If expat retirees in Thailand still lived in their own countries would lifestyles differ?

35 minutes ago, rickudon said:

On.a 1500 GBP total pension income, life in the UK would be tough. Rent, council tax, home insurance and monthly bills (electric, gas, water, internet etc.) Would easily use all that up, let alone running.a car and buying food.

Would be living in some substandard accomodatiom, afraid to heat it because of the bills, and living on beans on toast. Is that life?

In Thailand, save enough to enhance property every 2 years, have 2 ponds for fishing and land to grow food if i want. Only downsides are too hot most of the time and potential healthcare issues.

Oh, and a wife 20 years younger!

Haha. You obviously live in the South. No where near that in the North or if it is you must have had a well paid job

10 hours ago, Expat68 said:

Haha. You obviously live in the South. No where near that in the North or if it is you must have had a well paid job

Yes, Hampshire. but not even a posh area. In London, that buys you a room in a shared house/flat - if you are lucky.

Transportation would be very different "back home".

Here, I ride my bike most of the time to all the nearby places which I visit all the time. And sometimes I use a taxi if I go further away or need to transport anything.

Back home, riding motorcycle in the cold and rain is no fun at all. I would need a car. In Thailand I never had a car because I didn't need one.

This is definitely a big difference.

And here, I live in the middle of the city. Back home, that would be very expensive and/or undesirable. 

8 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Transportation would be very different "back home".

Here, I ride my bike most of the time to all the nearby places which I visit all the time. And sometimes I use a taxi if I go further away or need to transport anything.

Back home, riding motorcycle in the cold and rain is no fun at all. I would need a car. In Thailand I never had a car because I didn't need one.

This is definitely a big difference.

And here, I live in the middle of the city. Back home, that would be very expensive and/or undesirable. 

Weather permitting, I'd use my bicycle or MC back in USA, unless shopping.  Not much difference here/TH, except my back isn't up for long MB rides any more.  I'll even do lite shopping with the MB here, unlike USA.  Scooter have more space to carry, w/basket & foot platform.

Even have a big A$$ box that came with the scooter, and keep thinking about putting it back on the scooter, since wife is rarely riding with us (dog & myself)

image.png.e4345d1df9727329e67b754d03c9fe39.png

On 7/10/2024 at 6:15 PM, richard_smith237 said:

Yawn - another posting from a 'fictional' account..  

... whats next..  posts from Sukhumvit-Sid, Pattaya Pat, NakhonNowhereNobhead.....

I agree but my mates Pattaya Pete and Jomtien Joe don't.

On 7/11/2024 at 1:36 PM, blazes said:

Leicester, Islington, Rochdale, Rotheram, Bradford, and  many parts of Birmingham??? (to name only the  most obvious centres of riff-raff.)

What do those towns have in common do you think?