Motorbike Ban in Pattaya Underpass Sparks Heated Debate

webfact

There have been huge LED signs prohibiting motorcycles from the underpass for a long while now,

not that I agree with the prohibition  or the given safety reasons.

6 minutes ago, webfact said:

“Can’t we share the road?

Well some seem to think they own the road  and drive extremely aggressively  perhaps more attention should be paid to those  motorists and give the little guys (motorcyclists) a break.

I must admit to having seen many using it in the last several  months.... likely for convenience and lack of policing. Same with the flyover towards the motorway. I personally don't, plenty of alternatives and the heavy traffic make it more risky.

• Confused 1

4 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

I don't live in Pattaya, I live and ride motorcycle in Bangkok. And here are many under and overpasses restricted for bikes.

Why?

I understand the slow little bikes, especially some sidecar constructions should not use roads with fast traffic. But many bikes are fast enough to easily keep up with the flow. Why should they be excluded?

Obviously, there are many bad drivers and riders, and that is a problem. And the police could fine them all every day. Like fine all of they who use mobile phones while the vehicle is moving. Take away the license from drivers and riders who deliberately ignore zebra crossings. Enforce the laws.

If the police would do their job, then a lot less accidents would happen and a lot less people would die. 

It's pretty dark going through the tunnel. I switch car lights on for safety. MB's running through there with no lights on is dangerous for all concerned.

• Agree 1

27 minutes ago, EVENKEEL said:

It's pretty dark going through the tunnel. I switch car lights on for safety. MB's running through there with no lights on is dangerous for all concerned.

I think many (most, all) new bikes have the lights on all the time, or automatically switched on.

The police could enforce this - if they would want to do it.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
53 minutes ago, EVENKEEL said:

Don't most motorbikes automatically switch on lights when the ignition is turned on?

Mine does as well as all of those that I see on the roads.

The only bikes that I see with no lights are those ridden by the 'cool dudes' who remove the light bulb from the rear light.

(This is so that the police cannot see them at night when they go racing and other activities.)

Apologies to OneMoreFarang - you beat me to it.

Edited by Tropicalevo
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, OneMoreFarang said:

I think many (most, all) new bikes have the lights on all the time, or automatically switched on.

The police could enforce this - if they would want to do it.

After years of living here I shouldn't be surprised with the MBs with no lights on at night. I hear what you're saying though.

2 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

I don't live in Pattaya, I live and ride motorcycle in Bangkok. And here are many under and overpasses restricted for bikes.

Why?

I understand the slow little bikes, especially some sidecar constructions should not use roads with fast traffic. But many bikes are fast enough to easily keep up with the flow. Why should they be excluded?

Obviously, there are many bad drivers and riders, and that is a problem. And the police could fine them all every day. Like fine all of they who use mobile phones while the vehicle is moving. Take away the license from drivers and riders who deliberately ignore zebra crossings. Enforce the laws.

If the police would do their job, then a lot less accidents would happen and a lot less people would die. 

I walk for 2 hours every morning at 6 am in the Wongamat Beach area. I've never seen anybody who  obeys road signs. Namely stop signs and speed limits. There's 40 km/h limit signs every few hundred meters, many must think that's the minimum speed, Nowadays that area has been taken over by tour buses and they aren't driven any differently.

• Agree 1

14 minutes ago, Mason45 said:

I walk for 2 hours every morning at 6 am in the Wongamat Beach area. I've never seen anybody who  obeys road signs. Namely stop signs and speed limits. There's 40 km/h limit signs every few hundred meters, many must think that's the minimum speed, Nowadays that area has been taken over by tour buses and they aren't driven any differently.

And the police could make a lot of money and at the same time make the area safer for everyone... 

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

But many bikes are fast enough to easily keep up with the flow. Why should they be excluded?

I don't think it's a speed issue.

My guess is that it's to do with breakdowns. Just imagine your bike engine cutting out in the middle of one of those narrow tunnels. It's a long way to push the bike to the exit with all those cars and lorries bombing down the tunnel at full speed.

I'm not saying I agree with the restriction, I'm just trying to think of a reason why it may be in place.

• Thumbs Up 1

10 minutes ago, JayClay said:

I don't think it's a speed issue.

My guess is that it's to do with breakdowns. Just imagine your bike engine cutting out in the middle of one of those narrow tunnels. It's a long way to push the bike to the exit with all those cars and lorries bombing down the tunnel at full speed.

