Trump found guilty of 34 counts of falsifying business records

webfact

Just now, JonnyF said:

Grieving? 😄 For a start, I am no fan of Trump (although I prefer him to Biden) but I am less of a fan of kangaroo courts and politically motivated trials. 

Secondly, Trump has lost the battle but not the war. If this were a football game he's conceded a free kick in the opponents half in the 15th minute. Hardly worth grieving over, even for Trump fans. 

I predict he will still win in November. In fact I believe it is more likely after this debacle. 

He has far more serious charges to face, which have been continually pushed back until after the election.

It is fair to say that he needs to get elected to avoid jail.

That's a compelling reason not to quit.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

1 minute ago, JonnyF said:

Grieving? 😄 For a start, I am no fan of Trump (although I prefer him to Biden) but I am less of a fan of kangaroo courts and politically motivated trials. 

Secondly, Trump has lost the battle but not the war. If this were a football game he's conceded a free kick in the opponents half in the 15th minute. Hardly worth grieving over, even for Trump fans. 

I predict he will still win in November. In fact I believe it is more likely after this debacle. 

I must go back and check your predictions for Convicted Felon Trump being indicted, prosecuted, tried and convicted.

• Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

Posted (edited)
12 hours ago, Moncul said:

Yeah, built that wall, didn't he. Came up with the Infrastructure bill, didn't he. Produced that Health Care reform, didn't he.
Do you have any idea how ridiculous that is?
The one thing he did do is line the pockets of himself and his family. 

Man oh man - where to start...

1.   He tried - your lot stopped him.

2.  Yes.

3.  No - his wealth decreased (look it up).

Edited by stats
trolling reference removed
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Moncul said:

Yeah, built that wall, didn't he. Came up with the Infrastructure bill, didn't he. Produced that Health Care reform, didn't he.

Do you have any idea how ridiculous that is?

The one thing he did do is line the pockets of himself and his family. 

Didn't he say he'd never play golf cause he wouldn't have the time?

Posted (edited)
15 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

OK so you didn’t get the verdict you wanted.

But Jury saw the evidence, sat through the testimonies and passed their verdict.

Guilty on 34 counts is a fact.

That you play semantics with ‘accept’ does not alter that fact.

I don't know that I am challenging that he was found guilty. As I've said multiple times my concern is that Trump is not again President. And there are plenty enough legal minds that are saying the same thing. That the only reasons the statutory charges fit the crime is that Judge Merchan said that they fit the crime. 

Edited by jerrymahoney
  • Confused 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
13 hours ago, HappyExpat57 said:

Dear gawd! If he loses his appeals and wins re-election, will he run the country into the ground from a JAIL CELL?!?

Jail cell ... seriously.   For simple business ledger improprieties.   Just a big fine.

Edited by stats
trolling reference removed
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

18 minutes ago, HappyExpat57 said:

Dear gawd! If he loses his appeals and wins re-election, will he run the country into the ground from a JAIL CELL?!?

Most likely this conviction won't involve jail. They are felonies but of the lowest severity level. Punishment phase is in July.

• Sad 1

Posted (edited)
12 hours ago, Walker88 said:

He might have been acquitted, or at least won a hung jury, if he had taken an entirely different approach. He should have admitted to the tryst with Stormy, and then claimed he was worried how it would affect his 3rd wife. Yes, if even 1% of the reason was fear how it would impact voters, the jury might have been more sympathetic if he played the contrite husband, thusly ignoring the election impact.

He chose not to present that defense, and it certainly seems the jury believed everything Stormy said, despite the crime not being the affair, but the fraudulent accounting of the payoff. He lost credibility by denying something that even his 3rd wife likely believes happened.

I had thought Karen McDougal would have been an important witness, since she alleges a year long affair plus a payoff, and she has messages and phone records that corroborate her claims. The prosecution knew better, and knew they did not need McDougal. They had documents detailing the fraud, so had no need for additional sordid details. The prosecution really did not even need Michael Cohen, and defense made a huge mistake trying to pin everything on him. The documents, along with Pecker and Hope Hicks, were enough to prove the case.

I suspect defense had to go along with what the convicted felon wanted, ignoring their own better judgement regarding what would be more likely to lead to acquittal or a hung jury.

