Canadian Tourist Robbed During Night in Pattaya Hotel

webfact

4 hours ago, Mason45 said:

Just think of the arduous task of getting their gear off. He must be a spend thrift with a sense of humor to pay 4 k  for those 2 crackers,

Don't know where you are from but they are definitely not crackers.

• Haha 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, cncltd1973 said:

there's no photo credit listed beneath tha photo so that's AI generated... check out the next photo below that one of the 2 African aunties with the proper photo credit!

Photo 3, the girl in the little black dress is back!

31 minutes ago, mogandave said:

I was talking about room safes, not the hotel safe. 

It has been my experience that even nicer hotels typically have safes that are not very secure. 

But you go ahead and trust them.

The problem with a safe is that a thief knows where to start looking .

If the Canadian had put the money under the mattress he would of been awakened as the two ladies of the night took a bo-peep.

It is possible that the guest will claim on his travel insurance.

Money under the mattrese would not make a successful claim.

It could be why there was a generous payment for the two ladies.

3 hours ago, ChasingTheSun said:

Canadian passport maybe, but not a Canadian.

Ignorant much this one is:

"4 (1) Subject to this Order, any person who is a Canadian citizen under the Act may be issued a passport.

• (2) No passport shall be issued to a person who is not a Canadian citizen under the Act."

https://laws.justice.gc.ca/eng/regulations/si-81-86/FullText.html

• Confused 1
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, impulse said:

Seriously?  You'd travel halfway around the world with less than $3,000 USD in cash?   Especially as a tourist.

What happens if comms are down (for a myriad of reasons), or if your 2FA phone gets lost or stolen or damaged?  Or your wallet gets filched on the MRT with all your credit and debit cards in it?  It'll take days to clear up that mess and that can get mighty hungry, even if you've paid hotels in advance.  With my banks back home, even longer if it happens on a Friday because they won't be open until Monday, even the phone number on the cards.

I generally keep $4,900 USD separate from my wallet, because $5K is the non-report limit for some of the countries I visit.  Sometimes, I'll go for years between dipping into it.  But when I needed it, I needed it. Usually because the bank "detected unusual card use" and 2FA didn't go through, for SIM issues.

In 2024 those are no longer concerns.

your 2 fa should be tied to a Voip when possible and or a cell company that is digital based.

I use Google voce for most but those that I cannot I have a real number and it is thru an e sim in my phone.

Even when phone down I can access thru a pc 2fa codes sent to my numbers.

I can call and get a new virtual credit card / ATM  card within the hour instantly If they are lost.

Your assumption is you also still have your passport 

You can go to any local bank and pull money from your home bank if you have your info...

Or you can use remitly and send yourself cash instantly to a bank.

Carrying cash like that is an unnecessary liability nowadays unless 5k is nothing for you

I have friends that carry a few $1000 USD k in their wallet at all times bc they feel broke without it on hand.

They lose it it's like only losing $20 for normal people though.

You obviously are nit hurting in life cash wise, 

But im simoly updating your tech knowledge of what's available now at everyone's disposal that negates the old issues you mention that werw ONCE a true problem

2 hours ago, impulse said:

Seriously?  You'd travel halfway around the world with less than $3,000 USD in cash?   Especially as a tourist.

What happens if comms are down (for a myriad of reasons), or if your 2FA phone gets lost or stolen or damaged?  Or your wallet gets filched on the MRT with all your credit and debit cards in it?  It'll take days to clear up that mess and that can get mighty hungry, even if you've paid hotels in advance.  With my banks back home, even longer if it happens on a Friday because they won't be open until Monday, even the phone number on the cards.

I generally keep $4,900 USD separate from my wallet, because $5K is the non-report limit for some of the countries I visit.  Sometimes, I'll go for years between dipping into it.  But when I needed it, I needed it. Usually because the bank "detected unusual card use" and 2FA didn't go through, for SIM issues.

I had less than that for my 15 night stay in Bangkok earlier this year. Mind you for the full 15 nights that I was there I was alone when I was in my room. (I did have a plastic card with me though).

