Which is the best air conditioning brand out there?

Posted (edited)

Previously had Daiken, but are there any others I should currently consider please.

Samsung's wind free just how effective is it.

And Haier what have been your experiences with this new brand.

Edited by up2you2

Personally, we use Mitsubishi and Panasonic, no problems whatsoever. See a lot of old Panasonic a/c’s running strong and cold. Also important to note is the quality of the cfm vacuum pump the installer uses. 

• Thumbs Up 1

25 minutes ago, 300sd said:

Bought Samsung wind free two months ago. So far it's working great.

Tell us again in 10 years please.

• Agree 1

We are all Hitachi now.

Our original Samsung gave out after 9 years with a failed radiator (aluminium).

Its replacement Sharp was just junk, never got anywhere near the advertised cooling capacity.

• Thanks 1

Mitsubishi Heavy Industries are quiet and powerful. Neighbour transplanted a 20 year old unit and it works perfectly. Forgot to turn ours off in wife's shop when we went away on holidays. Noticed very little difference in the next monthly electricity bill. It was already installed in our shop when we first took it on 17 years ago. Never broken down.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Had a Panasonic for 14 years or more. Recommended, but we decided as a replacement to get a Daikin due to more BTU and lower price.

Is Daikin better than Panasonic?
Daikin excels in energy efficiency and cooling performance, making it ideal for hot climates. Panasonic offers robust cooling, excellent air purification with Nanoe-G, and even cooling with Aerowings. Both brands are reliable, so your choice should be based on the features that best suit your requirements.
Edited by IvorBiggun2
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

Avoid Carrier ..... they stink, literally.  A house and a 2 bed condo fitted with new Carrier X Inverters 2-3 years ago, and more than half of them have a bad 'swamp gas' smell on start up. 

The contractor who fitted them came back three times to check them and clean them, I've had them cleaned 4 times since then - and they still stink.

Was told it's due to the 'catalytic self cleaning coating' but that may be bull.

10 minutes ago, Doctor Tom said:

Bought three, all broken within 12 months, utter rubbish 

What were the failures??

If within 12 months they would be under warranty.

• Agree 2

1 hour ago, Crossy said:

We are all Hitachi now.

Our original Samsung gave out after 9 years with a failed radiator (aluminium).

Its replacement Sharp was just junk, never got anywhere near the advertised cooling capacity.

Same here all Hitachi with auto-cleaning function, can't fault them.

25 minutes ago, Crossy said:

What were the failures??

If within 12 months they would be under warranty.

Vanes broken, twice in one unit. All three had the same vanes problem, clearly poor manufacturing issues. Replaced them all with Daikin.   

• Thanks 2

Have had Daikin, Hitachi and LG in the past but now I'm a Midea convert.

Also have Midea hot-water shower units (replacing the original Panasonic), under sink hot water for the kitchen (replacing the original Ariston) and microwave (replacing the original Samsung).

I like Carrier because of their value, service and warranty. Compare warranties before you buy. 

Whatever you do, only buy units with copper coils. 

As far as energy ratings, these should be taken with a grain of salt, because the tests are done in very specific, controlled situations. Units end up being designed for the specific configuration, not real-world applications. 

I like cassette units and they are superior just about everything but price. 

Five Mitsubishis 12 years ago. 12k and 9k BTUs. Apart from the odd capacitor needing replacement, no problems whatsoever. Cleaned every year. Never any gas filling needed.

Bought 2 Mitsubishi Happy inverters 3 years ago, again, no problems. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

4 minutes ago, KannikaP said:

Five Mitsubishis 12 years ago. 12k and 9k BTUs. Apart from the odd capacitor needing replacement, no problems whatsoever. Cleaned every year. Never any gas filling needed.

Bought 2 Mitsubishi Happy inverters 3 years ago, again, no problems. 

I have 2 Mitsubishi Heat/Cool units.  Chiang Rai can get very cold, last time was 2013 or 2014, highest temperature in 2 weeks was 11C.

My Mitsubishi's are very sensitive to being clean, they leak if not kept clean. And they have gone yellow but then they are 10 years old. They've been yellow for at least 6 years.

• Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, JBChiangRai said:

There was a time when the gap between a poor A/C unit and a good one was significant.

Today I think most of them are pretty good.

We have installed well over a hundred A/C units as property developers.  Hands down the worst 10 years ago was LG.  In the last 5 or so years the worst is Daikin.  They go yellow very quickly and are not properly protected for Geckos.

The best value for money is the No.1 seller of A/C on Lazada and that is TCL. We've installed a couple of dozen in the last 4 years, no failures and all still brilliant white.  Daikin is running at a 50% failure rate, always gecko's and we had to scrap one because the outside unit's control board went and it was cheaper to fit a new TCL unit than repair it.

In a rental property you need it to just work.  Daikin's need resetting sometimes and it's a pain to do that. Carrier's also need resetting sometimes.

The very cheapest Diakins from 10 years ago are not comparable to a decent one bought today. I have 4 mid-range Diakin inverters from 5 years ago and they are on pretty much 24/7. Never yellowed. No maintenance other than cleaning once a year. (Too lazy to do it twice a year.) Flawless.

8 minutes ago, FarangRimPing said:

The very cheapest Diakins from 10 years ago are not comparable to a decent one bought today. I have 4 mid-range Diakin inverters from 5 years ago and they are on pretty much 24/7. Never yellowed. No maintenance other than cleaning once a year. (Too lazy to do it twice a year.) Flawless.

I bought the Daikin "Smile" units, they were the cheapest Inverter models at the time.  They have been a disaster.

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
8 minutes ago, JBChiangRai said:

I bought the Daikin "Smile" units, they were the cheapest Inverter models at the time.  They have been a disaster.

Right, and if I remember correctly, you bought them at mid-night from a guy in a pick-up truck at the Big C in town. 

Edited by FarangRimPing
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1