Do we actually need to Retire?

Posted (edited)

I actually met a guy in Pattaya who told me he retired from the UK civil service at 55 and regretted it ,said he wished he had gone to 65

All this media hype about retiring ,like we should !

Did you regret retiring?

Is there anything wrong with someone who doesn't retire say at 60 or even 65?

I'm thinking of just working and taking 2 X  trips a year to Asia instead of retiring 

Many countries have now no set retirement age 

Do any of you still WORK past 60?

Are you happy to WORK?

Edited by georgegeorgia
  • Haha 2

5 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

Retirement is a relatively modern concept.

That sentence made me laugh. It's the polite way of saying "get the fulk out of your job if you can". 👍🏼

• Confused 1

9 minutes ago, gargamon said:

Huh? What?

I guessed that being around 1500 women  ( you didn't specified what type of women)

actually meant being with them for some period of time unless your version of 'being around'

means something else completely...

• Agree 2

2 minutes ago, ezzra said:

I guessed that being around 1500 women  ( you didn't specified what type of women)

actually meant being with them for some period of time unless your version of 'being around'

Being with around ... Is not the same as being around ... Is English not your first language?

• Confused 1
  • Sad 4

31 minutes ago, ezzra said:
40 minutes ago, gargamon said:

Being with around ... Is not the same as being around ... Is English not your first language?

No, English in not my first language but i do speak 4 other languages, Ok, so do us all a favor and be more

succinct as to what 'being around 1500 women' means...

• Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, georgegeorgia said:

Did you regret retiring?

No, but I always have the option to get back in the game.

3 hours ago, georgegeorgia said:

Is there anything wrong with someone who doesn't retire say at 60 or even 65?

Not at all, I have colleagues who are still working in their early to late 70’s, not because they have to work, they work because it’s a lifestyle, hobby. I still do research without pay because I enjoy it.

Do as you wish, let time be the decider of regret.

• Thumbs Up 2

3 hours ago, save the frogs said:

If you keep working long hours into your 60s, there's a chance your health will degrade. 

Sure! As a general age of retirement in most European countries it is around 65. Are you saying that will deteriorate peoples health?

• Confused 1

Posted (edited)

I'm 71, retired at 40. A fair few people have been happy to fill the desk I left.

And I was happy to leave it.

I don't think I've heard anyone complain about "media hype" since I worked at that desk.

Edited by Prubangboy
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, Gottfrid said:

Sure! As a general age of retirement in most European countries it is around 65. Are you saying that will deteriorate peoples health?

yeah, some people get cancer soon after they retire at 65. but then again, maybe they smoked all their lives ..

but some jobs are stressful and/or hard on the body .. depends 

there's no cookie cutter answer for everyone. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Gottfrid said:

I'm sure it's just a coincidence ... :coffee1:

USA ... Born 1954 (me), male life expectancy is 66.7 yrs.   USA Soc Sec age of full retirement benefits is 66, born 1960, now 67.  

USA ... Male life expectancy if born 1960 ... 66.7 yrs :cheesy:

Why pension funds are not fully vested, as they know, they'll never need to pay out that much.

IAM union average monthly pay outs for our local union was 18 months.  For my job classification, only 11 months.

Edited by KhunLA

4 hours ago, ezzra said:

Perhaps he has a lot of money to pay pros.

I worked with at least 1500 women in my decades of nursing, so I might claim to have "been with" 1500 women, though I didn't actually become friends with more than a few.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Prubangboy said:

'm 71, retired at 40. A fair few people have been happy to fill the desk I left.

Kudos to you for making space for the younger generation instead of egoistically occupying a seat that you don't need.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
11 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Perhaps he has a lot of money to pay pros.

I worked with at least 1500 women in my decades of nursing, so I might claim to have "been with" 1500 women, though I didn't actually become friends with more than a few.

Myself, been around/with 10s of 1000s as I use to attend a lot of concerts.

Edited by KhunLA
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1