Pattaya Seeks to Transform Image, Promoting Diverse Tourism

webfact

15 minutes ago, MalcolmB said:

Best pig I ever ate in my life was in Pattaya. 
suckling pig on a spit.

i can not find it in Phuket.

maybe to many Muslims?

Lechon Baboy in the Philippines... Available everywhere. 

Succulent barbecued pork.  Best dish they have. 

3 hours ago, MalcolmB said:

Best pig I ever ate in my life was in Pattaya. 
suckling pig on a spit.

i can not find it in Phuket.

maybe to many Muslims?

There's loads of spit roasts in Pattaya. 

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, webfact said:

The private tourism sector in Pattaya convened a workshop yesterday to discuss strategies for repositioning the city as a comprehensive travel destination, aiming to shift its reputation beyond just a nightlife and entertainment hub

You mean lie?

49 minutes ago, jippytum said:

Pattaya will always be regarded as a location for sex and low quality tourists

Yes indeed, also the alcofrolic tourists and ex-pats!

• Agree 1

13 hours ago, webfact said:

Participants focused on highlighting the charms of small towns and traditional Thai life in areas such as Sri Racha, Bang Saen, and Phanat Nikhom

None of which is Pattaya. That's kind of like if Thailand was promoting charms of Malaysia or Laos...

It is Easy to hire a Slick Advertising company to put together a Promotion Video showing interests the

city wants to promote and market it to foreigners.

ALL the whining Negativity from the people on Aseannow will NOT slow tourism into Pattaya/Jomtien.

If it is Such a problem to You what happened when You went to City Hall and spoke with a City Official?

Chinese, Indians, Russia, Europeans, and others ALL visit, some buy Condos, some setup businesses in Pattaya/Jomtien.

The tourist who are coming to drink, looking for a friend for short or long time are usually visiting a certain area of Pattaya/Jomtien.

Families with kids visit another area. We all seem to coexist in Harmony.

It is up to the Tourist NOT US if, when, and where they Go and what Activities they enjoy.

• Agree 1

16 hours ago, hotchilli said:

You mean lie?

So the band is back at the start of it's playlist..... 'Play it Again Sam'.....

Let us schedule some more markets selling dodgy food and plastic tat.... we can close down Beach Rd at weekends and make some real mayhem.... all the traffic can go down Sois Diana, Honey and Buakhao.....

• Like 1

My nephew has travelled to Thailand for the first time this week.  His opinion of Pattaya is that it is a sleazy place. It has a dangerous and badly maintained infrastructure. He agrees with me that no one should take their family there until they repair the footpaths, stop vendors and motorbikes encroaching on them, have many places where pedestrians can cross the road safely and remove the stupid telegraph poles in the middle of narrow footpaths which force pedestrians to step onto the road. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

15 minutes ago, RobU said:

My nephew has travelled to Thailand for the first time this week.  His opinion of Pattaya is that it is a sleazy place. It has a dangerous and badly maintained infrastructure. He agrees with me that no one should take their family there until they repair the footpaths, stop vendors and motorbikes encroaching on them, have many places where pedestrians can cross the road safely and remove the stupid telegraph poles in the middle of narrow footpaths which force pedestrians to step onto the road. 

Very well said. And your nephews point of view would apply to most quality Western visitors. They ain't coming back. This is why the city is going after the "Stans" Central Asians who they figure might be oblivious/ put up with the infrastructure from Hell.

• Agree 1

If it wasn't wasn't for the nightlife no one would come here. The wonderful beach road walk amonst the roadworks. The congested traffic dodging the roadworks. The lack of pavements to walk on. 5 star Pattaya !

• Agree 1

34 minutes ago, morrobay said:

Very well said. And your nephews point of view would apply to most quality Western visitors. They ain't coming back. This is why the city is going after the "Stans" Central Asians who they figure might be oblivious/ put up with the infrastructure from Hell.

Pattaya is not pedestrian friendly. Tourists and their families from the west want to walk and gawk which is impossible in Pattaya because of the state of the footpaths and having to look down all the time. The city fathers don't have a clue

• Like 1

22 hours ago, morrobay said:

Rather than improve infrastructure, bring in less discerning tourists eh?

• Agree 1

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, jacko45k said:

Rather than improve infrastructure, bring in less discerning tourists eh?

And they get the less discerning tourists from the "improvements". For example this endless sh*tshow along the beach. Instead of a nice promenade that would attract quality visitors, this glorified road/"promenade" and beach side parking has driven them off and all they can get now are mostly Thais and these low class cigarette smoking foreigners. With the downhill change in foreign tourism from demographics from quality to quantity. The tourist in 2023 spends much less than the 2019 tourist.

Edited by morrobay

26 minutes ago, morrobay said:

And they get the less discerning tourists from the "improvements". For example this endless sh*tshow along the beach. Instead of a nice promenade that would attract quality visitors, this glorified road/"promenade" and beach side parking has driven them off and all they can get now are mostly Thais and these low class cigarette smoking foreigners. With the downhill change in foreign tourism from demographics from quality to quantity. The tourist in 2023 spends much less than the 2019 tourist.

Actually, if you google 'spending per tourist in Thailand' for 2019 and 2023, in 2019 it was 48,580 baht vs. 50,900 baht in 2023.  So, I think it's incorrect to say that the 2023 tourists were spending 'much less' than those of 2019.