I'm not saying I agree with the restriction, I'm just trying to think of a reason why it may be in place.

I don't know if bikes break down more often than cars.

A car blocking the road is for sure a bigger problem than a bike.

And when a bike breaks down there will be soon after that a car behind the broken-down bike. That car will be the "buffer" to the traffic behind.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, EVENKEEL said:

I agree it used to be but found it significantly improved when they upgraded the lighting - I think last year? However I noticed the other day that some of the lights seemed to be failing.

Most countries understand that slow motorbikes should not use roads where traffic is very fast. Better to allow those with 200-250 cc engines up as they can keep up. I see policemen on the expressways in Bangkok riding their 125 cc bikes on the hard shoulder. I have ridden bikes on European motorways at 100 mph without trouble. I fear Thais are just not trained to do that at present.

Posted (edited)

May I suggest a practical, but unlikely to be implemented, solution?

Impose a realistic minimum speed limit, say 70kph, and ruthlessly enforce it! Not just here, but on all appropriate roads, or lanes etc., and with painful (to the offender) penalties such as confiscation of the vehicle, severe financial hardship, or meaningful jail time. Along with lane hogging,  failure to signal, or any other failure to observe good practice.

Edited by Grusa
Bloody useless spell checker!

10 hours ago, jacko45k said:

I must admit to having seen many using it in the last several  months.... likely for convenience and lack of policing. Same with the flyover towards the motorway. I personally don't, plenty of alternatives and the heavy traffic make it more risky.

Err, what alternatives? Straight on and wait at the lights? I don't have a problem with that, but that's the only alternative that I can see.

19 hours ago, Tropicalevo said:

Don't most motorbikes automatically switch on lights when the ignition is turned on?

Mine does as well as all of those that I see on the roads.

The only bikes that I see with no lights are those ridden by the 'cool dudes' who remove the light bulb from the rear light.

(This is so that the police cannot see them at night when they go racing and other activities.)

Apologies to OneMoreFarang - you beat me to it.

bet if you stood on the side of the road and took count..   there are more scooter riders with no helmets,no mirrors,no running lights,overloaded with either 3-4-5 passengers  while smoking and fiddling with a cell phone, and or mass quantities of product between their legs,,    lets not forget the ones that drive going the wrong direction or on the sidewalk     Imagine these characters navigating thru a 2 lane tunnel with Somchai Andretti with his prestigious red plate BMW zipping and weaving thru @ 110km what could possibly go wrong..?

I'm a life time H.O.G. member  ..  I hate restrictions..   but at some point .   you have to decide   fair game for all or let Darwin claim the next victim

When I go for my daily walk an MC goes past at 6.30 am every morning with 4 on the bike and a baby in the front basket. Even though there's a stop sign there, I've never noticed them reduce speed let alone stop. I agree confiscate the bikes as even a license suspension is no deterrent.

20 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

fine all of they who use mobile phones while the vehicle is moving

Wouldn't it be better to cinfiscate their phones for a week or two?

When first built the tunnel had no motorbike signage, the signage was removed about 6 months later.

There also used to be no motorbike signage leading on the 7 motorway here... that too got removed.

image.png.cea40cceac4825e48d4ffe69c15dfa01.png

• Thumbs Up 1

18 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

I don't know if bikes break down more often than cars.

A car blocking the road is for sure a bigger problem than a bike.

And when a bike breaks down there will be soon after that a car behind the broken-down bike. That car will be the "buffer" to the traffic behind.

If you break down in a car you have a great big box around you to protect you from any impacts.

You seem certain that there will be another car "behind" you soon. I'd suggest there's a significant chance that the other car would be on top of the broken down bike, rather than behind it.

10 hours ago, bradiston said:

Err, what alternatives? Straight on and wait at the lights? I don't have a problem with that, but that's the only alternative that I can see.

For the bike,( and often in the truck), I am usually on The Railway Line Bypass Rd and will use Soi SIam CC. and cut through near Numchai/ Bangkok Bank. 

11 hours ago, bradiston said:

Same route that used before the tunnel perhaps !

• Like 1

1 hour ago, watchcat said:

Wouldn't it be better to cinfiscate their phones for a week or two?

Great idea. But that sounds like mission impossible to me. I guess with many of them the police would have to shoot them before they give up their digital life.