Thinking about becoming a Thai citizen.

If you qualify for it, go ahead, but may need to give up UK passport eventually, if that ever gets enforced.

But did you check the requirements to apply? As @BritManToo says, you would need to be in certain age group, have high education, have a high paying salary from same company for 2-3 years paying taxes to prove it, have a decent level of Thai communication skills and history/cultural knowledge. They would also judge your contribution to Thai society and your appearance (I don't mean how you look but how "Thai-like" you behave).

There are many threads on it. Check them through and see if you're confident you can pass. If yes, go ahead. Ir should make your life a lot easier than being on temporary extensions.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

2 minutes ago, MalcolmB said:

Sounds difficult but not impossible.

Could take a while. I really wanted to do it before buying the villas.

Maybe I will use the thai company way and transfer them over to my own name from the company when I get my citizenship.

if anyway knows of an agent who can do it I would appreciate the contact.

Maybe they could speed the process up a bit. I don’t mind paying a bit extra to the right people.

Usually it's just that - difficult but not impossible. As long as you're willing to commit time into it and doing it the right way for the right reasons.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, tomazbodner said:

Usually it's just that - difficult but not impossible. As long as you're willing to commit time into it and doing it the right way for the right reasons.

And the time to fulfill the requirements to hold continuous work permits for about three to  five years and prove that you have submitted, and paid, your Thai personal taxes for the same time period. 

• Agree 2

39 minutes ago, roo860 said:

There's a guy in Pattaya, he's a 'lifestyle guru', he's on YouTube, Dan About Thailand, but I'm sure you knew already that, 😉😉.

He'll put you on the straight and narrow.😊😊

Ok, I will check him out. 
Thank you.

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, MalcolmB said:

Thinking last night about getting a Thai citizenship.

Benefits would be I could buy investment properties in my own name and would not need to deal with immigration which seems a bit of a hassle here to be honest. eg I needed to pay an agent to open a bank account last week and it took a lot of time. All that wouldn’t be necessary if I was a citizen.

i would buy pool villas to rent to tourists Airbnb because the returns are higher and get a maid to clean them which will be cheap in Thailand. Long term rentals don’t appeal, returns seem low.

I assume this would disqualify me getting free healthcare in the UK? but I am about to get some health insurance in Thailand anyway so will not need it. I have heard the hospitals here are much better here, more like a five star hotel with no waiting times?

How about my pension? Will I still get it? Won’t need it if I have investment properties but it would still be handy.
what other advantages and disadvantages are there?

I am learning Thai language and will marry a Thai lady within the next year and move upcountry.

I can’t see myself ever leaving Thailand to live anywhere else.

Any thoughts appreciated.

If you are in your thirties of forties it maybe worth it. At 65 five with 10 to 15 years of life expectancy dealing with immigration will cost you less time and effort. Then LTR came ..

• Agree 2

5 hours ago, MalcolmB said:

Thinking last night about getting a Thai citizenship.

Benefits would be I could buy investment properties in my own name and would not need to deal with immigration which seems a bit of a hassle here to be honest. eg I needed to pay an agent to open a bank account last week and it took a lot of time. All that wouldn’t be necessary if I was a citizen.

i would buy pool villas to rent to tourists Airbnb because the returns are higher and get a maid to clean them which will be cheap in Thailand. Long term rentals don’t appeal, returns seem low.

I assume this would disqualify me getting free healthcare in the UK? but I am about to get some health insurance in Thailand anyway so will not need it. I have heard the hospitals here are much better here, more like a five star hotel with no waiting times?

How about my pension? Will I still get it? Won’t need it if I have investment properties but it would still be handy.
what other advantages and disadvantages are there?

I am learning Thai language and will marry a Thai lady within the next year and move upcountry.

I can’t see myself ever leaving Thailand to live anywhere else.

Any thoughts appreciated.

It might not be that easy to apply for Thai citizenship; a Permanent Residence might help, but to my knowledge you need to have been working for some year and paid income tax. There are some excellent threads with advice in the forum.

Opening bank account is not a problem, if you have a long-stay visa, which you easily can obtain from your home country or a visa run to a nearby country, and an address i Thailand.

You can invest in property without being citizen, if you open a Thai company limited, for example together with your future wife, as you can only hold 49 percent shares of the registered capital. With the right set-up – which an experienced business lawyer can do for you – you can secure your ownership pretty well.

Investing in luxury end pool villas can be good business, especially if you use an agent to take care of rentals and service. If you do it yourself, it will require a lot of work, which you to my knowledge cannot do yourself without a proper work permit; i.e. you might need to employ or pay someone to do it for you. Airbnb rent needs to be for a month or longer, and when changing renter the villa(s) need to cleaned and serviced.

