5 year multiple entry DTV visa (Destination Thailand) from 2024-xx-xx

This is what a Google translation of the text regarding the 500K Baht in the announcement published in the Royal Gazette says:

There must be financial evidence or evidence of financial support for the trip or a guarantor of not less than 500,000 baht as jointly determined by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs and the Immigration Bureau when submitting a request for a visa or requesting an extension of the period of permission to temporarily stay in the Kingdom.

The original Thai text of the announcement is here:

https://ratchakitcha.soc.go.th/documents/37565.pdf 

Just made a appointment at the  Savannakhet Thai embassy. In the small print they stated to put in the correct visa type or the appointment could be declined.  Most Embassies don't list the type but I found a couple  (Las Angeles and Jakarta ) that listed it as a non-immigration visa and that is the type I used for the appointment.  Would have been nice if they asked for the specific visa as they do in Vientiane.  What type of visa is the DTV?

1 hour ago, atpeace said:

Just made a appointment at the  Savannakhet Thai embassy. In the small print they stated to put in the correct visa type or the appointment could be declined.  Most Embassies don't list the type but I found a couple  (Las Angeles and Jakarta ) that listed it as a non-immigration visa and that is the type I used for the appointment.  Would have been nice if they asked for the specific visa as they do in Vientiane.  What type of visa is the DTV?

It would best be described as a special kind of tourist visa. It definitely isn't a non-immigrant visa.

• Confused 1
  • Agree 1

On 9/9/2024 at 5:01 PM, save the frogs said:

Sounds like the cooking school is being cautious about who to issue these visas to.

I'm guessing a lot of criminals are applying for these DTV cooking school visas.

If you take cooking classes, you might have some criminals sitting next to you in class. 

criminals? haha, more likely lots of people that do not do remote work looking to bag themselves a 5 year visa. i think you might be out of touch with reality a bit there.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, atpeace said:

Los Angeles certainly do not list it as a 'Non Immigrant' type visa, it's listed as a DTV.

Listed as DTV 'type' visa on Jakarta's website as well.

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, Liquorice said:

Los Angeles certainly do not list it as a 'Non Immigrant' type visa, it's listed as a DTV.

Listed as DTV 'type' visa on Jakarta's website as well.

They are and I know it is a DTV that I will be applying for next week.   The Savannaket appointment form listed Non-immigration or Tourist. No problem i went with non-immigration and it should be OK. image.png.37aee48c53921333f509cb26ae1c2169.png

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, Caldera said:

It would best be described as a special kind of tourist visa. It definitely isn't a non-immigrant visa.

Sure but a special type of tourist visa isn't an option 🙂 Seems embassies are categorizing at a non-immigration.

image.png.2329e7c925a0344da22b8e95aab1d764.png

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Tim K said:

Says

Type of Visa: DTV on my sticker
Category : DTV also
what  TR or NON-IMM are you talking about.

Yes, I know. I'm referring to the Savannakket online appointment as I stated. No option for DTV or really any other visa except tourist. They are putting the DTV in the Non-Immigration type of visa.

• Thanks 1

On 9/13/2024 at 7:10 PM, pres.yota41 said:

Hey everyone! 👋

I just wanted to take a moment to thank all the members here who contributed to this thread! Your input was incredibly helpful and guided me through the DTV-visa process. I’d like to share my experience too, I hope it might help someone else.

After reading through the thread, I decided to apply for my DTV visa in Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam because (1) the requirements were clearly outlined earlier in this thread and (2) I had heard from a few buddies of mine who successfully obtained their DTV visas there. Here’s a quick overview of my situation:

• I'm a non-EU, non-American citizen working remotely for a large western IT company.
  • Entered Thailand on a 60-day visa exemption a month ago and stayed until I traveled to Vietnam.
  • I was aiming at the 'Workcation' type of the visa.

