For those of you who have lived here for years?

40 minutes ago, frank83628 said:

is everyone commenting in this thread 75 or more?

12 minutes ago, Kwaibill said:

A bit shy of the 75 mark yet, but been here a few years.

I hope to be harassing my wife into my eighties.😉

If I make it that far my Thai vocabulary may extend to two hundred words.

50 minutes ago, Henryford said:

I agree, spending millions on renting long term is crazy. I bought 18 years ago and am now in effect living rent free for the next 20 years and with something of value to give the tgf. You have to choose carefully though.

You can choose with the utmost scrutiny and discernment only to be outflanked by locals. You are lucky.

I could not imagine living in the same place for three let alone thirty years. Kill me ugh.

That aside this forum is littered with posts about problem neighbors, laws, dogs, noise, condo association...

I didn't move abroad to be locked into a lifestyle that mirrored home.

Up to you.

A few years from 75,(69), but plenty of years, (23), living here.  Only thing different, 2 things;

... not married 1st Thai wife  :cheesy:

... continued renting my properties in USA, instead of liquidating

Neither would actually change much of my present life.  Just a larger smile factor, if that's even possible.

In the very unlike idea of returning (never going to happen), I'd simply buy a RV, and live a nomadic lifestyle.  With dog, kid & wife, returning isn't even a thought, while they're still kickin', or, even if they crapped out.

Might even need healthcare in later years, in which TH wins hands down... IMHO

YMMV

1 hour ago, Presnock said:

Being able to speak the local language in a non-ENGLISH speaking country to me is essential if one wants to take advantage of all that country has and to avoid upsetting the locals too much.  

Yes. And the language also helps to understand the culture.

I.e. instead of No there is "Not Yes" and things like that. After a while the idea become apparent, like, avoid confrontations. 

• Agree 1

19 hours ago, susanlea said:

Over 75s should get drunk every night and hire a bed friend. Your life is nearly over. Enjoy it.

I'm not sure about being drunk every night or the ability to have a bed friend every night, but your sentiments are correct - it's nearly OVER. Enjoy whatever you enjoy, and DO IT if it harms none - you will be dead for a long time.

51 minutes ago, ujayujay said:

Nonsense! You know it better than climate researcher?:cheesy: My life in Thailand for almost 20 years also says the opposite of what you say. Have fun in your fantasy world.:stoner:

You post is funny considering temps have only risen by 0.2 to 0.3 during the past 45 years which I posted already from people who do climate research :cheesy:

53 minutes ago, ujayujay said:

Nonsense! You know it better than climate researcher?:cheesy: My life in Thailand for almost 20 years also says the opposite of what you say. Have fun in your fantasy world.:stoner:

Fantasy world :cheesy:

"average annual temperature was about 27.6 °C in the years after 1979 and about 27.9 °C in the last years before 2023. So over the past 45 years, it has only increased by a minimal 0.2 °C"

https://www.worlddata.info/asia/thailand/climate.php

• Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, BobBKK said:

I'm not sure about being drunk every night or the ability to have a bed friend every night, but your sentiments are correct - it's nearly OVER. Enjoy whatever you enjoy, and DO IT if it harms none - you will be dead for a long time.

Well pick 2 hobbies you love and do those. Forget worrying about stuff.

• Thumbs Up 1

45 minutes ago, BobBKK said:
20 hours ago, susanlea said:

Over 75s should get drunk every night and hire a bed friend. Your life is nearly over. Enjoy it.

I agree... enjoy whatever you enjoy...  but there are surely limits to this and exceeding those limits impacts your longevity and quality of life later on...

I'm sure some may comment with an element of faux bravado that they don't want to live into their 90's - but why not if you're quality of life remains because you've looked after yourself ?

I'm sure my Son wouldn't have a grandfather by now if my father had chosen to drink every night and hire a bed friend in Pattaya..   the same can be said for his Thai grandparents..  and both grandparents take great pleasure in their grand-children - perhaps more so than those getting drunk and banging a bed friend every night, which is perhaps just filling an emptiness left by having no family around...  (although I don't expect the mongers to ever admit something like this).

2 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

I agree... enjoy whatever you enjoy...  but there are surely limits to this and exceeding those limits impacts your longevity and quality of life later on...

I'm sure some may comment with an element of faux bravado that they don't want to live into their 90's - but why not if you're quality of life remains because you've looked after yourself ?

I'm sure my Son wouldn't have a grandfather by now if my father had chosen to drink every night and hire a bed friend in Pattaya..   the same can be said for his Thai grandparents..  and both grandparents take great pleasure in their grand-children - perhaps more so than those getting drunk and banging a bed friend every night, which is perhaps just filling an emptiness left by having no family around...  (although I don't expect the mongers to ever admit something like this).

