Where do gays retire (other than Thailand)?

Message added by Juana Tenderloin,

This is the Gay forum with enhanced Forum Rules - Please observe the Code of Conduct for this forum.

On 5/28/2024 at 7:06 PM, PJ71 said:

It's very bizarre.

Where do straight people retire?

Where do straight people retire? Covered in hundreds / thousands of posts, global.

So why no 'Where do gay people retire / where do blonde haired men retire'. etc., etc.

41 minutes ago, scorecard said:

Where do straight people retire? Covered in hundreds / thousands of posts, global.

So why no 'Where do gay people retire / where do blonde haired men retire'. etc., etc.

Exactly my point, which you seem to have missed.

Nevermind...

On 5/29/2024 at 11:52 AM, oldscool said:

General topics have general interest regardless of a poster's sexuality, and that doesn't preclude discussions about sexuality or gender in the general forum.

But given the amount of homophobia on the forum it would make a lot of sense to have a closed lgbtq+ subforum. For example a poster recently started a thread about gay hookups in Pattaya, and it was immediately hit by homophobes whose comments had to be removed.

There is a closed subforum for women, quite rightly given the number of misogynistic posts on the main forum. The same is needed for lgbtq+.

It's not a question of divisiveness, It's a question of creating a forum that works for everyone. To imply, as you are doing, that straight threads are bombarded by gay trolls and bigots and therefore straights need a private subforum is obviously not true.

It's just intolerance, pure and simple. If they're living here in Thailand, they should have realised that Thai society is extremely tolerant of diversity. You don't see or hear Thais bashing gays, or katoey, nor any other minority group, verbally or physically. Why would they? So why bring a set of prejudices from an entirely different culture to one that doesn't have those prejudices? In fact, why come here at all?

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, scorecard said:

1 hour ago, PJ71 said:

Exactly my point, which you seem to have missed.

Nevermind...

With only 5-11% by population by countries where same sex isn't illegal, it would be nice to know where there are more, rather than less like minded people.

Just as being the Grand Wizard in the local chapter, I wouldn't be wearing my hood to brekkie in these towns:

image.png.6cfeb87e33576a62100e15f4559b7db2.png

If you plan on having a social life, get your freak on & enjoy the city life:

image.png.d3e6f4ecd4c0750259c70fe06a802217.png

Dallas is and isn't a surprise.  Who would have thought, first gay club I ever went to, freakin' awesome place also, would be in Texas, and in 1975 ... go figure.

Same state I got a reality check on racism is still alive, hard core racism.  Car broke down in a 1 intersection tumbleweed town, where an Eldorado w/horns on the hood drove back & forth all day.  No BS.

At cafe having brekkie, and dude giving the floor a quick mop ...

"yo what up, how ya doing ?"

looks around cautiously .... 

"Y'all ain't from around here ?"

"How you know ?"

"Y'all talking to me" 😲

Yea ... he was black ... W T F

Or chill in suburbia ... 

image.png.53eecd00999337747aadf81744025ecc.png

chart sources - wiki

5-11% per pop ... another thread on AN

Edited by KhunLA

On 5/28/2024 at 10:06 PM, stoner said:

ewww. 

people should retire where they feel happy and comfortable. 

Sure, and a lot of people feel happy and comfortable in Thailand because it allows them, and their friends, to get on with their lives without constraints. I'm all for stoners getting wrecked. Why the heck not? I haven't smoked any form of ganja for maybe 40 years, but it makes no difference. I learnt a lot from it. But smoking ganja is a choice. Being gay isn't. So there's a difference.

Anyway, this isn't really directed at you personally. But the notion you have to expect and tolerate negativity and nasty attacks every time you post?

• Confused 1

On 5/28/2024 at 7:38 AM, KhunLA said:

In the USA, (only experiences I know) ...

