Foreigner fined for threatening Thai cyclist with dogs

webfact

Foreigner fined for threatening Thai cyclist with dogs

image.jpeg

Trat - On the morning of June 26, 2024, Mr. Thakorn, aged 60, spoke out about a concerning incident for many people in Mai Rut Subdistrict. He warned villagers walking or cycling near the public beach to beware of dogs from a nearby resort. 

Mr. Thakorn recounted how he typically bikes for exercise near the beach every morning. However, on this day, a group of about 5-6 dogs from the resort ran towards him, causing him to fall off his bicycle in fear.

As he stood to protect himself, a foreigner emerged from the resort and forbade him from being on the beach, speaking in English. The foreigner then pushed Mr. Thakorn three times, causing him to fall and injure his leg.

Mr. Thakorn reported the incident to Mai Rut Police Station at 9:00 a.m. the same day. The police summoned the foreigner, identified as Mr. Mario, who claimed to be the resort owner. 

He admitted to releasing the dogs and making threats against Mr. Thakorn. The police fined Mr. Mario 1,000 baht for his actions before releasing him.

Mr. Thakorn expressed his concern to the news team, emphasizing his desire for the police to thoroughly investigate Mr. Matio's background. He highlighted that he did not seek damages but wanted the incident to serve as a warning to others in the area. 

He also criticized the police for not checking Mr. Mario's visa status and not reviewing CCTV footage from the resort.

Meanwhile, Grandma Sombat, aged 78, a local villager who collects antiques for a living, shared her own experience of being bitten by a dog from the resort while gathering old items in front of it. She received 200 baht in compensation from Mr. Mario's wife. Despite the public beach status, villagers now avoid walking past the resort due to fear of dog attacks.

news-logo-btm.jpg

-- 2024-06-28

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

• Confused 1
  • Sad 10
  • Haha 1

31 minutes ago, n00dle said:

i reckon that is the point of the news coverage. The fact the owner was a farang is the whole of the story.

It been a while since we have had a good bad Farang story. Whether owned by farang or Thai, in the south there is a long-standing tradition for beachfront property owners to own dogs that chase strangers off their beach. 

I remember running the gauntlet from Bantai to Haadrin along the beach years ago chased by threatening dogs. If you didn't stand up to them you could get a nasty nip. 

many an uninitiated beach walker  ended up walking in the sea to avoid confrontation.

That said this Mario fellow is <deleted>. 

Many years ago in Bangkok I was out on my morning walk, 3 dogs came running towards me and looking like they might be aggressive. I'm quite tall and gangly and ran straight towards them waving my arms around (making myself look bigger), they ran away. It's a good idea to carry a walking stick or umbrella for such purposes.

In later years you pretty much never saw dogs on the streets of lower-Sukhumvit any more, 20 years previously there had been lots.

• Agree 2

15 minutes ago, cjinchiangrai said:

I am not running a business and subject to the regulations that every business must meet. That is called conditions of a license.

The likes of you are responsible for the view of foreigners as arrogant and self-entitled.

Busy body

• Confused 2
  • Sad 1
  • Agree 1

13 minutes ago, cjinchiangrai said:

I am not running a business and subject to the regulations that every business must meet. That is called conditions of a license.

The likes of you are responsible for the view of foreigners as arrogant and self-entitled.

please explain the fine nuance between just plain entitled and self-entitled, I'm dying to know.

is self-entitled like self-selfish?

and I'm not sure how promoting caution in demanding investigations into individuals you take exception to is entitled. In your earlier post you said nothing about the business.   

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

I'm struggling to believe that they didn't check his visa status?

He appears to use the dogs to intimade and frighten people so don't let him pay his way out of this.........either make him be a responsible dog owner and keep the dogs on a leash or take them off him. 

I suspect I know what his choice would be. 

• Thumbs Up 1