3,900 Thai community radio stations to cease under new digital scheme

webfact

image.jpeg

Approximately 3,900 community radio stations will be forced to cease broadcasting after this year due to the transition from analogue to a licensing regime and a digital audio broadcasting (DAB) scheme.

The National Broadcasting and Telecommunications Commission (NBTC) has been working on the digital radio regulatory framework, aiming to implement it by September.

This significant change is set to happen due to the nation’s shift from an analogue system to a licensing regime operating under a Digital Audio Broadcasting (DAB) scheme.

The orchestrator of this transition, The National Broadcasting and Telecommunications Commission (NBTC), has set ambitious plans to bring this digital radio regulatory framework in full effect by September.

NBTC Commissioner, AM Thanapant Raicharoen, highlights that the DAB system’s evolution is meant to coincide with the seismic transition of community radio systems into the NBTC’s stringent licensing regime.

“The intention is to escalate the quality of our service standards while simultaneously enabling involved parties to remain abreast of the digital disruption wave,” he stated. This overhaul is a crucial aspect of the NBTC’s third master plan for broadcast and television businesses which is set to run from 2025 to 2030.

The expiration of radio stations’ trial permits marks the end of an era for community radios operating under NBTC permissions.

These permissions, originally formulated to span half a decade by the National Council for Peace and Order until April 2022 and eventually extended by the previous administration, will reach their expiry date at 2024-end. Administrative punishments await stations that fail to assimilate to the new system, with the harsh penalty of closure looming large.

Bringing more clarity to the situation, AM Thanapant stated that community radios are essentially faced with two paths, one being the adoption of NBTC radio licensing regime for FM analogue systems and the other being a shift to the DAB system.

At present tally, 313 FM radio stations can proudly tout licenses authorized by the NBTC. The stations which are granted permission as well as those under license operate in the 87-108 megahertz frequency spectrum.

The FM analogue radio system has the capacity to comfortably support around 3,000 stations within its existing spectrum provisions. However, these frequencies must be carefully managed to prevent signal interference, and stations that fail to choose a path by year-end will be terminated.

At a public hearing for the digital radio regulatory framework, AM Thanapant underscored the vital regulatory strategy aimed at optimal frequency utilization for digital audio broadcasting. He elaborated transmitter and receiver requirements and elaborated on the gradual conversion of licenses for DAB services and networks.

In the MUX broadcast realm, license stipulations are projected to be enforced by August 2023, and DAB operators should ideally have licencing permissions by the third quarter of 2025.

Three possible licensing schemes await MUX broadcasters. The first being the NBTC fund-backed installation of a MUX system, claimed to cost 1 billion baht for a three-year operation cycle, covering sixty percent of Thailand’s population.

Alternatively, depending on public demand, NBTC could hold a licensing auction for nationwide MUX providers. Lastly, joint network development could be envisaged with community radio stations collaborating to rent a MUX system, heralding a new age in digital radio services.

In conclusion, AM Thanapant emphasized, “One MUX system has the capacity to accommodate at least 16-18 digital radio station operations.” This transition aims to streamline and modernize the broadcasting sphere, preparing all stakeholders for the digital future.

by George Anderssen 
Top picture: The end of broadcasts from nearly 3,900 community radio stations in Thailand

Source: The Thaiger 2024-06-08

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

• Like 1
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 4

3 hours ago, webfact said:

The National Broadcasting and Telecommunications Commission (NBTC) has been working on the digital radio regulatory framework, aiming to implement it by September.

More censorship.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

I recall reading in an article last year that not a single independent radio company had applied as the prices were so high. Unless things have changed since then, as in the price being asked has come down significantly, it just means that we'll only have the output of the national broadcaster to listen to, no contrarian views will be available. I guess we can always access our home country stations via the internet on our phones and cast them to the car's infotainment system, until this fascist government decides to block them, of course.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

9 minutes ago, george said:

Sadly there is rarely any DAB receivers to buy in Thailand.

Some EV's has them built in though.

I brought one with me a few years ago, fortunately it is also FM/AM capable so wasn't completely redundant, I'm looking forward to being able to listen to digital broadcasts.

