Equal marriage rights for men and women

7 minutes ago, kwilco said:

Isn't it about time that men and women had the same rights for their foreign spouses?

In which respect. My Thai wife beats me up every night, but I cannot retaliate. 555

• Haha 1

36 minutes ago, kwilco said:

Why is it a "trick question"? Thai men's spouse have different rights to Thai women's. Do you consider that is OK?

I understood your question & do believe it's about time that a Foreign Male married to a Thai Female got the same rights as a Foreign Female married to a Thai Male. 

Will be interesting to see how/if the introduction of same sex marriages changes anything or whether they will have the same discrimination with a Foreign Male married to a Thai Male Vs a Foreign Female married to a Thai Female. 

As an aside it would also be good if we could have Civil Partnerships in Thailand, I simply don't believe in getting married (never had) but my Thai GF won't be able to inherit my pension unless we're in a Civil Partnership or married so am going to have to do something about it over the next couple of years.  

Edited by Mike Teavee
  • Like 1

Just now, Mike Teavee said:

I understood your question & do believe it's about time that a Foreign Male married to a Thai Female got the same rights as a Foreign Female married to a Thai Male. 

Will be interesting to see how/if the introduction of same sex marriages changes anything & whether they will have the same discrimination with a Foreign Male married to a Thai Male Vs a Foreign Female married to a Thai Female. 

I'm not convinced same sex marriage whenever it comes here will actually have any immigration implications. It seems to me the immigration part requires separate legislation and gay foreigners rights aren't exactly big concerns with the Thai public. We'll see. 

• Haha 1
  • Agree 1

1 minute ago, Mike Teavee said:

Will be interesting to see how/if the introduction of same sex marriages changes anything & whether they will have the same discrimination with a Foreign Male married to a Thai Male Vs a Foreign Female married to a Thai Female. 

Yes - it would be interesting to see how same sex marriah=ges affect this - but maybe they would keep the same rules for Thai husband or Thai wife?

Just now, Jingthing said:

I'm not convinced same sex marriage whenever it comes here will actually have any immigration implications. It seems to me the immigration part requires separate legislation and gay foreigners rights aren't exactly big concerns with the Thai public. We'll see. 

So if a Thai gay person wants to marry a foreigner the law doesn't cover that?

Just now, Jingthing said:

I would hope that the same sex foreign spouse of a Thai would be able to get a Marriage Visa if they wanted/needed one. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Mike Teavee said:

I would hope that the same sex foreign spouse of a Thai would be able to get a Marriage Visa if they wanted/needed one. 

It's a reasonable hope. Me too. But don't make assumptions. The immigration implications of marriage equality here haven't even been mentioned in the press. 

• Agree 1

32 minutes ago, Mike Teavee said:

The simple fact that they have failed to address these issues before they started talking about same sex marriages, proves that the current Thai government doesn't have any structured approach to reform. Superficial whimsy governance.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Mike Teavee said:

my Thai GF won't be able to inherit my pension unless we're in a Civil Partnership or married so am going to have to do something about it over the next couple of years.  

I assume you're referring to having a civil partnership or marriage in your home country for this purpose. Which means of course that you don't need to wait for the Thai government to do anything.

In my case our Canberra civil certificate means that my Thai b/f will be entitled to 66% of my Oz federal government superannuation for life after I'm dead. Same (I think) for OAPs.

• Thumbs Up 2

2 hours ago, mfd101 said:

I assume you're referring to having a civil partnership or marriage in your home country for this purpose. Which means of course that you don't need to wait for the Thai government to do anything.

In my case our Canberra civil certificate means that my Thai b/f will be entitled to 66% of my Oz federal government superannuation for life after I'm dead. Same (I think) for OAPs.

If I could have a Civil Partnership in Thailand I wouldn’t need to get one in the UK, but that is my Plan C as looking at the hassles involved in getting a Civil Partnership in The UK, it’s probably easier just to marry her in Thailand. 

And who said romance was dead 🙂

Joking aside I just want to make sure she’s well taken care of should anything happen to me. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Jingthing said:

The discussion was not about homosexuals but glad to see you twist it in that direction.

