American Man Swept Into The Sea, Wife And Child Rescued In Phuket

webfact

7 minutes ago, thailandsgreat said:

Then the flags are useless. If there are red flags all the time, then the beach should be closed

Agree but closed for swimming, On Koh Chang red flags go up when it is dangerous, It is the resorts 'life guards' that do it, TTBOMK there are no government life guards, only rescue ski jets, that are the only ski jets allowed here, a beach restaurant used to put a sign up saying how many drowned last year it was around 20 at that time ( I think before we had red flags), the red flags are not up all the time.  

American reported missing found dead at Phuket beach

34eb2209-f7bc-4f0c-ad59-213c0a7b96ce.jpg

A tragic incident occurred at Nai Harn Beach in Phuket, Thailand when an American man was swept away by a large wave while his three-year-old son and Thai wife watched helplessly. The man has been found dead. The victim, 49-year-old James Everett Du Bois, his wife Siriamorn, and their child were enjoying their time at the beach on June 9 when they were dragged into the ocean by a strong current. Siriamorn was able to fight her way back to shore and lifeguards managed to save their son, but Du Bois was swept away.

A team of divers from the Kusoldharm Foundation in Phuket tried to locate him but were unsuccessful. His body was later found washed up on Nai Harn Beach, a report confirmed by local reporters around 11.43pm yesterday. This was a joint effort involving the Rawai Subdistrict Disaster Prevention and Mitigation Office, Rawai Subdistrict Municipality's rescue team, and officials including Deputy Mayor of Rawai Municipality Nigorn Paphakityosapattana and Rawai Subdistrict Municipality Secretary Preecha Jannarong.

They coordinated with the Chalong Police and forensic doctors from Vachira Phuket Hospital, along with Siriamorn, to confirm the identity of the deceased. Following the confirmation, Du Bois's body was transferred to Vachira Phuket Hospital for a thorough autopsy to ascertain the exact cause of his death.

File photo for reference only

news-logo-btm.jpg

-- 2024-06-11

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

• Sad 7

poor guy .....   sorry to hear he's missing,  I hope he turns up in some bar having a cold beer. edit '    ( they found his body on the beach ) 

PS.    very sorry, I just read the last report ...  they located him at 11.43pm...   very sad indeed.

RIP 

Du Bois.

Edited by steven100
  • Like 1

19 hours ago, ChipButty said:

Stop being a KH the lifeguard got the kid out and went back to find the guy risking his own life, 

The American was at fault here not the lifeguard, I was down at that beach this morning and it's wild, 

You missed the point.... The article said the woman saw the lifeguards putting out the flags. Why they were not getting the tourists out of the water at the same time. It is their job to do this before any danger to safety has arrived. Surely they knew and saw the seas getting too rough. If I am at the beach and swimming. I am not looking at any flags being set up. It is up to the lifeguards to tell the people in the water it is dangerous and to get out. 

On 6/12/2024 at 4:51 AM, thesetat2013 said:

You missed the point.... The article said the woman saw the lifeguards putting out the flags. Why they were not getting the tourists out of the water at the same time. It is their job to do this before any danger to safety has arrived. Surely they knew and saw the seas getting too rough. If I am at the beach and swimming. I am not looking at any flags being set up. It is up to the lifeguards to tell the people in the water it is dangerous and to get out. 

they put red flag out to cover their ass>
i swim at Kamala every afternoon, red flags an the water is fine>>> no strong current, no rips... Just lazy Life guards
NOW if they used Yellow flags for caution

than more people would respect the red ones

Biggest problem being , people see others out in the water with red flags out so they go in>  what is not known is, some people can handle rips an currents, some cant 

seldom  ( if ever) see the lifeguards in the water and they cant always tell from the beach, the status of the water

Edited by zzzzz