New Hope, PA ... not too expensive, a favorite, and visited frequently

Rehoboth Beach, DE ...  more expensive, also a favorite, and visited frequently

The Keys, FL ... very expensive, probably too touristy now

New Hope.  It's a nice drive up there .. 

• Agree 1

Posted (edited)

To each his own but I don't understand why gay people would want to move to New Hope when they could move to Pittsburgh, Philly, or one of the great smaller cities. Pennsylvania is very blue in the cities. I see tiny New Hope with a population of about 2000 people as a weekend day trip from Philly. Seen one antique store seen them all.

Edited by Jingthing
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Jingthing said:

To each his own but I don't understand why gay people would want to move to New Hope when they could move to Pittsburgh, Philly, or one of the great smaller cities. Pennsylvania is very blue in the cities. I see tiny New Hope with a population of about 2000 people as a weekend day trip from Philly. Seen one antique store seen them all.

New Hope is a great, quaint town.  Gay, bi or not.  Always had fun there.  If I could afford to buy there, along the river, I know I wouldn't have left the USA.  

1/2 from Princeton Uni.

<1 hr downtown Philly

1.5 hr NYC

1.5 hr Jersey shore, if that's your thing

1.5 hr Delaware Water Gap/Poconos

Close to world class medical facilities

Museums, culture, music & excellent food of all kinds.

Less than 2 hrs away from so many things & most Yank family & friends of mine.  I would never get bored, as I sometimes do here, obviously.

Posted (edited)
9 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

New Hope is a great, quaint town.  Gay, bi or not.  Always had fun there.  If I could afford to buy there, along the river, I know I wouldn't have left the USA.  

1/2 from Princeton Uni.

<1 hr downtown Philly

1.5 hr NYC

1.5 hr Jersey shore, if that's your thing

1.5 hr Delaware Water Gap/Poconos

Close to world class medical facilities

Museums, culture, music & excellent food of all kinds.

Less than 2 hrs away from so many things & most Yank family & friends of mine.  I would never get bored, as I sometimes do here, obviously.

Pennsylvania is getting a lot of attention in the general best more affordable places to retire media.

Yeah I recall a wealthy gay relative bought property in New Hope.

Yes I've been there but very long ago.

Personally I can't relate to picking such a low population place that's hours from this, hours from that, etc.

I want lots where I am.

I wouldn't consider a place under 30 to 50k population.

https://pennwatch.org/harrisburg-tops-2024-list-of-best-places-to-retire-in-the-u-s/

The top 10 “Best Places to Retire” for 2024 include:

#1: Harrisburg PENNSYLVANIA

#2: Reading PENNSYLVANIA

#3: Lancaster PENNSYLVANIA

#4: Scranton PENNSYLVANIA

#5: Allentown PENNSYLVANIA

#6: New York City

#7: York PENNSYLVANIA

#8: Daytona Beach, Fla.

#9: Youngstown, Ohio

#10: Pittsburgh PENNSYLVANIA

Edited by Jingthing

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Jingthing said:

Pennsylvania is getting a lot of attention in the general best more affordable places to retire media.

Yeah I recall a wealthy gay relative bought property in New Hope.

Yes I've been there but very long ago.

Personally I can't relate to picking such a low population place that's hours from this, hours from that, etc.

I want lots where I am.

I wouldn't consider a place under 30 to 50k population.

https://pennwatch.org/harrisburg-tops-2024-list-of-best-places-to-retire-in-the-u-s/

The top 10 “Best Places to Retire” for 2024 include:

#1: Harrisburg PENNSYLVANIA

#2: Reading PENNSYLVANIA

#3: Lancaster PENNSYLVANIA

#4: Scranton PENNSYLVANIA

#5: Allentown PENNSYLVANIA

#6: New York City

#7: York PENNSYLVANIA

#8: Daytona Beach, Fla.

