Thailand Visa Exemption (60 days) and Visa On Arrival (VOA) (15 days)

Gday

Just watching Thai daily expat show

explaining the new visa rules . Thus 60 days visa exemption can be extended by 30 days. Hence I can do two entries per year by existing to Cambodia 2 times in a year . Thus given I can obtain accummulated 270 days in Thailand as Tourist. Thus I'm liable to pay income tax as tourist?

Wbr

Roobaa01

//Edit by Maestro: Off topic. Should be discussed in one of the ongoing topics about income tax.

34 minutes ago, Jack1988 said:

Is there a limit of air entry with this new 60 days exemption or is unlimited like before? 

Unchanged, there's no official limit.

• Thumbs Up 1

6 hours ago, roobaa01 said:

Gday

Just watching Thai daily expat show

explaining the new visa rules . Thus 60 days visa exemption can be extended by 30 days. Hence I can do two entries per year by existing to Cambodia 2 times in a year . Thus given I can obtain accummulated 270 days in Thailand as Tourist. Thus I'm liable to pay income tax as tourist?

Wbr

Roobaa01

Off topic.

Please discuss tax matters in one of the topics about income tax.

• Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, Nick Carter icp said:

I have heard reports from the Cambodian  border that they've done away with the two land border runs limit per calendar year as well 

That's good if it turns out to be true.

Can someone explain to me why anyone residing in New Zealand would pay $300 for a 60-day tourist visa now then?

Indeed, pay any amount charged by the embassies and consulate generals of the respective countries for a 60-day tourist visa?

Would having a 60-day tourist e-visa offer anything that visa waiver doesn't offer?

4 hours ago, Kiwifarang said:

Can someone explain to me why anyone residing in New Zealand would pay $300 for a 60-day tourist visa now then?

Indeed, pay any amount charged by the embassies and consulate generals of the respective countries for a 60-day tourist visa?

Would having a 60-day tourist e-visa offer anything that visa waiver doesn't offer?

Still can't belive they haven't fixed whatever exchange rate error exists in NZ Thai embassy. $300 for a tourist visa n NZ when it's $60 in Aus or $40 in US is a sad joke.

Anyway, applying for a tourist visa no longer makes any sense as you get the same 60 days you get for free on visa exempt, with same 30 day extension available for borh once in Thailand.

The only time a tourist visa would make sense is if you have lready used your 2 land border croossings allowed for visa exempt (so get TV from neighbour country to do another land crossing)

Edited by Pattaya57

5 hours ago, Kiwifarang said:

Yes. A tourist visa is stronger than an exempt. Many times Immigration officials ask you to get a tourist visa when you have "too many" exempts. It is also a way for the IO to see that you have been vetted by a thai embassy, so they dont have to do it. Btw, 300 dollars is absolute madness. I paid 35 euro for mine.

Edited by raz0r21
missed one thing.

On 7/17/2024 at 2:41 PM, Nick Carter icp said:

I have heard reports from the Cambodian  border that they've done away with the two land border runs limit per calendar year as well 

It is an unlimited number of entries for the purpose of tourism.

There have been cases and there will probably continue to be cases of foreigners being refused visa-exempt entry when an immigration official has serious suspicions that the true purpose of the visit may not be tourism.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

12 hours ago, Nick Carter icp said:

I don't think this is a good thing. 

Without any definite rule, land entry will probably become like air entry and those with extensive history will likely have problems entering by land.

On 7/18/2024 at 10:33 PM, Phillip9 said:

I don't think this is a good thing. 

Without any definite rule, land entry will probably become like air entry and those with extensive history will likely have problems entering by land.

Not with a visa company. Most people use them for land border crossings. Its also possible to sort out visa services when entering by air.

But right now it seems Thailand is having a more relaxeded view on people staying longer as tourists / digital nomads. I think its a step in the right direction, and finally a way to convince the officials that you are not "staying too long" in Thailand. But only time will tell.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, Frank au said:

Now that it’s finally being applied ,is there an end date?

Planning my future travel plans for next year and beyond.

You're 'avin a larf, this is LOS, chap..................😂

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Frank au said:

Now that it’s finally being applied ,is there an end date?

Planning my future travel plans for next year and beyond

There hasn't been any end date stated. 

• Agree 2

I went to a well-known visa-run company in Pattaya today to inquire about a visa-run trip to Cambodia for later this week. I discovered they had increased their prices by 500 baht and their excuse was that now we can get 60 days, and she gave me the impression that all the visa-run companies had agreed to put the price up. I'm visiting another company tomorrow to compare their prices.

