Dashcam Footage Captures Motorcycle Cutting Off Car, Resulting in Fatal Collision

webfact

5 hours ago, hotchilli said:
5 hours ago, jacko45k said:

I suspect the police have it.

Beginning to sound like a dashcam is an absolute necessity these days.

Front and back.

Unless you drive like an idiot and the videos are more likely to hang you than exonerate you...

I've met a few of those in my day, and not just in Thailand.

3 minutes ago, impulse said:

Unless you drive like an idiot and the videos are more likely to hang you than exonerate you...

I've met a few of those in my day, and not just in Thailand.

In this case, the driver's dashcam will hang her, especially when the family of the deceased watch it with their lawyer. Too bad she wasn't driving a Merc or BMW, based on the car, they will probably have to accept that they can't get blood money from a stone.

• Agree 2

6 hours ago, jacko45k said:

I suspect the police have it.

If you're just thinking about that now, I've had those in my car for over 15 years.

The idiots that are responsible for the road construction/safety should be held responsible too. A small unlit STOP sign is all I see saying I have to give way.

Biggest possible signs should be there and be illuminated.

Flashing lights too.

• Confused 1
  • Agree 1

5 minutes ago, KhunBENQ said:

The idiots that are responsible for the road construction/safety should be held responsible too. A small unlit STOP sign is all I see saying I have to give way.

Biggest possible signs should be there and be illuminated.

Flashing lights too.

I completely agree... 

A lot of the issues and incidents we see here are from a combination of many factors from poor (no) driver education, very poor road engineering (poor signage, poor layout, poor lighting), and utlimately, poor (no) law enforcement. 

This and similar accidents are wholly preventable... 

- Clear Signage

- Clear lighting

- Traffic calming measures (in this case - *speed humps at the intersection which as to give way) 

- Unwavering Police enforcement (i.e. not the apathetic lazy plod we see).

- Enforcement of Helmet Laws*

*while speed humps are not usually part of a junction, with cars speeding across the junction in such locations as this incident, there needs to be something physical to slow cars down.

*In Bangkok along the major roads I see about 80% of motorcyclists wearing a helmet, away from the major roads (Sukhumvit / Petchaburi rds) that number drops to less than about 40%.

• Agree 2

It looks like half a dozen of one and six of the other? Car was too fast, bike too fast, one of them, not sure which, should be at a 'give way' junction. No helmet = death.

When the railway road was completed there were traffic lights in all directions along it's entire length, within one month they were switched to flashing Yellow for the railway road and flashing red for the crossings which meant priority for the railway road, within another 3 months they were switched off all together!!

Many years ago, before I put cameras in my cars, a young car driver pulled out and hit the front left corner of my car. A policeman stopped to find out what happened and I could hear the kid telling the policeman in Thai, "He's a farang, make him pay."

I told the policeman, in Thai, that the boy pulled out without signalling and if you check the front of my car you can see the angle at which he hit me. The boy complained that he and his girlfriend were in a hurry to get to university for an exam.

"What subject are you taking?" asked the policeman.

"Law," said the boy.

With a lot of sangfroid, the policeman looked at him and said, "I wouldn't be in a hurry. You would have failed."

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, KhunBENQ said:

1) way of right is from the left (see traffic law)

2) the car is on the railway road. I drove there a couple of times and never seen that crossing traffic claims right of way. Crazy dangerous traffic in the daytime (if not clogged)

3) every motorbike rider with a gram of brain would not approach and try to cross this intersection with that speed

link please to that traffic rule/law

7 hours ago, jacko45k said:

I don't feel it's the beginning of needing a dash cam.    Years ago after viewing a video on this site,   I immediately went to Tuckom  and bought a dash cam.    What the video showed was a younger  Thai lady barely slowdown  at  a crossroad with a major boulevard.    Subsequently she was struck by another pickup in from of the one with the dash cam and then once more by the dash cam pick up.      The young MC driver died and the pick up driver felt he would have easily been charged had he not had his exculpatory evidence.

I think this sad even happened in KhonKaen but my memory may have failed me.

Having a dash cam was likely a good idea since the day they became available.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, jacko45k said:

A Dash-Cam has always been absolutely necessary... ever since driving began !!... 

Its only been in the last 15 years that they have been widely available, with advancements to front and rear cams, and now (or hopefully soon) widely available 360 degree cams.

I've had front and rear facing cams on both my Car and my Motorcycle for about more than 10 years now. 

But they don't offer 360 degree coverage - which is what I'll look for on my next dash-cam purchase if available. 

8 hours ago, jacko45k said:

Agree totally!

And something else to think about is not giving the memory card to the police if the investigation goes that far. A friend--who was in the right, had his card wiped after giving it to the police. Seems the other party had influence/money or both, and got to the police and made the problem--and data, go away. Just give them a copy of the video.

• Thumbs Up 1

4 hours ago, KhunBENQ said:

1) way of right is from the left (see traffic law)

Who has the right of way in Thailand?

Section 71 of the Thai traffic laws, vehicles on your left have right of way.

• Confused 1

18 minutes ago, ross163103 said:

Agree totally!

And something else to think about is not giving the memory card to the police if the investigation goes that far. A friend--who was in the right, had his card wiped after giving it to the police. Seems the other party had influence/money or both, and got to the police and made the problem--and data, go away. Just give them a copy of the video.

