(note sarcasm x1000).........yep im on my 3rd PP and dont know how I will ever get around the measurements of my PP pic

If ONLY there was a tool of some sorts...to cut...to shape...to adjust that darn confusing tiny pic.....oh the humanity!!!!!!  smh

• Confused 1

Just now, Sticky Rice Balls said:

now the EXACT same situation from someone else...ME

I entered LOS on the covid return era when we had to test and wait in a hotel etc....thus so deep into the paperwork etc'that i forgot my PP expired in 4 months upon return...which i noted trying to check in early on my flight.....Singapore air(ugh)

The IO at BKK noted it as i passed thru IMM at swampy and I noted I will reappy asap...which I did ,...from CM....thailand

I actually went to CM US embassy to just confirm what was needed and to double check i was doing it right, at my OWN discretion and they gave me the same paper that anyone can download off the site.....i checked the "book" box

went to my bank and got the money order....easy as checking the form.....stay with me gents.....

THEN i went to the Post office and placed PP--form and check into and ENVELOPE!!!! difficult right?!!!! i know!!!

they then gave me a tracking # for it and I left and went about my day..also didnt forget the PP pic..you know the SAME one we ALL should be very familar with having gone to IMM office every 2 months(my choice) and having to do extensions....

OK...fast forward 3 weeks and guess what!???? I received my NEW PP.........whew..how exhausting and complicated!!!!

(note sarcasm x1000).........yep im on my 3rd PP and dont know how I will ever get around the measurements of my PP pic

If ONLY there was a tool of some sorts...to cut...to shape...to adjust that darn confusing tiny pic.....oh the humanity!!!!!!  smh

Hell Indeed...One night in BKK makes a hard man humble..I can feel the Devil walking next to me..............

tomorrows post.........how to get that last bit of toothpaste out of the tube.....forget it i'll just let my teeth rot....life is so hard!!

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, connda said:

"Prepaid envelope cannot be accepted if you are applying for a U.S. passport in Thailand."

With this phrase they mean this: We cannot accept just any stamped empty envelope you provide to send your passport back, you have to use the Courier Pass option.

They do not make it clear enough.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

I renewed my pp recently.

From previous experience (10 year back) I had my photos taken locally.

They were rejected at AU embassy.

This time I took trouble to drive to professional studio.

I had guidelines of AU requirements.

They took quite some time processing and adjusting.

200b. Seemed ridiculously cheap. 

2 hours ago, Berkshire said:

Some of us just renewed our US passports recently--myself included--and it was rather painless....

same here....checked box...got money order from bank..went to post office--new PP 3 weeks later thru the thai postal

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Phillip9 said:

Where are you getting your information??????

That's not what the official us embassy instructions say.  You pay a fee for return postage, not an actual envelope.

https://th.usembassy.gov/u-s-citizen-services/passports/instructions-for-ds-82-processing-by-mail-and-online-fee-payment-for-u-s-citizens-residing-in-thailand/

I'm getting my information right the link you supplied.  It's not made up.  See screenshots:

https://th.usembassy.gov/u-s-citizen-services/passports/instructions-for-ds-82-processing-by-mail-and-online-fee-payment-for-u-s-citizens-residing-in-thailand/

Step 7: Return envelope (image):
Screenshotfrom2024-05-2814-17-43.png.88dde0e9369d20fd62ca89e22dbc877f.png

Checklist - See "Note" in bright red (image):
Screenshotfrom2024-05-2814-18-36.png.18d2fe603dc606a6263e214928cc8039.png

So we are prepaying for the Courier Pass Back Envelope - but - Note: Prepaid envelope cannot be accepted if you are applying for a U.S. passport in Thailand.
And I'm applying for a U.S. passport in Thailand!  I ain't making this up - just writing down what I'm seeing. 

Signed,
Totally Confused 😕

Edited by connda
  • Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

20 minutes ago, klauskunkel said:

With this phrase they mean this: We cannot accept just any stamped empty envelope you provide to send your passport back, you have to use the Courier Pass option.

They do not make it clear enough.

Ok!  I can buy that.  Sorry, but I'm cursed with an over-analytical mind that tends to shred things and then reads between the lines.  That's probably what it is.  I should offer to edit their webpage to make it clear.  It would be easy enough:

Note:  Do not use a self-addressed, stamped envelope if you are applying for a passport in Thailand.  You may only use the Thai Post Office Courier Pass Back Envelope which can be purchase via the Thailand Post Mart website.