Also, if you're coming off a long-term Non-O visa, there's a 1500 - 2000 baht "fee" to grease the wheels.  

Has anyone else had prices quoted since the 60-day changeover? I'd appreciate any feedback from other members.

1 minute ago, JensenZ said:

I went to a well-known visa-run company in Pattaya today to inquire about a visa-run trip to Cambodia for later this week. I discovered they had increased their prices by 500 baht and their excuse was that now we can get 60 days, and she gave me the impression that all the visa-run companies had agreed to put the price up. I'm visiting another company tomorrow to compare their prices.

Also, if you're coming off a long-term Non-O visa, there's a 1500 - 2000 baht "fee" to grease the wheels.  

Has anyone else had prices quoted since the 60-day changeover? I'd appreciate any feedback from other members.

The same is the case with Bangkok-based border run services, they've also increased their prices.

I'm not sure if it's "their excuse" as you put it; I think it's more likely that immigration asks them for higher "fees" for their hassle-free turnaround service. 

• Agree 1

11 minutes ago, Caldera said:

The same is the case with Bangkok-based border run services, they've also increased their prices.

I'm not sure if it's "their excuse" as you put it; I think it's more likely that immigration asks them for higher "fees" for their hassle-free turnaround service. 

Who knows... I thought I should have worded it "their reason" after I posted.

29 minutes ago, JensenZ said:

First Class Visa still seem to be offering the same 3700 baht for their 6-seater VIP service from Pattaya

https://www.1stclassvisaruns.com/

9 minutes ago, Pattaya57 said:

First Class Visa still seem to be offering the same 3700 baht for their 6-seater VIP service from Pattaya

https://www.1stclassvisaruns.com/

That's where I went today. Up from 2700 to 3200 (Filipino - no Cambodia visa required). They haven't updated the prices on their website yet. Cambodia Inter quoted 2000 a few weeks ago - will see tomorrow what their new prices are as they were closed today.

Edited by JensenZ

I posted before that these visa run mini van fee is getting out of hand, ripping people off left and right their excuses was that we have to do this and that we negotiating with border immigration officer blabla, all you do is take people to the border, we still have to check out and check in by ourselves, our exemption or visa have nothing to do with your services, you're just a taxi and nothing more.

On 7/19/2024 at 1:03 AM, Maestro said:

It is an unlimited number of entries for the purpose of tourism.

There have been cases and there will probably continue to be cases of foreigners being refused visa-exempt entry when an immigration official has serious suspicions that the true purpose of the visit may not be tourism.

I listened to Aussie expat TNT on youtube and he says it is 2 visa exemptions per year. I hope you are right. Have used 2 x 30 days exemptions this year and am now planning to avoid trying a 3rd visit in 2024

12 minutes ago, Exroadman said:

I listened to Aussie expat TNT on youtube and he says it is 2 visa exemptions per year. I hope you are right. Have used 2 x 30 days exemptions this year and am now planning to avoid trying a 3rd visit in 2024

You could always visit others Asian countries, like me for example that I am planning to visit Vietnam in the next months and stay there for a couple of weeks and then come back to Thailand again. By the way the agency that I use to do a border run told me that now border run are unlimited, the immigration officer just want me to show an onward flight out of Thailand within 60 days but this only from the third border run. Very easy 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jack1988 said:

You could always visit others Asian countries, like me for example that I am planning to visit Vietnam in the next months and stay there for a couple of weeks and then come back to Thailand again. By the way the agency that I use to do a border run told me that now border run are unlimited, the immigration officer just want me to show an onward flight out of Thailand within 60 days but this only from the third border run. Very easy 

Yes, I will give that suggestion some thought. I've only had 2 x30 visa exempt stamps and so hopefully that is taken into account rather than number of stamps

13 minutes ago, raz0r21 said:

There is some conflicting information in this thread. I will try my best to summarize:

Bangkok
  • Some Visa Run companies are acting as glorified taxis for land border runs, and not "full service" packages. Please check what you get for the amount you pay. In Bangkok there are two big ones: Bangkok Buddy & Thai Visa Service. Afaik they are offering legit runs that basically guarantee your stamp, otherwise you will not even be let on the bus.
  • Some news outlets (Like TNT) are reporting that only two visa exempts per land are allowed still. They/He is using thai embassies as a guideline, who often have old or wrong information. The webpage of Thai Visa Service says "Unlimited" for 60 day stamps, and I trust them more than any YouTube channel.

Thank you for your reply and clarification of the situation. I will look into using  Bangkok Buddy & Thai Visa Service.

• Like 1