Easier for female to gain visa, citizenship for all Chinese bringing women into Thailand to be wives and especially mothers

Brokie farang ain't getting that treatment. Ridiculous to even think

13 hours ago, kwilco said:

Yes - it would be interesting to see how same sex marriah=ges affect this - but maybe they would keep the same rules for Thai husband or Thai wife?

Can't wait to see male passports stamped

THAI WIFE

😁😜😆😂

6 hours ago, BusNo8 said:

Can't wait to see male passports stamped

THAI WIFE

😁😜😆😂

I think you are getting entangked in senantics.

If you were a woman married to Thai woman?

Most languages have an equivalent to the word "spouse"

45 minutes ago, kwilco said:

I think you are getting entangked in senantics.

If you were a woman married to Thai woman?

Most languages have an equivalent to the word "spouse"

Odd bc what's been stamped in my passport for the last decade and a half

THAI WIFE

Maybe they have a she/her/hym/it/they/we/zhir/zee/zipadeedoodah stamp? Dunno

What if the male homosexual obtaining the extension is the top / dom / man - is he now the bit*h by law?

If Immigration catches wind of US homosexual marriage stats it might be doomed before it starts.. oh and please when immigration nitpicks no public temper tantrums

It is equal if your spouse has the education and resource to contest and fight back.

Then they are still fighting a uphill battle dealing woth the dominate Men judges who dont follow law since ruling fairly would basically rule against themselves.

Then you got the majority who has no resources to even contest.

16 hours ago, kwilco said:

In English you use the word spouse, in Thai I'm not sure what the word is. As Said you're getting confused by semantics.

Also the original post is about equal rights for both male and female rights. Regardless to hetrerosexual or homosexual mariages

What are you on about here? You are absolutely dead wrong regardless of your understanding of English. What you clearly do not comprehend is Thai Immigration's use of English.

Like everything else government related - This has absolutely nothing to do with how we might dis/agree with that.

For nearly a decade and a half Thai wife has been stamped in my passport.

Period

I was simply having a laugh at homosexual stupidity and it's fetish with contorting language to make itself feel less/ no shame. Trouble is things outside Anglo countries are out of their control.

So, the farang, top gay man gets stamp THAI WIFE.

That tranny F2M gets THAI WIFE

Edited by BusNo8

7 hours ago, Caldera said:

Definitely. That's long overdue. 

Please go file your complaint with the Thai government. Here you're just moaning

Thailand should explore homosexual divorce stats before it troubles itself. Especially those of the lesbian ilk

Edited by BusNo8

1 hour ago, BusNo8 said:

Thailand should explore homosexual divorce stats before it troubles itself. Especially those of the lesbian ilk

I think you misunderstand this topic, this isn't primarily about same-sex marriages.

For a foreign woman married to a Thai man, immigration's rules for allowing her to stay in Thailand are very different from those for a foreign man married to a Thai woman.

They should be treated equally.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

3 hours ago, Caldera said:

I think you misunderstand this topic, this isn't primarily about same-sex marriages.

For a foreign woman married to a Thai man, immigration's rules for allowing her to stay in Thailand are very different from those for a foreign man married to a Thai woman.

They should be treated equally.

I understand clearly

I am just bemused at the gay Thai Wife stamp bc of all it's complications for the gay woke

Treated equally. What a laff. If you expect to be treated equally in this country you might as well just leave now.

We are discriminated against daily both socially and in law.

It might be a best to accept the reality on its own terms

Posted (edited)

For nearly a decade and a half Thai wife has been stamped in my passpor

You are clearly homophobic and don't understand what the word spouse means.

so you are a "Thai wife" - are you male or female?

By turning this into an anti gay rant you are missing the point - I'm talking about equal rights for married peopolep regardless of gender. THe fact is that a Thai man has more rights over a Thai woman in marrying a foreigner -you don't seem to address this at all, precumably because you are fixating on one word and single marriage between men.

Edited by kwilco
  • Agree 1

Please go file your complaint with the Thai government. Here you're just moaning

who's moaning???

• Thumbs Up 1