Fatal crash at notorious Panthong bend leaves one dead, several injured

webfact

image.jpeg

A severe accident occurred at a notorious bend in Panthong, Chon Buri, resulting in the death of one individual and serious injuries to several others. The collision involved an Isuzu SUV and a Toyota pickup truck.

At 4.30am today, Kittikul Amatatrakul, Deputy Inspector of Investigation at Panthong Police Station, Chon Buri, received a report of a crash at the Christian cemetery bend in Khok Khinon sub-district. Responding swiftly, the police, along with the Sawang Uthayan Thammasathan rescue team, arrived on the scene to find a devastating situation.

The accident involved a white Toyota Revo pickup truck with a closed box, registered in Bangkok, and a white Isuzu MU-X SUV, also registered in Bangkok. The vehicles were severely damaged, with the front of the Toyota crushed against the SUV.

There were five people injured in the collision: two unidentified women in the backseat of the SUV, 32 year old Sathian, who was in the passenger seat of the SUV, and the SUV driver, whose identity remains unknown.

The driver was found in critical condition without a pulse, and despite immediate CPR efforts by rescuers, he succumbed to his injuries at the scene. Net Chomthong, the 44 year old driver of the pickup truck, was also critically injured and trapped in the wreckage. Rescuers used hydraulic equipment to free him, taking 10 minutes to extricate him before rushing him to Panthong Hospital.

Eyewitness testimony came from 26 year old Cake, who recounted the events from his vantage point at home. He heard a loud crash and immediately called emergency services.

Fatal collision

He speculated that the pickup truck was travelling from Hua Phai intersection towards Panthong, while the SUV was heading in the opposite direction. The bend where the accident occurred is known for frequent accidents, especially at night when vehicles often speed through the area. Cake suggested that the SUV might have lost control around the bend, leading to the collision.

Thawatchai Chucherd, a rescue worker from the Sawang Uthayan Thammasathan rescue team, confirmed that the accident resulted in four injuries and one fatality, specifically the SUV driver. The severity of the injuries suggested high-speed impact, a common factor in nighttime accidents on this stretch of road, reported KhaoSod.

Police found several beer cans in the back of the SUV, which they documented as evidence. The body of the SUV driver was transported to Panthong Hospital for a preliminary examination. Police plan to review CCTV footage to determine the exact cause of the accident and gather more evidence

by Nattapong Westwood

Picture courtesy of KhaoSod

Source: The Thaiger 2024-07-08

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

46 minutes ago, webfact said:

Christian cemetery bend

The name was chosen for a reason. 

It sounds like the SUV driver was going too fast and started to lose control on the bend resulting in a head on.

• Like 1

"He speculated that the pickup truck was travelling from Hua Phai intersection towards Panthong, while the SUV was heading in the opposite direction"

Definitely traveling in opposite directions...!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

The "beer cans in the back" might be the clue. One would hope they do a blood test on each driver to see which was the drunkest at the time.

I had an accident a couple years ago when a truck ran a stop sign at an intersection in a rural area of Rayong. I was taken to the local hospital and told they'd be testing my blood for alcohol.
The pick-up driver never even went. Seems he dropped his g/f off at the hospital and left.

I suspect as the accident was just after 1pm on a Saturday afternoon that he may have been coming from a "5 beer lunch" which is why he didn't stick around.
(I hadn't drank at all. I'd had a coffee that morning and a coke at lunch. I was quite upset that they were testing my blood and not his.)

Despite the fact that his own dash-cam footage showed him blowing throw a stop sign (that even had a red blinky light above it) - it seems no one bothered to check what he'd been doing before the accident. 
(It ended up with him paying for the repairs to the rear quarter-panel of his truck and that's it. I had to pay all my medical bills and repair costs. It seems the police decided that because "I hit him" that made it my fault ! But - because he ran the stop sign and caused the accident - he had to pay for his own repairs !)