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

3 hours ago, webfact said:

the nation’s shift from an analogue system to a licensing regime

I presume this will mean a fee?  Money grabbing Thailand yet again and its obsession with money, money, money!!

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, hotchilli said:

More censorship.

After the last coup  they shutdown all the radio stations and made them get new licences.

Tommy Dee might shed more light on that.

53 minutes ago, VBF said:

As an aside, in UK I hardly ever use my FM tuner anymore, everything I want to listen to is online

Yes there are many online radio stations   one great site with loads of stations is  radio.garden

I listen to Clive Bull "Through the Night" on LBC  just like the good ole  1990s  🤪

1 hour ago, george said:

Sadly there is rarely any DAB receivers to buy in Thailand.

You can try a "software defined radio"   RTLSDR  Digital TV receiver

https://www.lazada.co.th/tag/rtl-sdr/

With the right software it can do DAB and a lot more too

just make sure it ships from within Thailand or it may be withheld at customs due to licencing.

I tried receiving DAB audio broadcast from the Bangkok trials a few years ago without success.

mind you I'm 160 km form Bangkok.

National-Table-of-Frequency-Allocations-B-E-2555.pdf

Posted (edited)
15 minutes ago, johng said:

<snip>

Yes there are many online radio stations   one great site with loads of stations is  radio.garden

I listen to Clive Bull "Through the Night" on LBC  just like the good ole  1990s  🤪

https://tunein.com/ also worthwhile checking out

Some years ago, I was with a Thai lady in the apartment in Pattaya and had my laptop out with Tune In running.

She was quite delighted when I found her home, Chaiaphum station.

Of course, if the FM channel goes, there won't be enough adverting revenue and the whole station will probably close down. 

I used to broadcast on an Internet-only station in UK and the listening figures really weren't sufficient.

Edited by VBF
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Golden Triangle said:

I'm looking forward to being able to listen to digital broadcasts.

If you are looking forward to better quality audio  you may be disappointed...the cost factor means they will try to squeeze as many channels into one MUX as possible..  yes it will be hiss, wow and flutter free but @32–64 kbps not so hi=fidelity.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Nickcage49 said:

Are you telling me in the year 2024 that most Thai radio stations aren't digital? Amazing. This really is the 3rd world.

Most phones can have an FM Tuner, or a digital radio app. You show me a Thai who does not have a phone on their body 24/7.

• Haha 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, spidermike007 said:

NBTC Commissioner, AM Thanapant Raicharoen, highlights that the DAB system’s evolution is meant to coincide with the seismic transition of community radio systems into the NBTC’s stringent licensing regime, and the highly obedient PM's wishes to follow the dictates of the army, and render freedom of expression moot. 

It sure feels like repression and a further erosion of the "freedom of the press". 

Srettha and the army. Moving the nation backwards. 

I read it as more of a threat!

1 minute ago, KannikaP said:

Most phones can have an FM Tuner, or a digital radio app. You show me a Thai who does not have a phone on their body 24/7.

Agreed but my experience of the FM tuner in a phone is a bit hit and miss. The antenna is provided by the headphone cable, so if you're using Bluetooth headphones, it doesn't work.

Digital apps, or even a a plain old browser  will work just fine of course.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JimHuaHin said:

So, 3,900 Thai community radio stations which serve the interests of Thai local communities will be closed - is it because they reflect the views of the Thai communities they serve, which may not align with the views and ideologies of the conservative Bangkok establishment?  So unless one lives in a large city, with multiple radio stations, the Thai people will only have radio access to one of the 537 radio (or TV) stations owned (according to Wikipedia), run and controlled by the Thai military.

No,not really.

We will still have the village head over the speakers before 6 am.

Telling whatever he thinks the uneducated masses need to hear!

A few of the speakers where i live only work a few times after they get fixed,again.

I guess you can blame the monkeys for that!!!!

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Burma Bill said:

I presume this will mean a fee?  Money grabbing Thailand yet again and its obsession with money, money, money!!

I think they always had to pay a fee  but now will have to get new equipment too ?  it seems a bit vague  maybe the analogue licences will continue  but  with a push towards DAB over AM and FM

• Thanks 1