So I booked an appointment online through the Consulate website and prepared the following documents:

1. Visa Application Form
    Special for Ho Chi Minh Thai consulate, downloadable here, with a 4x6 cm photo glued in.
  2. Certification of Work Letter
    Issued a week before the appointment date, mentioning my position, salary, and confirmation that I’m allowed to work remotely from Thailand.
  3. Contract
    Quite standard and general, outlining parties' terms with the official signature and stamp.
  4. Bank Statement
    A 6-month statement from my Wise account showing a balance over 15,500 USD, issued a week before the appointment date.
  5. Proof of Bank Account
    Standard evidence doc from Wise proving I am the owner of the account.
  6. Rental Agreement
    A 1-year lease for my house in Thailand, expiring in 10 months. I made right after I arrived to Thailand.
  7. 340 USD in Cash
    The visa application fee. I exchanged the currency at one of the Vietnamese authorized currency exchange counters (see here).

Upon arrival at the Consulate at the appointed time I showed the email on my phone confirming my appointment to the guard, who let me in. At the counter, I informed them that I wanted a DTV visa. They first asked for my passport and then the documents. Although they didn’t specify exactly which documents they needed, so I went ahead and gave them one by one as if it were up to me. The staff member carefully checked that my first name, last name, and passport number matched across all documents—that was essentially the entire verification process.

Then I handed over $340, but there was a small issue. The staff thoroughly examined the banknotes and discovered some tiny pencil marks (which I hadn’t noticed when I received them from the exchange counter). The staff member said they only accept clean banknotes and returned them to me. Concerned because I didn’t have any other USD cash, I examined the notes and found the marks. I asked if they had an eraser, and they provided one. So I erased the marks, returned the banknotes and  they accepted then. Finally, I received a receipt with a date to collect my passport (in 2 working days). The entire process took about 5 minutes. Two days later, I came back and got my passport with the visa!

current-visa-blurred.png.a7b788c2b1abc91bc24eedaa61833768.png

The strange thing though is the government sticker that was stamped right over the expiration year. I only noticed this after leaving the consulate, so it was too late to ask. I flew back to Thailand the next day and had absolutely no issues at the border. They simply asked if it was my first DTV visa (which seemed like a random question). I answered yes, and they stamped a 180-day stay permission in my passport. That was it.

This is really useful thanks. I'm living in HCMC now and going to apply for DTV. I checked on website and it said next free slot for Visa application is Jan 2026! Every other slot is booked. Surely a mistake? Any suggestions?

• Sad 1

On 9/13/2024 at 7:10 PM, pres.yota41 said:

Hey everyone! 👋

I just wanted to take a moment to thank all the members here who contributed to this thread! Your input was incredibly helpful and guided me through the DTV-visa process. I’d like to share my experience too, I hope it might help someone else.

After reading through the thread, I decided to apply for my DTV visa in Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam because (1) the requirements were clearly outlined earlier in this thread and (2) I had heard from a few buddies of mine who successfully obtained their DTV visas there. Here’s a quick overview of my situation:

• I'm a non-EU, non-American citizen working remotely for a large western IT company.
  • Entered Thailand on a 60-day visa exemption a month ago and stayed until I traveled to Vietnam.
  • I was aiming at the 'Workcation' type of the visa.

So I booked an appointment online through the Consulate website and prepared the following documents:

1. Visa Application Form
    Special for Ho Chi Minh Thai consulate, downloadable here, with a 4x6 cm photo glued in.
  2. Certification of Work Letter
    Issued a week before the appointment date, mentioning my position, salary, and confirmation that I’m allowed to work remotely from Thailand.
  3. Contract
    Quite standard and general, outlining parties' terms with the official signature and stamp.
  4. Bank Statement
    A 6-month statement from my Wise account showing a balance over 15,500 USD, issued a week before the appointment date.
  5. Proof of Bank Account
    Standard evidence doc from Wise proving I am the owner of the account.
  6. Rental Agreement
    A 1-year lease for my house in Thailand, expiring in 10 months. I made right after I arrived to Thailand.
  7. 340 USD in Cash
    The visa application fee. I exchanged the currency at one of the Vietnamese authorized currency exchange counters (see here).

