Are you spending more or less than you had planned before coming here?

9 hours ago, KhunLA said:

Actually didn't have a plan, before retiring to TH.   As it was a spur of the moment thought, and TBH, didn't do much research at all, if any.   Figured I'd just wing it, knowing I could simply leave when ever I wanted.

Then I started spending a bit more than I thought I would after arriving.   Now 23 years later, I actually spend less per month, than when I first arrived :cheesy:

Yes, you can live inexpensively here, though depends on a few factors.   Having a honest, savvy partner, or single and renting 'ALL' your needs.   Owning home & car takes an investment, but avoids monthly bills.

Not needing a car, cuts your monthly bill considerably.  A scooter or public trans, if available is inexpensive.

One's health is a whole another subject, along with home country's cost & accessibility.  I'm a Yank, so basically most places would be better for healthcare, financial wise.

When I first got here, monthly expenditures were about ฿15-20k.   Then up to ฿50k.  Then ฿65-100k, back to ฿30k.  Now ฿10-15k, usually on the lower end, unless O&A.

Rarely rented housing, and have owned home, MB, car most of the time here, so no monthly loan or rental payments.  Only 6 yrs out of 23 have we rented housing.  And not expensive, ฿2500 & ฿6000, both for about 3 yrs each.

If not all 'bought in', I calculated before, renting & payments, I'd need a monthly budget of about ฿70k.  Not exactly inexpensive, but much cheaper than USA.

You can exist cheaply here, but takes a bit more, whether investment to own, or renting, to actually enjoy living here.  Options abound.

Like yourself, I own everything and live on the Thai/ Lao border.  My partner has her own money so no allowance  and still spend much more.  10-15K? How much is your health insurance, car insurance, and food costs.  I spend 10k on food not including restaurants which is only about once a week.  Sorry, I don't think that is impossible unless you pay your monthly bills annually but then your monthly number in reality isn't legit.  Not calling you dishonest but I think you are missing some major expenses and I know you have a solar setup but that really is not a major money safer each month( prob save 5-10K).

Edited by atpeace

On 7/12/2024 at 5:46 PM, susanlea said:

I don't believe most of the stories I read on here. A single person could totally live on 25,000 imo if they wanted.

Sure, that is fully possible, and as Itsari post even possible at 15k baht per month. However, one does not have to be a drinkers to spend more. For myself, it goes a bit as I am found of beer. Not alcoholic in any way as I have a lot going on with work on a daily basis.

Other things that can cost, are if you like a more exclusive lifestyle. As OneMoreFarang posted, it can be good coffee, variated international food. Maybe some have a desire to go out eat a lot, as they might be bad at cooking. Shopping can take a fair amount of 1000nds per month. After that, I work totally remotely, so we like to travel on weekends, which means hotel and other things.

So, just because some of us here say that we spend 70-120k baht per month, does not mean we wish to boost as the posts almost always are posted in thread like this. In other words on-topic. We just have the means to live a little bit better, while some of us also save a lot on the side at the same time.

• Agree 1

I spend much less now than ever before minus my bike touring years in the late 1990s. My budget is 62k in rural Thailand and usually spend around 30k( all annual expenses included- divide by 12).  My partner has her own money which helps and house and car are paid for already. 

Just 5 years ago I was spending about 100k in the cities but left that life behind.  I throw my saving each month into another account and buy something big a few times a year so in the end I guess my budget is 62k.  Just bought a smart bike trainer and now race virtually in the Alps!  I force myself to splurge but even with the trainer, I have over 200k in my extra money account I will spend by end of the year on something.

• Sad 1

Some people have a monthly spending budget of 120'000 THB but it seems to be just enough with 2 people. Others live fine in a family of 3 with only 40'000. All depends on the area and one's lifestyle of course.

With the new tax rules however, the spending power is bound to dwindle for those who choose to stay on in Thailand.

Other european countries like Portugal offer top level tax incentives, low cost of housing and healthcare and food. Thailand soon will not be all that much worth the buck when the tax invasion will commence.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, atpeace said:

Like yourself, I own everything and live on the Thai/ Lao border.  My partner has her own money so no allowance  and still spend much more.  10-15K? How much is your health insurance, car insurance, and food costs.  I spend 10k on food not including restaurants which is only about once a week.  Sorry, I don't think that is impossible unless you pay your monthly bills annually but then your monthly number in reality isn't legit.  Not calling you dishonest but I think you are missing some major expenses and I know you have a solar setup but that really is not a major money safer each month( prob save 5-10K).

This will help explain it ... here

Food budget, as stated at that post, is mostly in home, and not processed.  Most whole foods, as so much healthier, and most made from scratch.  

Since the 1st of this month, did get hit ATM, (18K), but only bought 30 eggs & 5 liter of milk.  So spent <500 baht this month, and almost 2 weeks in.   Actually had an O&A planned for tomorrow, which is getting postponed due to rain.  So need to go shopping, since out of eggs.  Need my scrambled eggs for first meal.  Supposed to rain all week, down south, so will stay local, home.

Took a bit of money out of bank account, as getting close to that $10k USD mark, to avoid filing.  300k went to wife account (play & oops), and kept 40k, for O&A, and a good part of the rest of the year's budget.   Think that makes about 75k COH.

I'm amazed how little we need to spend.  Got one off coming up in Oct, car ins, but that's  <9k baht. 

Don't have health insurance.   I also followed up with this post

Edited by KhunLA

15 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

This will help explain it ... here

Food budget, as stated at that post, is mostly in home, and not processed.  Most whole foods, as so much healthier, and most made from scratch.  

