British mum’s dengue fever warning after son’s Thai holiday tragedy

35 minutes ago, dinsdale said:

These lotus tubs usually have fish in them that eat the larvae.

This is your typical mozzie breeding ground in Thailand.....

420+ Mosquito Breeding Stock Photos, Pictures & Royalty-Free ...

Aedes aegypti mosquito. 

image.webp.8d64a8e0623a86831ac7cb914d1525d7.webp

I get your point - but some, not all of them have fish...    they're a breeding ground.

In Thailand there is a lot of 'standing water' which forms a breeding ground, especially in the wet seasons - much more could be done on a national and community level to protect everyone... 

24 minutes ago, KannikaP said:

Why has Mum not been warning for the past 8 years since the sad demise of her son?

Really.  What are you going to "warn" against.  It's a mosquito bite.  Try not getting bit by a mosquito in Thailand.  Impossible.  If you live here, you attempt to keep tabs on anyone who has a family member with Dengue and then gauge how close you live to the infected person.  But if you're gonna get it - you're gonna get it.  Usually the first round of Dengue is generally survivable.  Second round?  Bigger problem.  Tragic to lose a child in their prime.

• Thumbs Up 1

BNH Hospital messaged me on Line reminding folks that Dengue Vaccine is available there, but only for those under 65. I lose.

I use Lemongrass spray and generally wear long pants, socks and long sleeved shirts.

• Thumbs Up 2

14 minutes ago, Yagoda said:

BNH Hospital messaged me on Line reminding folks that Dengue Vaccine is available there, but only for those under 65. I lose.

I use Lemongrass spray and generally wear long pants, socks and long sleeved shirts.

My wife had Dengue a few years ago, so she had the vaccine (three injections and quite expensive) .... I've not had Dengue so was told I could not be vaccinated.

• Confused 1
  • Agree 1

7 minutes ago, Kinnock said:

My wife had Dengue a few years ago, so she had the vaccine (three injections and quite expensive) .... I've not had Dengue so was told I could not be vaccinated.

I think that vaccine is a bit dangerous for side effects, was she OK after it ?

1 hour ago, freedomnow said:

I think that vaccine is a bit dangerous for side effects, was she OK after it ?

Slight fever after first injection, no side effects at all for the next two injections.

• Thanks 1

that is where the mother is wrong, from my experience parents have little knowledge what their kids are like when away. 

however what has heights got to do with it? or did i misread something?

Screenshot 2024-06-04 at 22.58.06.png

• Confused 1

5 hours ago, connda said:

Lost my daughter 27 years ago.  The guy who killed her is completely unrepentant.

This is the first year where I "missed" the day she died.  That is progress in the grieving process.  Nope.  You don't get over it.  But you find ways to live with it. I wouldn't wish losing an only child on my worst enemy. 

Tough one... I'm truly sorry to learn of this. No one deserves such an evil twist of fate.

There is no emoji to suitably fit a response, so a left the 'heart' as the sad emoji is so often misused on this forum.

It is threads such as this which remind me to make the most of my family, to continue doing my best and make more time matter more. Every second really does count, your story is a heartbreaking and cutting reminder of this. 

Thank you for sharing. 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, connda said:

Really.  What are you going to "warn" against.  It's a mosquito bite.  Try not getting bit by a mosquito in Thailand.  Impossible.  If you live here, you attempt to keep tabs on anyone who has a family member with Dengue and then gauge how close you live to the infected person.  But if you're gonna get it - you're gonna get it.  Usually the first round of Dengue is generally survivable.  Second round?  Bigger problem.  Tragic to lose a child in their prime.

The best warnings I have been given which saved me on the first occasion was to rush to the hospital if you begin to vomit, before dehydration or fluid build up killz you. I've fought it before on my own a couple times in guesthouse but now I won't risk it, they say it gets deadlier as you age due to immune response and different strains it takes on due to prior immunity or something 

I always get it in the islands, Koh samet Koh chang lot of standing water inland those black an white ones love that <deleted> 

• Agree 1

7 hours ago, frank83628 said:

that is where the mother is wrong, from my experience parents have little knowledge what their kids are like when away. 

however what has heights got to do with it? or did i misread something?

Screenshot 2024-06-04 at 22.58.06.png

He sounds pretty damn boring to me, I'm sure he was the type that would retire in this paradise and never leave his condo for the outdoors he was so safe. 

However to his credit they didn't know what they do now back then even so the hospital missed the red rash spots and misdiagnosed him and likely only transferred after he went into a coma 

So unlikely to happen these days in Thailand with the English dengue campaigns that recommend going to hospital upon funding rash and such 

• Confused 1
  • Agree 1

Just now, RonJr said:

He sounds pretty damn boring to me, I'm sure he was the type that would retire in this paradise and never leave his condo for the outdoors he was so safe. 

However to his credit they didn't know what they do now back then even so the hospital missed the red rash spots and misdiagnosed him and likely only transferred after he went into a coma 

So unlikely to happen these days in Thailand with the English dengue campaigns that recommend going to hospital upon funding rash and such 

I do have a few Thai friends that lost young daughters to it. Again lack of education or understanding what they do now days 

2 minutes ago, Freddy42OZ said:

Or during the day seeing as the dengue mozzies are primarily active during daylight hours

yes,   I've been stung here several times ... but not by mozzies

• Love It 1

6 minutes ago, Peterphuket said:

Anywhere there is standing water, such as ponds and the like, are breeding grounds for these pests.

there are some places like that near my soi ....   should I be concerned 

• Thumbs Up 1

Posted (edited)

Screenshot 2024-06-04 at 18.10.45.png

This picture is scaremongering. These pots contain fish and do not just contain lilies. I know of no one who has these pots that do not have fish in them. Fish eat mosquito larvae. Hence why see these pots outside many Thai houses.

Fish are one of the most important mosquito predators. There are many different species of fish that eat mosquito larvae, especially during their juvenile growth periods. The smaller fish will continually graze on mosquito larvae populations and disrupt their lifecycle by preventing them from becoming adults.

Edited by IvorBiggun2
  • Agree 2

I have had the local Council come and smoke the whole road, and inside the land, The whole house was covered in the smoke, and we had/told to go away until it subsided. All free of charge. :thumbsup: 

• Thumbs Up 1