Upon arrival at the Consulate at the appointed time I showed the email on my phone confirming my appointment to the guard, who let me in. At the counter, I informed them that I wanted a DTV visa. They first asked for my passport and then the documents. Although they didn’t specify exactly which documents they needed, so I went ahead and gave them one by one as if it were up to me. The staff member carefully checked that my first name, last name, and passport number matched across all documents—that was essentially the entire verification process.

Then I handed over $340, but there was a small issue. The staff thoroughly examined the banknotes and discovered some tiny pencil marks (which I hadn’t noticed when I received them from the exchange counter). The staff member said they only accept clean banknotes and returned them to me. Concerned because I didn’t have any other USD cash, I examined the notes and found the marks. I asked if they had an eraser, and they provided one. So I erased the marks, returned the banknotes and  they accepted then. Finally, I received a receipt with a date to collect my passport (in 2 working days). The entire process took about 5 minutes. Two days later, I came back and got my passport with the visa!

current-visa-blurred.png.a7b788c2b1abc91bc24eedaa61833768.png

The strange thing though is the government sticker that was stamped right over the expiration year. I only noticed this after leaving the consulate, so it was too late to ask. I flew back to Thailand the next day and had absolutely no issues at the border. They simply asked if it was my first DTV visa (which seemed like a random question). I answered yes, and they stamped a 180-day stay permission in my passport. That was it.

was that $340 above and beyond the 10,000 baht? or total?

RETIREMENT Visa Vs DTV

Has anyone on this thread or eslewhere done a comprehensive PRO's / CONS list of evaluation of which is better if you are over 50?

Top of my head it seems like DTV wins in
ease
Cost. (Like 29,000 for first time retirement, 5000 for additional bank account 3400 for multi entry pass and 12,500 per year after. (Roughly 40,000 your first Retirement visa). 
vs only  10,000 plus 1,900 each ext 

less overall requirements
WHERE your money can be banked at is better (leave money in home country bank)

and Validity length

Only thing retirement wins on is Proven Track Record that holders don't get messed with and it's been around for years?

Or am I missing anything that makes RETIREMENT a better option?

If this has been done in the 44 pages here  or somewhere else I'd appreciate the link :)

Edited by Dart12

2 hours ago, oldmanofindonesia said:

This is really useful thanks. I'm living in HCMC now and going to apply for DTV. I checked on website and it said next free slot for Visa application is Jan 2026! Every other slot is booked. Surely a mistake? Any suggestions?

I just checked too, and it goes WAY beyond that for booked.

either they aren't going to do it any more OR website has a glitch.

Vientane is open to book daily everyday.

2 hours ago, Dart12 said:

Top of my head it seems like DTV wins in
ease
Cost. (Like 29,000 for first time retirement, 5000 for additional bank account 3400 for multi entry pass and 12,500 per year after. (Roughly 40,000 your first Retirement visa). 
vs only  10,000 plus 1,900 each ext 

The only advantage I see, is freeing up your 800K.  You are comparing costs for an agent-obtained retirement visa (90-days) + extension (year) using an agent, to a DTV w/o an agent.   Also assumed, is that one needs the 3400 multiple re-entry permit.

We do not yet know the agent-fees for either border-bounces or in-country extensions with the DTV.  History indicated it is likely there will be the usual "hassle" or "agent-money" choice.  Hopefully, one could simply border-bounce at known "safe" entry points, and avoid this - but it remains to be seen.   Even then, border-runs cost money, which should be factored-in.

Keep in mind, they can always find one isolated case of a DTV holder "behaving badly," amplify the story in "the news" - and then use that for a "crackdown" to force the flow of more agent-money, as has happened in the past.  They haven't done that with retirees, because a torrent of agent-money is already flowing to them, via those.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Rob Browder said:

The only advantage I see, is freeing up your 800K.  You are comparing costs for an agent-obtained retirement visa (90-days) + extension (year) using an agent, to a DTV w/o an agent.   Also assumed, is that one needs the 3400 multiple re-entry permit.

