Thai-ed up: British man’s terrifying prison ordeal in Thailand

snoop1130

I know you are in the IDC until you can pay the fine and the flight home, but I've always wondered about the funds, do they allow you to use your cards, what if you have cash at your condo is there some leeway to retrieve it or do you literally have to have cash on you etc.

I mean if you are overstaying and know about it why wouldn't you have 40,000 -60k baht (20k fine 20k-40k one way ticket depending on your origin country) tucked away to be in and out in a day or 2 until the flight

• Thumbs Up 1

Well, well, well!  Another Brit making the headlines.

Maybe this should be posted on the “jobs in Thailand” thread.

So many appear to be interested in working as a teacher legally or illegally.

Banned for 5 years.  My money is on he will be back in Thailand after the ban but maybe before and may end up like his Brit counterpart in Phuket.  

Will he seek employment as an English teacher again?  Or as a digital nomad with his “online coaching “ skills.  

People actually pay someone they never met for this?  They may wind up posting on the “I got scammed online “ thread.

Or he may stay in Britain and sell timeshares in the Midlands, online or tele of course.

Edited by G_Money
  • Confused 3
  • Sad 1
  • Agree 1

13 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

“It was a nightmare; the conditions were so inhumane and horrendous. You never knew when your end date would be. It was very frustrating.”

Yeah, that´s how it is when you mistake IDC for a five start hotel, dude! Just stop being a criminal, and you life will be alrighty.

• Haha 2

11 hours ago, Sheryl said:

Have to come upo with the fin(often 20,000 baht) as well as the ticket.

And I suspect the staff there don't hurry things even once all that is in order.

Actually if you are taken to court for overstay the fine is never the maximum, it is normally around the 4/5k mark

• Agree 1

11 hours ago, Tropicalevo said:

Good.

It is a punishment, not a holiday camp.

Punishment, maybe, but utterly disproportionate, which reveals that human rights have no value in Thailand.

And embassies/Foreign Affairs depts, should do their job, issue warnings against Thailand and/or provide assistance to their nationals whose lives are at risk while processed by immigration.

Edited by Ben Zioner
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

A British man from Birmingham revealed the harrowing tale of his five-month ordeal in a Thai prison, labelling the conditions as inhumane and horrendous.

Jamie Morton was teaching English in Thailand when he got entangled in the local drug and alcohol scene.

Boo hoo

• Confused 1

Waaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhh.

Don't do the crime if you can't do the time....WHINER!

Thought the Brits were supposed to be tough.  

Hundreds of Nigerians in Thai prison and none are complaining.  

Next time, realize where you are before thinking of getting into trouble!

• Like 1
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, still kicking said:

What I don't understand people like that put on a plane leaving the next day in OZ

I think they get some kind of funding from the UN $10 per inmate per day so it's big business for some one.... Totally over crowded, very sad place and a sandal for Thailand to be so inhumane.

• Confused 1

11 hours ago, redwood1 said:

Lots of people have worked illegally as a Teacher......LOADS.......The schools even encouraged it......

Then there is lots of talk about drugs and alcohol and the wrong crowd that has nothing to do with teaching.....

Strange and pointless story... That makes no point.....Except Thai jails are bad....

Good deterrent for future wanna be criminals.

1 hour ago, Ben Zioner said:

Punishment, maybe, but utterly disproportionate, which reveals that human rights have no value in Thailand.

And embassies/Foreign Affairs depts, should do their job, issue warnings against Thailand and/or provide assistance to their nationals whose lives are at risk while processed by immigration.

And embassies/Foreign Affairs depts, should do their job, issue warnings to their nationals NOT to be criminals in foreign countries (stick to their home country, if they insist on been a criminal).

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1
  • Agree 1

10 hours ago, frank83628 said:

prison isn't supposed to be a holiday camp, which it is in the UK to be honest!. in the uk you are locked for similar time per day, unless you apply for gym, education etc etc. you dont just get pulled off the street if you are minding your own business. no smoke without fire as the saying goes

I'm guessing you have first hand experience .....but not recent.

These days in the UK, prisons are overcrowded, staff numbers are low and prisoners may be locked in 24 hrs a day. 

https://news.sky.com/story/emergency-measure-triggered-to-deal-with-prison-overcrowding-in-england-13136155