Why do retirees marry in Thailand ?

A reported post breaking forum rules has been removed.

Reminder of rule 15. You will not discriminate or post slurs, degrading or overly negative comments on the basis of race, gender, age, religion, ethnicity, nationality, disability, medical history, marriage, civil partnership, pregnancy, maternity, paternity, gender identity, sexual orientation or any other irrelevant factor

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Why do retirees marry in Thailand ?

Convenience, choice etc which are not available at home.

IMHO (most, not all).

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Denim said:

Well, there is this thing called love.

Some people can live their entire lives without experiencing it , either from family or chosen mate. Naturally,  for them there is no such thing. It is just a sham emotion fulfilling a need.

There are others who , recognizing it exists, feel it is missing in their lives who then meet someone and immediately convince themselves they are in love and throw all caution to the wind. If things subsequently go bad they often become bitter and feel duped.

Love just does not work for some people and so they might as well forget it and concentrate on their own pleasure. 

However, if two people genuinely love each other they know it. The only reason I can think of for getting married  is that both parties love each other. Even so , it sometimes doesn't work out. You can fall in love and out of love.

I lived with my wife for 8 years and we felt no need to get married.  What finally pushed us was visa issues. It was easier to get permission to stay with her in Thailand being married. Now married for 14 years and no regrets. 

What is love?

I bet you can't give a definitive answer.

IMO love can be many things, but at essence it's a reaction to external stimuli that causes a chemical/ hormonal release in the body, that were designed into animals to make them mate to propogate the species.

Being human, of course, we have turned that basic genetic response into some illusory wonderful thing that for most wears off. If we are lucky we like our mate enough to stay together, but if unlucky it ends in divorce.

Seems you got lucky in that gamble.

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Are you sure?

I am together with my gf since many many years. In the first couple of years she asked me from time to time when I will marry her. I didn't give her any date or imply it will happen at all. I am still together with her.

Maybe there are women who give guys an ultimatum, and maybe they actually walk away if he doesn't marry them.

It seems to me many guys just marry because somehow they think it is expected from them.

So, I am pretty sure marriage can often be avoided.

About the family: I am not sure if it can be avoided. Now my gf goes every couple of months up country to visits the family. I stay in Bangkok. 

The few times if anybody from the family comes to Bangkok, I am ready to see them for a couple of hours. Maybe I buy lunch or something like that.

I don't want that they, or anybody else, spends the night in my apartment. If they want to stay for more than a day they can stay in a hotel.

Obviously it is up to anybody involved. I write this here to point out that it is possible to have a happy long time relationship without marrying and with little contact to the family. 

You are wise about the family. My wife and I were happy till we moved to be with the family. After that it was just a downward spiral to doom.

PS we were happy and unmarried- the move to live with family happened just after getting married. Lived together a few years first.

2 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

I hadn't been in a relationship for 10 years before discovering Thailand.

I was happy eating pizza every day, till she stopped providing pizza.

Haha, enjoy the pizza—everyone is different. I like different flavourings, and I think double-cheese daily bores me. I have been here 15 years, coming here 25 years - never once thought of a relationship. Variety is the spice of life!

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

4 hours ago, Franck60 said:

I’d be interested in a relationship but not in a marriage. I wouldn’t be interested in meeting her family either. Why complicate my life? I don’t have much family left in France either.

It's part of the deal.  The guy gets a younger attractive woman to have sex with, to cook for him, and to care for him when he is infirm and near death, and the woman gets access to his assets.  This deal is guaranteed through marriage and family involvement.

If the woman doesn't get any long-term guarantees, then she's not really getting anything out of the arrangement.

If you aren't prepared to make that promise of delivery of assets, you're likely to only get a girlfriend of a similar age and probably divorced with children.

It's all about business in Thailand, unless you're 21 and attractive.

• Agree 1

9 minutes ago, BangkokReady said:

The guy gets a younger attractive woman to have sex with, to cook for him, and to care for him when he is infirm and near death

Is that a fact? Or they just make sure you die faster?

Just now, Celsius said:

Is that a fact? Or they just make sure you die faster?

It's a "fact", but not one that I can readily support with evidence.  A lot of people make this sort of claim.

I think murder of foreigner husbands, while not completely unheard of, is, luckily, quite rare.  Generally, I think if the woman is bad, then she will find a way to take everything without killing the foreign husband.  Any assets in Thailand will be in the Thai woman's name anyway.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1