There - fixed it.  :thumbsup:

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

4 minutes ago, Klong Song said:

Make sure you send them a bank draft not a cashiers check. Painless when I did mine. Took about two weeks for the new passport to arrive. 

I looked online last night and Thailand is on the U.S. Pay.gov site, so I should be able to pay directly via that site using my U.S. credit card.  But thanks for the "heads up." I'll keep that in mind if I run into problems.  :thumbsup:

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, Phillip9 said:

Where are you getting your information??????

That's not what the official us embassy instructions say.  You pay a fee for return postage, not an actual envelope.

Nope. You pay for return postage AND an actual envelope, which is provided by them. Just did it earlier this year. 

16 hours ago, novacova said:

The guy at the place I suggested to you earlier knows exactly what is required, he hasn’t failed once over the years, even with the pp photos.

What place was that?  You're talking with someone with short-term memory issues.

• Confused 1

2 minutes ago, connda said:

I looked online last night and Thailand is on the U.S. Pay.gov site, so I should be able to pay directly via that site using my U.S. credit card.  But thanks for the "heads up." I'll keep that in mind if I run into problems.  :thumbsup:

Can pay with US credit card, no prob. If you care to go to my thread from earlier this year, can read about my detailed experience. A bit tedious but smooth and E-Z so long as you are diligent. 

https://aseannow.com/topic/1321954-usa-passport-renewal-by-post-report/

• Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, connda said:

Yes you can.  I did.  I paid the $130 with a US credit card, and the Courier Pass Back with my Thai credit card.  You can go to this website, but you'll need to register to be able to purchase (https://www.thailandpostmart.com/product/1013460000929).  They have several options to pay, if I recall.  I did try to pay at the Post Office, but the counter staff didn't know much about it.  The supervisor suggested it could only be done online.  As for your photo, any photo shop should know what a US passport photo requires.  I went to a shop at Mee Chok plaza (near the Rim Ping) and just told them I needed US passport photos.  Didn't have to mention the size, white background, none of that.  They knew. 

• Thanks 1

The process is easy. I did it online & by mail last year.  Just follow the directions EXACTLY.  No fudging = no drama! I got mine back in 5 or 6 as advertised. Worked like a charm!  Good luck!

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

I'm very late to this party, so you are probably already sorted.  I renewed my passport by mail in November 2021. I just followed the directions on the Embassy website. The only thing I messed up on was including something to do with sending me the new passport in Thailand (was an envelop or money? I don't remember), but they sent me an email (or they called) and I took care of it straight away. I thought it was quite easy. 

I've never found photo shops to know the correct size. I've used 2 different shops in the last 15 yrs. I check the size needed for the forms (US passport, visa application, extensions, etc.) and tell them what I want.  As someone else stated, you can trim the size that you currently have rather than going to another shop.  (I remember many years ago one of our passports (my son or I) had a rectangular photo and they accepted it because the face size was correct).

11 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

You can post in forum "immigration and visas to other countries" which is more appropriate forum.

You may not receive a reply.

I recently used MAIL option to renew my Oz pp.

Very simple. Turn around 20 days.

You mail to AU embassy Bangkok seamless and mailed back to you. 

I just sent my application in and today the embassy wrote back that my Mastercard from Bangkok Bank couldn't be processed so tomorrow I will go to Bangkok Bank to find out why.What a nuisance and it probably means I will have to use another way to pay.As regards the photos the Aus Embassy has very strict requirements about size and looks

1 hour ago, AgMech Cowboy said:

I'm very late to this party, so you are probably already sorted.  I renewed my passport by mail in November 2021. I just followed the directions on the Embassy website. The only thing I messed up on was including something to do with sending me the new passport in Thailand (was an envelop or money? I don't remember), but they sent me an email (or they called) and I took care of it straight away. I thought it was quite easy. 

I've never found photo shops to know the correct size. I've used 2 different shops in the last 15 yrs. I check the size needed for the forms (US passport, visa application, extensions, etc.) and tell them what I want.  As someone else stated, you can trim the size that you currently have rather than going to another shop.  (I remember many years ago one of our passports (my son or I) had a rectangular photo and they accepted it because the face size was correct).

I honestly just give them whatever photos I happen to have. I’ve done passport photos a couple times over the years have a stack of them. I then just cut them to the size with scissors for the us passport. I remember because my cuts weren’t even straight. In other words, I don’t think it’s too exacting. 