We do not yet know the agent-fees for either border-bounces or in-country extensions with the DTV.  History indicated it is likely there will be the usual "hassle" or "agent-money" choice.  Hopefully, one could simply border-bounce at known "safe" entry points, and avoid this - but it remains to be seen.   Even then, border-runs cost money, which should be factored-in.

Keep in mind, they can always find one isolated case of a DTV holder "behaving badly," amplify the story in "the news" - and then use that for a "crackdown" to force the flow of more agent-money, as has happened in the past.  They haven't done that with retirees, because a torrent of agent-money is already flowing to them, via those.

And if you use the 65K pm Income method or are from a country where your Embassy still issues income certificates you don't even get that advantage.

One other advantage of staying on the Non-IMM O (& the reason I wouldn't consider moving to a DTV) is if/when they change the requirements (E.g. increase the amount you need to keep in the bank or have as income) you have a chance of being "Grandfathered In" whereas if you have to move to one in the future you are going to have to meet whatever the new requirements are.

As an aside, I wouldn't plan a >30 year retirement on being able to use "Agent Assisted Finances" forever, it's inevitable that they will clamp down on them at some point though again, there is a chance that if you were already on a Non-IMM O you might be able to somehow carry on doing it.

Edited by Mike Teavee
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

@oldmanofindonesia, confirm. I just checked their website, and it only offers appointments for December 2025. It looks like a bug to me because I remember that when I made my appointment in August, I could easily find a slot within the next 3 weeks. I suggest you either wait until they fix the bug (if that’s the case) or try the Thai Embassy in Hanoi, as their website offers slots in September.

I checked on website and it said next free slot for Visa application is Jan 2026! Every other slot is booked. Surely a mistake? Any suggestions?

@Dart12, $340 is the official fee for the DTV visa application at the Thai Consulate in Ho Chi Minh city. Apparently, flights, lodging, and living costs are extra.

was that $340 above and beyond the 10,000 baht? or total?

• Thumbs Up 1

5 hours ago, kekalot said:

Haven't read the whole 45 pages but did the first 3-4 and then last 5.

I have an Elite Visa from 7 years ago, it's still valid for another 13 years  (5 years a pop) but I bought it when it was 1 million baht for 20 year (the absolutely NO fluff one)

Before that, I used to be on 6 months multiple entry tourist visas which I would leave and come back last day of the six month to get an extra 2 months + 1 extension and then went home --which always cost me more thank 50k.

The METVs for me were a ±3 weeks trip back home, a 4000 baht visa application and then waiting + risking getting declined. Would last me for 9 months and rinse/repeat.

Just with applications and extensions fees they would be easily be ±13,000 THB a year including stupid trips to Myanmar border (4h drive) and 700 baht "fees"

And then add the plane trip both ways which took 3 days each and an overnight train, always about 45-50k and give or take 8k for the train (and headaches that come with both)

With Elite, I paid about 50,000 per year worth, it was worth it at the time.. not so much anymore as Elite prices have been raised quite a bit since then, it is now 5m for 20 years.. (250k a year), 2.5m for 15 years (166k a year), 1.5m for 10 years (150k a year) and 900k for 5 years (180k a year).

Note, the numbers don't make sense, why would you want 20 years for 5 millions if you can get two 10 years for 3 millions?

Obviously, paying 10k a 5 year stamp would be a better option for me (2000 baht a year) even if I did go outside say for a day every 6 months, might cost me total of 10k with some cheap trip and accommodations.

So a lot of rambling maybe, but "cheap" elite cost me

Total before, about 65k a year. lots of headache, chances to get declined at borders/visa applications.

Total now, 51,900 per year (50k visa, 1900 baht extension yearly) but no headaches, online 90 days etc.