If becoming a Thai citizen you will be eligible for government health care, but you might still prefer a private hospital, so either a health-insurance or enough funds for self insurance is needed in both cases.

Having a non-immigrant visa you can stay with annual extensions based on either marriage to a Thai – which makes you eligible for a work permit – or as retiree, where work will not be allowed, but you can still own shares and be CEO on board member level in a company limited. If you wish to invest seriously in Thailand, there are other visas available, one of them also makes you eligible to own 1 rai of land.

I'm not British, so I don't know about UK health care, but fin my European home country we loose our health care when settling abroad. We can keep dual nationality and keep both government and private retirement pensions. Brits' government pension will however be frozen at the level upon when settling abroad.

As it seems like you have enough fund for investments – attractive pool villas in tourists areas are not cheap – then in my view and experience, it's important to consider if investment inside Thailand is better than offshore investments.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

Posted (edited)

I wish you a good start in your new life as a Thai citizen but make sure to clarify your feelings because Thai women have no morals when it comes to marriage............

Taking Thai citizenship its not so hard but its not so easy because in both cases interviewers in order to examine your Thai language skills are asking you "easy questions" as well as making humor in order you will be comfortable and proud of your personal choice. You are well come to live with us is the motto for those legals foreign citizens who want to obtain Thai citizenship.

Close your eyes and ears for disappointed commets from....."locals" and sit down to read and speak Thai language because in Greece there are many Greeks who learn to speak basic ......Chinese in one year but the main problem for them is to......write Chineses.......it needs up to three years of study because its not in latin alphabet.

Ιf you are mute or deaf I suppose it will be easier to obtain any.....citizenship .......

How to apply for Thai Citizenship | Siam Legal

Edited by Paris333
  • Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, khunPer said:

It might not be that easy to apply for Thai citizenship; a Permanent Residence might help, but to my knowledge you need to have been working for some year and paid income tax. There are some excellent threads with advice in the forum.

Opening bank account is not a problem, if you have a long-stay visa, which you easily can obtain from your home country or a visa run to a nearby country, and an address i Thailand.

You can invest in property without being citizen, if you open a Thai company limited, for example together with your future wife, as you can only hold 49 percent shares of the registered capital. With the right set-up – which an experienced business lawyer can do for you – you can secure your ownership pretty well.

Investing in luxury end pool villas can be good business, especially if you use an agent to take care of rentals and service. If you do it yourself, it will require a lot of work, which you to my knowledge cannot do yourself without a proper work permit; i.e. you might need to employ or pay someone to do it for you. Airbnb rent needs to be for a month or longer, and when changing renter the villa(s) need to cleaned and serviced.

If becoming a Thai citizen you will be eligible for government health care, but you might still prefer a private hospital, so either a health-insurance or enough funds for self insurance is needed in both cases.

Having a non-immigrant visa you can stay with annual extensions based on either marriage to a Thai – which makes you eligible for a work permit – or as retiree, where work will not be allowed, but you can still own shares and be CEO on board member level in a company limited. If you wish to invest seriously in Thailand, there are other visas available, one of them also makes you eligible to own 1 rai of land.

I'm not British, so I don't know about UK health care, but fin my European home country we loose our health care when settling abroad. We can keep dual nationality and keep both government and private retirement pensions. Brits' government pension will however be frozen at the level upon when settling abroad.

As it seems like you have enough fund for investments – attractive pool villas in tourists areas are not cheap – then in my view and experience, it's important to consider if investment inside Thailand is better than offshore investments.

Thanks for your time writing that.

• Thanks 1

I've known two guys who naturalized to Thai citizenship. Both had started companies that employed Thais and made a fair amount of money. This was some years ago, so things may have changed.

• Confused 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Jimjim1 said:

The Thai Company way is by and large totally illegal

That is interesting.

i have met quite a few people over the past two weeks who are doing it, some of who have been doing it for 20+ years without a problem.

i fully intend to set it up legally through lawyers. Some people tell me I need four thai shareholders, some tell me only two, and some say only one.

I have Thais who I can use, my girlfriend and her family members.

The lawyers set it up in a way that I still control it everything. Thousands of people do it every year.

it seems a lot of people living here long term are very successful and others are scared to do anything.

i am still relatively young, have money to invest and I am not going to put in a bank getting low interest. 

https://www.siam-legal.com/Business-in-Thailand/thailand-limited-company.php

• Haha 2