Which is why you should always make sure you have insurance when driving/riding here. Lots of insurance. And then more insurance on top of that.
As you are likely going to end up paying for everything no matter what happened.

• Agree 1

Just another extremely overloaded pick-up truck in an accident. The maximum legal load for a pick-up is only a few hundred kg. Here you can see pick-ups with a ton of pineapples in the back, front wheels barely touching the road.. A heavy load will seriously effect handling and breaking capabilities of a pick-up.

• Confused 1
  • Agree 2

2 minutes ago, pattjock said:

Just another extremely overloaded pick-up truck in an accident. The maximum legal load for a pick-up is only a few hundred kg. Here you can see pick-ups with a ton of pineapples in the back, front wheels barely touching the road.. A heavy load will seriously effect handling and breaking capabilities of a pick-up.

Anddddd the pickup was not at fault according to the arrticle rendering your little speach nothing but Thai bashing dribble.

• Sad 3
  • Agree 2

4 minutes ago, pattjock said:

Not overloaded at all, they are called 1 ton pick-ups for a reason, not a few hundred kg pick-ups. The SUV is clearly fully at the wrong side of the road, no fault of the pick-up in this one.

55 minutes ago, Peterphuket said:

I also wonder, despite the Isuzu having a signal that goes off if you don't have them on, whether they were wearing their seatbelts.

Clip the belt into the catch when no one is in the seat.

Then sit and drive. Sorted.

• Agree 1

7 minutes ago, Tropicalevo said:

Clip the belt into the catch when no one is in the seat.

Then sit and drive. Sorted.

I use these, 56b a pair on lazada !

image.png.2b07b8ea0024ed7910ebd7bb2129dd8b.png

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

From the moment, many years ago when seat belts became compulsory, maybe 45 years ago, I was also against them.
But now I couldn't drive without them, it's for your own safety.

4 hours ago, Kerryd said:

The "beer cans in the back" might be the clue. One would hope they do a blood test on each driver to see which was the drunkest at the time.

I had an accident a couple years ago when a truck ran a stop sign at an intersection in a rural area of Rayong. I was taken to the local hospital and told they'd be testing my blood for alcohol.
The pick-up driver never even went. Seems he dropped his g/f off at the hospital and left.

I suspect as the accident was just after 1pm on a Saturday afternoon that he may have been coming from a "5 beer lunch" which is why he didn't stick around.
(I hadn't drank at all. I'd had a coffee that morning and a coke at lunch. I was quite upset that they were testing my blood and not his.)

Despite the fact that his own dash-cam footage showed him blowing throw a stop sign (that even had a red blinky light above it) - it seems no one bothered to check what he'd been doing before the accident. 
(It ended up with him paying for the repairs to the rear quarter-panel of his truck and that's it. I had to pay all my medical bills and repair costs. It seems the police decided that because "I hit him" that made it my fault ! But - because he ran the stop sign and caused the accident - he had to pay for his own repairs !)

Which is why you should always make sure you have insurance when driving/riding here. Lots of insurance. And then more insurance on top of that.
As you are likely going to end up paying for everything no matter what happened.

They have the same mindset as they do in Saudi Arabia.....If you did not enter the Country, then He would not have hit you, therefore it is automatically 50% your fault to start with.

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, Ralf001 said:

Anddddd the pickup was not at fault according to the arrticle rendering your little speach nothing but Thai bashing dribble.

aaaaaaaand the they will continue to get bashed until they stop driving on the wrong side of the road around bends.

1 minute ago, NorthernRyland said:

aaaaaaaand the they will continue to get bashed until they stop driving on the wrong side of the road around bends.

Like the MUX driver ?

21 hours ago, Peterphuket said:

Never seen a thai staying on his own side of the road in a bend, so nothing out of the ordinary.
I also wonder, despite the Isuzu having a signal that goes off if you don't have them on, whether they were wearing their seatbelts.

Too bloody right..... see it most days exiting where I live on a sharp bend.... frequently come face to face with someone looking intently at their phone despite keeping myself well left!

• Agree 1