• Haha 1

"According to Mr. Khalid, the event unfolded on June 10 when he invited the two Ugandan women to his hotel room on Pattaya-Na Kluea Road for a few drinks and to spend the night. He paid them 2,000 baht each for their time."

Is that not prostitution? I thought there was none in Pattaya? Or so we have been led to believe by the top brass! 🙄

10 minutes ago, Dart12 said:

your 2 fa should be tied to a Voip when possible and or a cell company that is digital based.

I use Google voce for most but those that I cannot I have a real number and it is thru an e sim in my phone.

I can call and get a new virtual credit card / ATM  card within the hour instantly If they are lost.

You can go to any local bank and pull money from your home bank if you have your info...

Or you can use remitly and send yourself cash instantly to a bank.

Carrying cash like that is an unnecessary liability nowadays unless 5k is nothing for you

I have friends that carry a few $1000 USD k in their wallet at all times bc they feel broke without it on hand.

They lose it it's like only losing $20 for normal people though.

You obviously are nit hurting in life cash wise, 

But im simoly updating your tech knowledge of what's available now at everyone's disposal that negates the old issues you mention that werw ONCE a true problem

You need to update your own tech knowledge a bit mate! These days on most devices there is a thing called "Spell Check". I suggest you use it!

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, ChasingTheSun said:

Canadian passport maybe, but not a Canadian.

Difficult to believe that so many people are clueless about Canadian people. 

There are vitually no "original" Canadians!

Less than 5% of the population claim to be "indigenous", meaning that 95% of Canadians are from other countries, and other parts of the world!

• Agree 2

2 hours ago, mogandave said:

It has been my experience that even nicer hotels typically have safes that are not very secure

The only time i have ever lost money was not in a room safe , but safe deposit box's behind reception desk ,which opened with your own password . The staff of course denied taking money from it , but at first use of it ,I was only putting Thai Bath only in and as with Thai Bath , there is  so much of it , I thought ,maybe I miss counted it  ,when I thought some was missing , but  the next time I put only Australian dollars only, $ 1700 in 100 dollar bills easy to count and of course $ 200 went missing,,they were cunning , only taking a little amount at a time , in the hope  you did not notice . Regards Popa

7 hours ago, Mason45 said:

Just think of the arduous task of getting their gear off. He must be a spend thrift with a sense of humor to pay 4 k  for those 2 crackers,

2000 X2 for long stay to include 4 hand massage, perfectly normal, but my mates tell me a 4 hand is no good because they don't stop talking to each other. 

I had several experiences with a few Ugandan women who were attending the University where I was a maintenance Plumber. I vividly remember that I could've done with a few more inches to satisfy them. They say pussies come in 2 sizes, big ones or whoppas. Believe me they were both whoppas.

Edited by Mason45
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Dart12 said:

I appreciate that there are options available that weren't available back in the day.  But I'm still a little butthurt by 2 of my banks who froze my accounts while I was abroad simply because I no longer had a US address.  There was no coming back from that without going back home, and in person.  My cash stash was sure handy.  (On an aside, I thought it was stupidity on my part, but then I talked to several co-workers and family members who had the same thing happen to them, on expat assignments with Fortune 100 companies.)  And US banks aren't getting any friendlier to non-residents.

TBH, I haven't looked into the new and zoomy VOIP 2FA.  Partly because Google is blocked where I'm staying so Google services (other than Fi for voice and text) is a non-starter. And even with Fi, it's extremely spotty.  I'd also add that I'm pretty cheap, so it's not like I wouldn't miss the $4900. That's why I rarely dig into it.  But I have used it several times to flash cash at the check-in counter, to meet visa exempt requirements.

I also recall an assignment where we were required by company policy to always carry $10K USD and a pre-paid, 100% refundable first class ticket out of the country.  But that wasn't Thailand...  It came in handy for one guy who hit a camel and the cops came looking for him to extort a million $$$.  Being out of the country kept him from arrest and gave the company leverage over the settlement. Again, not in Thailand.  But a cautionary tale I take to heart.

Edited by impulse
  • Love It 1