Well... some are family-minded, and some are not. I had never wanted a family and enjoyed a relaxed lifestyle with bed companions when I wanted and wine most days(a little too much, probably). Of course it is a balance - lots of water, vegetarian, good sleep etc.  But I put quality above quantity so if I live to 80 having fun or 90 and a boring lifestyle I chose the former.

28 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Can't you do both? (before you negatively comment, my wife is my bed friend)

Now you've made me think of drinking, so time for a wine cooler.

Not sure about the grandkids, I'm nearly 70 and my son is nearly 13, so I have a long wait for grandkids.

Edited by BritManToo

1 hour ago, Max_Headroom said:

That aside this forum is littered with posts about problem neighbors, laws, dogs, noise, condo association...

Zero problems in the past 10 years in a middle class Thai only moobaan, neighbours quiet, dogs not allowed, zero noise ..... although the birds are tweeting a lot this morning, and sometimes a buffalo bellows in the distance.

The only neighbour problems I ever had was when I rented in a 'farang' moobaan 13 years back, the white foreign husbands were both dodgy and the wives were both tatted up mouthy bar girls.

Edited by BritManToo
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Can't you do both? (before you negatively comment, my wife is my bed friend)

Now you've made me think of drinking, so time for a wine cooler.

Not sure about the grandkids, I'm nearly 70 and my son is nearly 13, so I have a long wait for grandkids.

Yeah.. we are all different - but one of the things I value most is that I had time with my grandparents, that I still have time with my parents, and that my son gets to spend time with his grandparents. 

Had my father been drinking every night, no... I very much doubt he'd still be here to spend time with his grandchildren.

Had my father been the 'type' to move to Thailand drink every night and rent a bed partner, I doubt the family unit would be such that there is much consideration for each other.

It does seem to me that those who have moved here 'drink and rent a bed partner' are likely to be estranged from their families in their home countries which perhaps triggered such a move in the first place. 

3 minutes ago, BritManToo said:
1 hour ago, Max_Headroom said:

Zero problems in the past 10 years, neighbours quiet, dogs not allowed, zero noise ..... although the birds are tweeting a lot this morning.

Agreed...    I've never had issues with neighbours...    there is also an element of luck with this though, that can be said of any country, but the difficulty in Thailand is selling on second-hand property.

But, if living here long term and choosing well, owning your own property (or wife owns) will save you a lot of money in the long run.

44 minutes ago, BobBKK said:

Well... some are family-minded, and some are not. I had never wanted a family and enjoyed a relaxed lifestyle with bed companions when I wanted and wine most days(a little too much, probably). Of course it is a balance - lots of water, vegetarian, good sleep etc.  But I put quality above quantity so if I live to 80 having fun or 90 and a boring lifestyle I chose the former.

I wouldn't suggest that 'getting drunk every night and renting a bed partner' is quality...   for some it might be...  but that lifestyle is very unlikely to get them to 80 years old anyway... (generalising of course)...

I don't think anyone wants to live to 90 if their quality of life is diminished beyond the ability for life to still be enjoyable - but I do wonder what enjoyment can be had to drinking and sh@gging every night - that also gets pretty boring after a while.

As you mention, balance life and enjoy it...    my comments have been in response to the 'get drunk and rent a bed partner every night' comment..   it seems to me that someone who suggests such behavior has no other options, their life is a void, no hobbies, no friends, few acquaintances outside of boozing...   

Given the content of their posts...  I can see why such posters would drink themselves to death.. 

Edited by richard_smith237
  • Agree 2

21 hours ago, Hummin said:

Everyone have something they wish they did different that someone else can learn from. Even you 

Never take anything an IO tells you as gospel, their staff change all the time and the next IO may tell you something different.

1 minute ago, NoshowJones said:

Never take anything an IO tells you as gospel, their staff change all the time and the next IO may tell you something different.

Sometimes the same IO tells me something different the next time I encounter them.

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

i talk to plenty of educated Thais, maybe try and meet those ones

of course I have, senators etc.. lovely people - - have gone on many missions of helping poor and disenfranchised ... and yet we still spoke in Thai... mostly. 

19 hours ago, steven100 said:

I would never have come here because of such ch**t**g, ly**g, c***s .......    

why would you ever live in a place where you can't even communicate is beyond me ...

Even allowing for that Thailand is still a far better place to live than the UK.

2 minutes ago, 1FinickyOne said:

obviously you would not know any of them... 

They obviously don't sound like the types I would care to mix with!

2 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Yes. And the language also helps to understand the culture.

I.e. instead of No there is "Not Yes" and things like that. After a while the idea become apparent, like, avoid confrontations. 

and no positive connotation for the word 'serious.'..

1 minute ago, NoshowJones said:

Even allowing for that Thailand is still a far better place to live than the UK.

For you maybe, I can understand that.

The UK can be a great place to live if you have the resources.................the weather and the cheap sex edges it for Thailand.

• Like 1