Do people get island fever living on an island?

13 hours ago, nobodysfriend said:

I live on an island with few inhabitants .

I built my little paradise here .

Whenever I have to go to the mainland by ferry , ( only 800 meters away ) ,

I can't wait to return .

No fever at all , but too many people on the mainland .

Like that scene in 'The Beach' where they have to hit the mainland for supplies or something.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, LALes said:

I have a similar situation now in Pattaya.  I need to get out after about 3 months

so I get on a bus and go to BKK for a few days.

About 3 days for me after hansum man calls at every turn....badgered to death.

• Haha 1

I get big province fever, so an island wouldn't work with.  Get restless too fast.

Only one I've been to that could possibly work, would be Phuket.   Unfortunately, it has too much of everything I'd need/want ... tourists & congestion.

Only been to 1 small island, Ko Phayam, and a week is more than enough.   Larger islands, Samui & Chang, and I wouldn't go back to either, for a short visit, even if free :cheesy:

I prefer the mainland, has everything, and a lot more beaches than any island.  You only know you're on an island, if on the peak of, with a 360° view.

People on Taiwan have Island Fever.

On Taiwan, island fever manifests itself in behavior such as passive aggressive behaviors, like setting the neighbor's car on fire, or using acid to destroy the paint.

Also, island fever severely warps the views of people on Taiwan, causing them to lose touch with the reality of the rest of the world.

Island fever is real.

On 7/8/2024 at 2:31 PM, susanlea said:

I hear about this island fever. Is it real? Or just small town itis?

Small town itis ... with the added hassle of leaving, if involving a ferry.  Folks on Phuket can simply drive off, though large enough and has everything.   At least Samui has an airport for quick escape.

Why I like living surfside-ish on the mainland.   Alll the advantages of 'island life', but not that one disadvantage.   Simply can't get up a go whenever you want.  Escaping revolves around Q'ing up for the ferry.

Hopefully making the fist one, and hope it's not cancelled for rough seas.

Edited by KhunLA

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/8/2024 at 2:41 AM, Sticky Rice Balls said:

*focuses attn back on the real world and reassess my life choices of logging in her daily*

living or existing on these forums??....sigh

Where would we be in this Thailand Forum w/o our proper ration of "Sticky Rice Balls"??!!??

DUDE! You're Famous! You're right up there with "Bob" and that "Gammaglobulin" guy! :wai:

Why does anyone have to use alcohol or weed? Grow up, face your problems, don’t get out on the road and kill or cripple some innocent person. Your worse hangover would be waking up in a jail cell and realizing you are guilty of this crime. Booze and Weed has ruined so many lives, I will never support its sales!

22 minutes ago, Deputy7 said:

Why does anyone have to use alcohol or weed? Grow up, face your problems, don’t get out on the road and kill or cripple some innocent person. Your worse hangover would be waking up in a jail cell and realizing you are guilty of this crime. Booze and Weed has ruined so many lives, I will never support its sales!

It's not about the use of alcohol or weed... it's about the lack of self control that the substrata demonstrate... there are plenty of us (the majority really) that can and do use alcohol and/or weed and can do so in a responsible and rather safe and beneficial manner... Because you choose to pander to the lowest common denominator and wish that there were restrictions on everything in life so you can feel good about yourself doesn't play out in the real world... it's the people not the substance... moral and ethical decay is the real culprit.