#9: Youngstown, Ohio

#10: Pittsburgh PENNSYLVANIA

Lancaster would be a good choice for 'you' 😎

Always liked Lancaster.  Some more 'friendly' places, form link, although only Philly or Harrisburg would really interest me.  Philly, first choice.  Never been to Erie, (only one) and might be interesting, though cold, showy winters, I think.  That could be fun though with snow mobile.

image.png.ab603e1832d6b249e0e618061eb90f17.png

Found the gay cruising area at Harrisburg by accident while working (air freight truck driving) and use to park at the 'city island' for my scenic lunch break.   Wondered why I was getting eyeballed all the time by everyone.

Buddy at the depot got a kick out of that when I told him.  

Edited by KhunLA

8 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

Lancaster would be a good choice for 'you' 😎

Always liked Lancaster.  Some more 'friendly' places, form link, although only Philly or Harrisburg would really interest me.  Philly, first choice.  Never been to Erie, (only one) and might be interesting, though cold, showy winters, I think.  That could be fun though with snow mobile.

image.png.ab603e1832d6b249e0e618061eb90f17.png

Found the gay cruising area at Harrisburg by accident while working (air freight truck driving) and use to park at the 'city island' for my scenic lunch break.   Wondered why I was getting eyeballed all the time by everyone.

Buddy at the depot got a kick out of that when I told him.  

These guys are dissing Lancaster.

I think if a person is willing to take the weather in Erie that they should also consider Cleveland and Buffalo.

There are some great things about Buffalo.

Could be a good long term investment considering climate change.

But this is about retired people ha ha.

Posted (edited)

I want to address a previous comment asserting that where gays retire are places straight people don't retire.

That is mostly untrue as gay people retire to places that are generally attractive to a wide range of people but also welcoming enough or at least not hostile  to gay people.

But there are also some places that ate super gay "ghettos" that it would be true have little appeal to non gays.

Such as Wilton Manors Florida. Many more non gays retire to the Ft. Lauderdale area than gays but non gays generally wouldn't move to Wilton Manors.

A more typical generally attractive to all who can afford it retirement destination would be San Diego.

Edited by Jingthing

On 5/28/2024 at 9:20 PM, DonniePeverley said:

Silom near Patpong night market is a massive gay area here in Bangkok. Not sure they retire here though, but just pointing out the gay scene here is huge. 

Lucky you.

Posted (edited)

OK this list is old but interesting.

https://www.senioradvice.com/articles/top-20-cities-for-lgbt-retirement-2018

A little surprising to me are Providence and Baltimore.

'The growing senior population includes a demographic often difficult to calculate: seniors who identify as Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual or Transgender (LGBT). Older members of the LGBT community have to be even more selective about choosing where to retire. Not all cities in the US are welcoming to those living "non-traditional" lifestyles.

According to the national nonprofit Services and Advocacy for Gay, Lesbian, Bisexual & Transgender Elders (SAGE), today there are 3 million LGBT people age 55+ living in the United States. With that number increasing each year, the need to discover locations that are welcoming to LGBT elders also increases."

Edited by Jingthing

On 6/2/2024 at 11:08 PM, Jingthing said:

I want to address a previous comment asserting that where gays retire are places straight people don't retire.

That is mostly untrue as gay people retire to places that are generally attractive to a wide range of people but also welcoming enough or at least not hostile  to gay people.

But there are also some places that ate super gay "ghettos" that it would be true have little appeal to non gays.

Such as Wilton Manors Florida. Many more non gays retire to the Ft. Lauderdale area than gays but non gays generally wouldn't move to Wilton Manors.

A more typical generally attractive to all who can afford it retirement destination would be San Diego.

Pattaya is the gayest Thai city however most straights retire there too.

1 minute ago, susanlea said:

Pattaya is the gayest Thai city however most straights retire there too.

Many more straights than gays, yes.

Even San Francisco at.peak.gay mecca status was still 'only' about a third queer.

Another interesting list.

This time the U.S. focus is on gay friendly AND affordable.

There is a good bit of overlap to the places on another thread -- "D list" cities in the U.S. (cheaper places in general).