No doubt his cult will dig in their heels, but they are a minority, and even were in 2016. It's swing voters and independents who will now be faced with voting for, or voting against, a convicted felon. If the guy was smart---unlikely---he would refrain from his usual whining on social media, as that is only singing to the choir. If he could somehow grow up 75 years in a few minutes, he might not alienate the undecideds. He cannot and he will not.

Interesting to see the first (R) who sees the writing on the wall and hangs him out to dry. Those still squatting on Veepstakes Island will stay with him until he makes a choice for running/cell mate.

Too much to respond to...

BUt - WTF does a prostitute's testimoney (and the others) have to do with a charge of booking errors. 

Edited by stats
trolling comment removed
  • Confused 1
  • Agree 1

34 minutes ago, JonnyF said:

Interesting timing to reach such a conclusion.

Purely coincidental I'm sure 😃.

No just long over due,from time to time laws need to be amended.

Nobody has foreseen a thing like this would ever happen but it has to be dealt with,just to keep up with the times.

Don't you agree?

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, TroubleandGrumpy said:

Man oh man - where to start...

1.   He tried - your lot stopped him.

2.  Yes.

3.  No - his wealth decreased (look it up).

1. If I remember well, there was a kind of infrastructure bill  voted with the support of Democrats under Trump.. Republicans tended to oppose it.

3. Real estate and hotel value decreased because of Covid. What would be his wealth at today's prices?

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, HappyExpat57 said:

You're either not following or conveniently forgetting facts.

Typically, there would be no sentence. In THIS case, he greviously broke the gag order 10 times (many many more, but the 10 were overt and blatant attacks). As well, if someone under him in the criminal ladder did time for the same crime (Michael Cohen) then there is a likelihood of him having to serve time as well.

Cohen crimes were a wee bit more serious ... apples & oranges.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

2 minutes ago, impulse said:

Small correction here.  It was the judge who disallowed their testimony.  Like he should have disallowed the hooker's testimony, but didn't.

I have read a few legal opinions and they all state that there are grounds for an Appeal - including the Judge's conduct of the trial.

The Appeal will win, the Judge will be admonished, and Trump will win the election, and the Judge will then be subjected to impreachment and found guilty and dismissed/charged.  Some Dems will support it becauser there are some rational Dems and they know is was a partisan legal sham, and they dont want the GOP doing the same thing to them in the future when they have political control.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 2

13 hours ago, TroubleandGrumpy said:

But I guarantee that even when this is over-turned on Appeal, the loony lefties will be stating that Trump is a 'convicted impeached felon'.

Somewhow, they think the partisan people in their biased justice system have given them what they need - another insult against Trump.

Truly delusional - Delusional comes from a Latin word meaning "deceiving." So delusional thinking is kind of like deceiving yourself by believing outrageous things.

But of course a delusional person, will turn that back on you and say that you are the delusional one - their own cognitive bias will never allow them to think for a moment that they could be wrong.

Here is something for them to 'think' about.  Trump is an arrogant bullying person with clear personal tendancies towards narcissism.  Exactly the same as Obama and Bill Clinton - but not as good looking as either of them. But as a POTUS he did (or tried to do) what he said he was going to do - and he will do that again when he is the next POTUS. 

i love your obsession with ''lefties''. even my right wing friends (American and English) say, 'don't use the terms left wing and right wing' . it's displays a lack of imagination.

• Agree 2

Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, HappyExpat57 said:

I had to dig that up. Judge Merchan didn't disallow their testimony, he just said the witnesses had to keep to the facts of the trial. Big correction.

True.  He limited the testimony to stuff that would help the prosecution and wouldn't allow lines of questioning that would help the defense.  That being the case, the defense would have been stoopid to call them.  And they're not stoopid.

He gave both of the prostitutes wide range, that far exceeded facts pertinent to the case.

Edited by impulse
  • Like 1
  • Confused 3

Just now, paddypower said:

i love your obsession with ''lefties''. even my right wing friends (American and English) say, 'don't use the terms left wing and right wing' . it's displays a lack of imagination.

Now it is about using the 'correct words' ??  Meh.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

Just now, riclag said:

I don’t , because it was political .

That jurisdiction , Manhattan voted 95% dem in 2020  .Dershowitz said he couldn’t get a fair trial  .

I was being sarcastic. 

• Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 1