DTV would cost me ±10k a year with two cheap flights/hotels once per 6m.

So this means this is give or take 20% of the price I paid for Elite or 6.6% of the current price for a double 10 year Elite visa. (the most cost effective one)

Easy win if you can make it work!

Enjoyed that ramble and easy to follow!  I'm going to switch from retirement to DTV because I already travel outside the country often and live 20 minutes from a border. Find out tomorrow  in Savannaket if it is as easy as it looks to get the visa.

• Thumbs Up 1

6 hours ago, Rob Browder said:

Maybe that is the case for a person living in Thailand; however, for a winter bird the DTV is a lot better than the Non-O with multiple entries I used to get. It costs less, and I do not need to leave Thailand after 90 days.

There is one uncertainty, though, the number of years you get when renewing a driving license. One member has reported he got five years, if that holds true, I see no downside of the DTV for a winter bird.

Edited by farang51

For those who have applied and had your DTV approved, did you book your flights before submitting your DTV application?

Did you also have to submit your application at least a month prior to your travel date?

I emailed the Australian Embassy (Canberra) asking this question and they said:

"You should book your flight before submit visa and please apply 1-2 months before your travel date."

Edited by bbi1

I

3 minutes ago, bbi1 said:

For those who have applied and had your DTV approved, did you book your flights before submitting your DTV application?

I did but I didn't have to as I did not upload a copy of the ticket, only gave them the flight number and a date.

4 minutes ago, bbi1 said:

Did you also have to submit your application at least a month prior to your travel date?

I did submit my application a couple of months before, but I was not told to do so. They took almost three weeks to handle the application, but I think it would have been faster if I have applied closer to my intended departure.

I applied in Denmark using the evisa webpage.

2 hours ago, farang51 said:

I

I did but I didn't have to as I did not upload a copy of the ticket, only gave them the flight number and a date.

I did submit my application a couple of months before, but I was not told to do so. They took almost three weeks to handle the application, but I think it would have been faster if I have applied closer to my intended departure.

I applied in Denmark using the evisa webpage.

That's good to know. So we are able to proceed with the online application by skipping the question about uploading a Travel Booking Confirmation which seemed to be compulsory with a red asterisks as per Page 31of: https://www.thaievisa.go.th/static/English-Manual.pdf

46 minutes ago, bbi1 said:

That's good to know. So we are able to proceed with the online application by skipping the question about uploading a Travel Booking Confirmation which seemed to be compulsory with a red asterisks as per Page 31of: https://www.thaievisa.go.th/static/English-Manual.pdf

No, you cannot skip fields with red asteriks. I am pretty sure that field is not there when you apply for the DTV.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, farang51 said:

No, you cannot skip fields with red asteriks. I am pretty sure that field is not there when you apply for the DTV.

My experience applying online via London was the same as Farang51 - you’re asked to type in flight number (mandatory) but not asked to upload a copy of flight booking.

I think I’ve seen reports of them asking for booking confirmation later via emai but they didn’t with my application. I’m guessing they’d only do this if they suspect you’re not applying from home country or maybe a case of different embassies having different rules??

7 hours ago, farang51 said:

It asks you for travel dates, port of entry, and flight number.  However, it does not ask you to upload any documentation for that like the tourist visa did (does?).

Edited by shdmn

I got my DTV eVisa within hours of submitting the application online.  This is through the same consulate (Canada) that usually took at least 10-15 days when I applied for the tourist visa.  YMMV.

I applied in the workcation category.  The document submitted was a cover letter on business letterhead stating my business name and website URL, and a list of included documents.  The included documents were my business registration, website screenshot, domain registration receipt (to prove I own the website), and a billing report showing the number of active customers by country.  Probably more than needed but I didn't want to leave anything to chance.

For the 500k baht requirement I submitted my latest monthly bank statement.  For the proof of current residence I submitted my latest power bill.

Edited by shdmn
  • Like 1