Hardwood for some small home hobby projects.

HermosaBeachGuy

I'd like to try my hand at making some small boxes and cabinets. for the boxes, think med/large sewing box size, for the cabinets think a deep medicine cabinet above a sink.

My point is, I just need a small amount of wood. But, I'd like to work with some nice hardwoods...maybe mahogany or teak (I'm not yet educated about local hardwood options....).

Does anyone have any suggestions, since Google has recently become so bloated and unhelpful, about where I can source wood of this nature?

thanks

28 minutes ago, HermosaBeachGuy said:

Very cool, thanks.  Sadly, it's out near Chatachuk, and I live up near Phra Khanong.  I'm quite old, so getting out is a bit of bother... but if I can't find anything online, I do an excursion. 

Thanks again.

I also ordered MDF and other not natural wood on Lazada, no problem.

But I guess if you want "real wood", then you better look at things.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, HermosaBeachGuy said:

But, I'd like to work with some nice hardwoods...maybe mahogany or teak (I'm not yet educated about local hardwood options....).

Are you familiar with working with natural wood?

I read a long article about many details of such wood and all the headache which you can have with it. So just in case you are not familiar with possible problem, then better educate yourself first or maybe try with cheaper wood at the beginning.

I also remember I saw some interesting YouTube videos about that.

My 2 favorite wood markets in Bangkok are around Bang Sue and another surrounding the Golden Mountain Temple. I can wander around either one for hours. I'm traveling today so I struggle posting a map link (fat finger typist. I am)

Maybe that'll jog someone else's memory. 

The market around Golden Mount is hard to miss. But I'll have to look at Google maps to nail down the one near Bang Sue. Neither was close to MRT or BTS 10 years ago, but maybe they've built out closer to Bang Sue.

Edit: Google maps, search "Bang Sue wood market".

Edited by impulse
  • Like 1