While I don't advocate tampering with evidence, I thought it was a good idea to practice removing the micro-SD card from the dash cam for just such a purpose.  Make it second nature instead of fumbling under pressure.  So I'd have possession of it and nothing nefarious would happen to my exculpatory evidence.  I never had the need, but it's something to think about.

And I replaced the micro-SD every 6 months or so because I figured it would eventually wear out, being recorded over every 20 hours of driving.  Something else to think about.

Mostly, I took the micro-SD card out when I wanted to figure out where I passed that interesting shop or landmark.  I'd run through the video, which was tied to GPS coordinates. Then I could find the place next time I was in the area.

38 minutes ago, ross163103 said:

Agree totally!

Most of them now allow you to download via WiFi at any time, so no need for giving them the memory card.

20 minutes ago, IvorBiggun2 said:

Well that explains why they can't use roundabouts  and why  motorcycles just dart out of a turning turning left  without looking and expect everyone to avoid crashing into them ! unfortunately the laws of physics are not on the side of this silly traffic law.....

well the interpretation of this law.

I think it only applies at an "unmarked" cross road when you are wanting to turn right  that's the only time this could make sense   or else there can be no traffic flow as everyone on main roads would have to keep stopping for vehicles entering from side roads on the left.

As Thailand is a left hand side of the road driving country  I follow the UK rule of giving way to traffic coming from the right as the top priority

but obviously mindful  at all times of traffic from the left,behind,in front,to the right and occasionally ( only in Thailand)  from above and below  😋

5 hours ago, SAFETY FIRST said:

I heard today that the CEO, Neils Colov from Pattaya People, his youngest son died riding his motorbike on the railway road yesterday. 

Youngest is Bjorn from memory... he was arrested a few years ago at a pub in Pattaya carrying a loaded 9mm pistol and failed a piss test !

6 minutes ago, Ralf001 said:

Youngest is Bjorn from memory... he was arrested a few years ago at a pub in Pattaya carrying a loaded 9mm pistol and failed a piss test !

Holy hell, a bad egg 

This is what I read.... 

Today Tuesday 9. July 2024 my youngest son Bawornpak Niels Martens Colov died in an accident.

The Wake will be Tuesday 9. July 19.00, Wednesday 10. July 19.00 and Thursday 11. July 19.00 at Chaimongkol Temple in South Pattaya. The cremation will be on Friday 12. July 12.00 noon.

วันศุกร์ 10.00 น. สวดอภิธรรม ถวายเพล และเคลื่อนสังขารขึ้นเมรุ 12.30

Edited by SAFETY FIRST

34 minutes ago, johng said:
1 hour ago, IvorBiggun2 said:

Well that explains why they can't use roundabouts  and why  motorcycles just dart out of a turning turning left  without looking and expect everyone to avoid crashing into them ! unfortunately the laws of physics are not on the side of this silly traffic law.....

well the interpretation of this law.

I think it only applies at an "unmarked" cross road when you are wanting to turn right  that's the only time this could make sense   or else there can be no traffic flow as everyone on main roads would have to keep stopping for vehicles entering from side roads on the left.

As Thailand is a left hand side of the road driving country  I follow the UK rule of giving way to traffic coming from the right as the top priority

but obviously mindful  at all times of traffic from the left,behind,in front,to the right and occasionally ( only in Thailand)  from above and below  😋

The law is often misquoted (as it was by Ivor)...  and corrected by you.. 

- The priority to the left law is only in place when unmarked roads of equal status intersect. 

- On a traffic island - give-way to left rule does not apply (give way to the right is correct).

- In the case of this example - the roads (are apparently) given priority and it would appear from those in the know that the Motorcylist had right of way.

- Anyone also knows that at such junctions - little regard is given to actual laws and regulations.

IMO - The reason Thai's struggle at traffic islands is firstly becase there are not many of them. 

Where traffic islands do exists people just follow what others are doing, and more often than not, others 'don't want to give way' as giving way is not a common traffic 'trait' at all in Thailand. 

Just watch two cars squeeze past each other at a narrow gap, taking far longer than they both would had just one of them stopped and allowed the other to pass first. 

Edited by richard_smith237

4 hours ago, JeffersLos said:

The stop sign failed. 

The stop sign is woefully inadequate, no fault of its own  the person/s responsible for road planning needs a good kick in the "goolies"

there should be no ambiguity as to who has right of way at the junctions

this road along with many others is a death trap  due to bad road layout/planing/signage.

22 minutes ago, Ralf001 said:

Like father like son?

48 minutes ago, johng said:

In the UK?

In the UK turning right you give way to the left, entering a roundabout give way to the right.

2 minutes ago, Mr Meeseeks said:
50 minutes ago, johng said:

In the UK?

In the UK turning right you give way to the left, entering a roundabout give way to the right.

Not always - thats where 'road status' comes into it.

8 minutes ago, Mr Meeseeks said:

In the UK turning right you give way to the left

Ok that's "technically" true  if I'm on a main road and wanting to turn into a side road on the right  I do have to wait for traffic coming from "my left" (which is on the right hand side of the road) to pass/clear before making my turn to the right.

At a cross road turning right I'll have to wait first for traffic on the right  and then for traffic on the left.

Roundabouts are so easy and efficient  they tried one (twice)

on Jomtien second road but it didn't last long on both occasions  due to a few accidents  now back to long wait for traffic lights 💩

16998207_1413367782041472_2642794339519197795_n.jpg.50cc80b5347ebd4227d72bdd28d6e1c7.jpg