Free Healthcare for Thais.

Jumbo1968

1 hour ago, newbee2022 said:

Again, medical advice online without evidence? 😵‍💫

The advice is simply to see doctor.

Just listed some of the possible causes of left lower adomen pain lasting for months  in a woman, mainly to illustrate that (1) she does need to see a doctor and (2) while cancer is one possibility,  there are also a number of  treatable causes other than cancer.  (Since it seems she is reluctant to see a doctor for fear of "bad news"). 

If you want to add to that list, feel free

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, Jumbo1968 said:

The rental agreement is in my name.

Should be easy enough to add her name to the lease. Jusr ask the landlord. Or, are any of the bills (utilities etc) in her name? 

If as others have said, Chonburi area hospitals now allow registration without tabian ban listing, then should be straight forward enough to get her registered at local hospital.

But you still need to get her to overcome her fear and seek medical help. 

• Thumbs Up 2

10 minutes ago, couchpotato said:

I find this thread mind-boggling. The lady is obviously sick and needs to consult a doctor, yet most of the posts are about changing address and house book registration. 

So @Jumbo1968 put your foot down and take her to a hospital to get checked out, instead of all this other foolishness.

There is no foolishness about the replies.  The OP asked about the 30 baht scheme.

And members tried to provide help.  The OP also said he wasn't happy about paying for the treatment.

• Agree 1

5 minutes ago, Raindancer said:

There is no foolishness about the replies.  The OP asked about the 30 baht scheme.

And members tried to provide help.  The OP also said he wasn't happy about paying for the treatment.

I have no problem paying for an initial consultation, a colleague paid ฿3000 at the government hospital in Si Racha for treatment for his g/f cysts which I wouldn’t have a problem paying for.

After discussing the subject today my g/f I have known her for 10 years has just said out of the blue why don’t we register we are married at the Amphur Office. Would that make me liable for any medical cost  or any debts she incurred ?

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Jumbo1968 said:

I have no problem paying for an initial consultation, a colleague paid ฿3000 at the government hospital in Si Racha for treatment for his g/f cysts which I wouldn’t have a problem paying for.

After discussing the subject today my g/f I have known her for 10 years has just said out of the blue why don’t we register we are married at the Amphur Office. Would that make me liable for any medical cost  or any debts she incurred ?

I cannot answer your last question or the implications of debts your partner may have incurred prior to your proposed marriage or thereafter.   The same goes for any medical bills she might now incur.

On a personal note would do some research before tying the knot.  

But it would not be unreasonable to think that any debts incurred by her, prior to marriage, are her responsibility and not yours.

I also wonder why she is now suggesting marriage?   Please don't be offended at this comment.   But if I was in your place and debts or medical bills ownership/ responsibility crossed my mind, when she suddenly mentioned marriage, I would ask myself this question.

Perhaps you should open another thread on this, as there may be forum members who have actual expertise in these questions.

Edited by Raindancer
Clarification of a comment by me

1 hour ago, Jumbo1968 said:

If you are seriously inclined to marry her, I suggest you post the question about debt liability  in the Marriage and Family forum.  She should in any case not incur medical costs as she should register under the 30 baht system.

However, what possible connection is there to her medical issues and need to get  herself and her son registered locally for the 30 baht system?  Suggest you probe to find out what, in her mind, getting married would achieve and why she brings this up now. I suspect there is some wrong assumption on her part in there somehow.....either that, or else something entirely other than a medical problem is going in and perhaps there is not & has never been really a pain in her abdomen. Thai women are fond of making what they call "tests" to see what a man will do in certain circumstances, in the belief that this then tells them something important about him and their relationship.  Can cause huge amounts of confusion.

• Thumbs Up 1

As far as I know no debts, she has a quarter share of land and her parents both deceased house in Isaan. I was out today and it’s only when I returned she brought the subject up about marriage, never ever mentioned before, maybe she was speaking to some of the family when I was out ?

5 minutes ago, Jumbo1968 said:

As far as I know no debts, she has a quarter share of land and her parents both deceased house in Isaan. I was out today and it’s only when I returned she brought the subject up about marriage, never ever mentioned before, maybe she was speaking to some of the family when I was out ?