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, briando said:

I just sent my application in and today the embassy wrote back that my Mastercard from Bangkok Bank couldn't be processed so tomorrow I will go to Bangkok Bank to find out why.What a nuisance and it probably means I will have to use another way to pay.As regards the photos the Aus Embassy has very strict requirements about size and looks

Mods - can we keep this on topic: US Passport Renewal.  Please!  Thanks.

• Agree 1

So, why do you need to send two passport pictures if you are only sending one DS-82 Renewal application.  Or am I missing something here.  Are you suppose to send two DS-82 applications (although the checklist does not state to do so)

Screenshotfrom2024-05-2821-36-15.png.57d07d6a90fe934f4c9265e0204aef74.png

Signed,
Still confused  😕

Well, got everything done except the pictures which I'll do tomorrow and to buy a "Black Pen" to make my signature.  Thailand - The Land Of Blue Pen Signatures, so I don't own a black pen.
USA - The Land Of Black Pen Signatures (I guess)  The instructions says, "Use black ink only" so black in it will be.  And they give you a whopping 5/16 of an inch space to write your (itsy-bitsy tiny teeny weeny) signature. 

Screenshotfrom2024-05-2822-14-25.png.dd20691ce32b034579bcabb78ef50b45.png

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, connda said:

So, why do you need to send two passport pictures if you are only sending one DS-82 Renewal application. 

In my case, I glued 1 onto the form itself at the blank space for photo. The other 1 I put in a little see-through paper envelope, with my name and old pp number in the back. It was returned untouched, still in the see through thing, included in the new pp package.

[I stand corrected at the mention of "cashier check" in my previous post. It was "bank draft" and I forgot the term for it so I said "cashier check."]

Edited by watthong

Posted (edited)

I was (last year) able to pay for my new passport using Pay.gov.

I was using a US Credit Card to make that payment.

Regarding the  Thailand Post Courier Pass Back envelope fee ฿100 THB:
What forms of payment does this application take.  I read another post where someone could not get the application to accept a payment.

This was the craziest part of the entire process:

You need to go to a Thai bank (they recommend KBank or Bangkok Bank, but any bank will do). You show them a document that the embassy provides you that explains to the bank that you need a "Bank Draft" (I cannot remember the exact name, but it is the equivalent of a "cashier's check" in the US). You must send this bank draft with your application to cover the return postage. There is no alternative for this.

You cannot send them a return envelope. That will bin it.

Edited by timendres

On 5/27/2024 at 3:24 PM, Caldera said:

Try to go without your wife. Whenever I want to get anything done in Thailand, I know that taking a Thai along will just mess things up.

You'd think they know how to get the point across efficiently in their own language, but it just never seems to happen. 

haha, couldn't agree more, every time i go to CW immigration i see foreigners with thai wives or gfs in tow. they never seem to add any benefit to the situation, indeed often the complete opposite. and more often than not the guys end up having very public petty squabbles with their other half. demeaning and embarrassing. don't do it.

• Confused 2
  • Agree 1

8 hours ago, donmuang37 said:

The process is easy. I did it online & by mail last year.  Just follow the directions EXACTLY.  No fudging = no drama! I got mine back in 5 or 6 as advertised. Worked like a charm!  Good luck!

After living in Thailand for over 17 years, and as a US citizen I've renewed my passport here twice with the embassy in Bangkok; zero drama, zero problems.  Some people are a magnet for confusion, drama & problems.

8 hours ago, timendres said:

You need to go to a Thai bank (they recommend KBank or Bangkok Bank, but any bank will do). You show them a document that the embassy provides you that explains to the bank that you need a "Bank Draft" (I cannot remember the exact name, but it is the equivalent of a "cashier's check" in the US). You must send this bank draft with your application to cover the return postage. There is no alternative for this.

Actually you don't.  You go to the Thai Post Mart and purchase the Courier Pass Back envelope for the Bangkok Embassy.  After purchasing it the Thai Post Mart sends you an email receipt with an order number.  You print this receipt out, write the order number down on your Passport Renewal checklist, and print out a copy of the receipt and include it in your renewal package.  The primary issue with this process is payment.  I could not get a debit card or Internet payment option to work.  Finally was able to get the QR Promptpay option to work with my bank's mobile app.  This is the primary way to pay for the return postage as per the instructions from the U.S. Embassy site regarding passport renewals.  So this is THE alternative and it's they way the Bangkok U.S. Embassy wants you to do it.

https://www.thailandpostmart.com/product/1013460000929

Screenshotfrom2024-05-2908-11-36.png.3171fa765ce3def7dc043a406840a8d8.png