I have no wish to cause you unnecessary alarm, nor malign your lady.   But 10 years in and she never mentioned marriage!

I did write a lengthy reply,  but decided not to.

All I will say, is tread carefully.

There are too many red flags for me personally and I would have my doubts.

I hope you arrive at a sensible decision that makes you feel comfortable.

Remember, the old saying, " if you have to talk yourself into something, and someone gently prods you into it, it's probably the wrong decision.

Good luck

• Agree 1

7 hours ago, Sheryl said:

<snip>

If  she won't ask the landlord, you should.  If landlord is in country  all it needs from their side is a single visit to the ampur (together with his blue book  your GF and her son and their Thai IDs).

<snip>

Are you sure about this? It used to be you had to go first, with the owner of the housebook and the housebook, to the amphur where you were registered and submit a request to be removed from that housebook, then go to the new amphur, with the owner and the housebook, and submit a request to be added to the housebook.

20 minutes ago, Jumbo1968 said:

That or, as I suggested, the whole abdominal pain thing was actually a "test" which you passed by showing active concern.

Need to probe to find out what is really going on here.

If you can't find out why she is bringing up marriage at this time, and whether she really has/ever had this medical issue, then have to question if there is sufficient communication to even consider marriage. But as they say, "up to you".

\Marriage will definitely not solve the 30 baht registration issue, nor her medical problem if in fact she has one.

• Agree 1

4 minutes ago, Acharn said:

Are you sure about this? It used to be you had to go first, with the owner of the housebook and the housebook, to the amphur where you were registered and submit a request to be removed from that housebook, then go to the new amphur, with the owner and the housebook, and submit a request to be added to the housebook.

I was referring to what was required on the landlord's part. Elsewhere I described the entire process  you mention, which

is indeed the way it has been, and what I intially told OP. 

But reliable board members are now reporting that this has changed, at least in Chonburi (an area with large number of people migrating in for work). No reason to disbelieve them and good news.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Acharn said:

Things have certainly changed in my years here.

My Western neighbour purchased his house and his wife is from another province, where she is registered on her Tabian ban with her 30 baht card.

All they had to do for her to obtain/ transfer the 30 baht scheme to her new domicile, was to present the Tabian ban from the new house and her Thai ID card.

This was done locally and once the ID card was entered into the Amphur computer,it recognised the wife's residential address in the other province, and they noted her new domiciled address, and it was changed there and then.

There was no need to return to the Thai wife's province to remove her from her residential address.  It was all amended on line.

• Agree 1

3 hours ago, Jumbo1968 said:

I really fail to see if she has been your girlfriend for 10 years, why you are reluctant to pay for medical treatment if she is sick. 

Edited by couchpotato
  • Sad 1
  • Agree 1

4 minutes ago, couchpotato said:

I really fail to see if she has been your girlfriend for 10 years, why you are reluctant to pay for medical treatment if she is sick. 

Because she is eligible for free care under the government system, and he is concerned that she might need quite expensive treatment once diagnosed.

He has indicated a willingness to pay for initial consultation etc which is likely to cost not too much, but understandably wants to get her registered under the government system in case anything major is found. Perfectly reasonable and showing concern for her welfare IMO.

• Thumbs Up 2

2 hours ago, couchpotato said:

Once I consider someone my stable gf (not a fleeting affair) I want her to have the same medical treatment that I would choose for myself.  I don't care how much it cost. I haven't met a girl yet whose treatment I couldn't easily pay. 

I am quite stingy about everything else.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Raindancer said:

Things have certainly changed in my years here.

My Western neighbour purchased his house and his wife is from another province, where she is registered on her Tabian ban with her 30 baht card.

All they had to do for her to obtain/ transfer the 30 baht scheme to her new domicile, was to present the Tabian ban from the new house and her Thai ID card.

This was done locally and once the ID card was entered into the Amphur computer,it recognised the wife's residential address in the other province, and they noted her new domiciled address, and it was changed there and then.

There was no need to return to the Thai wife's province to remove her from her residential address.  It was all amended on line.

Good news indeed, although thank goodness it doesn't apply to anyone in my family (anymore).