Since the 1st of this month, did get hit ATM, (18K), but only bought 30 eggs & 5 liter of milk.  So spent <500 baht this month, and almost 2 weeks in.   Actually had an O&A planned for tomorrow, which is getting postponed due to rain.  So need to go shopping, since out of eggs.  Need my scrambled eggs for first meal.

Took a bit of money out of bank account, as getting close to that $10k USD mark, to avoid filing.  300k went to wife account (play & oops), and kept 40k, for O&A, and a good part of the rest of the year's budget.  

I'm amazed how little we need to spend.  Got one off coming up in Oct, car ins, but that's  <9k baht. 

Don't have health insurance.   I also followed up with this post

Think I follow you but not sure.  300k for the wife? Is that include in your budget?  9k for car insurance is about what I pay.  What about health insurance? 

That is incredible you are living off the land and skipping the processed food.  I could but too lazy to catch the fish in the pond or farm.  Lucky, my partner and I are very healthy so as of yet my massive quantities of processed foods aren't having an impact but the future is unknown.

I think a better way to look at is to look at what amount you spend in a year and divide by 12 to get your actual monthly spend.  My good friend that lives a lavish lifestyle claims he spends 65k a month.  Impossible, his annual yacht club membership and pricey health insurance alone eat up almost 65k if amortized.

Congrats on your setup!

46 minutes ago, atpeace said:

Think I follow you but not sure.  300k for the wife? Is that include in your budget?  9k for car insurance is about what I pay.  What about health insurance? 

That is incredible you are living off the land and skipping the processed food.  I could but too lazy to catch the fish in the pond or farm.  Lucky, my partner and I are very healthy so as of yet my massive quantities of processed foods aren't having an impact but the future is unknown.

I think a better way to look at is to look at what amount you spend in a year and divide by 12 to get your actual monthly spend.  My good friend that lives a lavish lifestyle claims he spends 65k a month.  Impossible, his annual yacht club membership and pricey health insurance alone eat up almost 65k if amortized.

Congrats on your setup!

300k, not budget, goes into savings account.  Our play money or an oops.  Usually don't spend it, and when that hits 1M, gets put into a new account, as banks in TH only insure up to 1M per depositor.  Don't know where we'll stick the next one, as already has a collection of passbooks.

Already stated, no heath insurance.   Your suggestion of total up for the year and divide by 12, is good.   But I guess you didn't look at the first link, as that's exactly what I did for the first 6 months of this year.  So that came up with the 15k a month number.

Not living off the land, but avoid processed foods.  Most, except our coffee shop stops.  By eating whole foods, mean we'll make our breads, though cut back a lot on wheat & grains.   Even pasta, stopped buying, and just eat egg noodles, as our pasta.   I personally rarely eat rice, and just not a fan.   Make our own kefir, or Natto and baked beans from dried bean.  That kind of stuff, instead of buying canned baked beans that are crap & silly priced.

One way to put is, people say ... 'learn how to read the labels'....well, if it has a label, it's not whole food, and I don't need to buy, as don't need to read the crap they put in it.  We do like some things, tater tots.  I'll buy puff pastry, as a pain in the butt make.   But most from scratch, and a good hobby to have.

Make our PB & jelly.  One of more expensive food items beside proteins/meats, is frozen fruit (berries), per kg that is.  Only expensive thing we eat, that's relative, is Salmon, actually had for dinner today.

Greenhouse & garden provide some things, mostly figs, but far from enough to live on.

Straying a bit off subject here, sort of, and more a healthy eating post.  But healthy eating is much less expensive than processed food.   So easy to lessen your budget, by eating healthy.  Does require a full kitchen though, and can't be done out of a small condo or 1 or 2 room rental.

Edited by KhunLA

1 minute ago, KhunLA said:

300k, not budget, goes into savings account.  Our play money or an oops.  Usually don't spend it, and when that hits 1M, gets put into a new account, as banks in TH only insure up to 1M per depositor.

Already stated, not heath insurance.   Your suggestion of total up for the year and divide by 12, is good.   But I guess you didn't look at the first link, as that's exactly what I did for the first 6 months of this year.  So that came up with the 15k a month number.

Not living off the land, but avoid processed foods.  Most, except our coffee shop stops.  By eating whole foods, mean we'll make our breads, though cut back a lot on wheat & grains.   Even pasta, stopped buying, and just eat egg noodles, as our pasta.   I personally rarely eat rice, and just not a fan.   Make our own kefir, or Natto and baked beans from dried bean.  That kind of stuff, instead of buying canned baked beans that are crap & silly priced.

One way to put is, people say ... 'learn how to read the labels'....well, if it has a label, it's not whole food, and I don't need to buy, as don't need to read the crap they put in it.  We do like some things, tater tots.  I'll buy puff pastry, as a pain in the butt make.   But most from scratch, and a good hobby to have.

Make our PB & jelly.  One of more expensive food items beside proteins/meats, is frozen fruit (berries), per kg that is.  Only expensive thing we eat, that's relative, is Salmon, actually had for dinner today.

Greenhouse & garden provide some things, mostly figs, but far from enough to live on.

Straying a bit off subject here, sort of, and more a healthy eating post.  But healthy eating is much less expensive than processed food.   So easy to lessen your budget, by eating healthy.  Does require a full kitchen though, and can't be done out of a small condo or 1 or 2 room rental.

Ice cream is 10 baht. Cheaper to live on ice cream.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, susanlea said:

Ice cream is 10 baht. Cheaper to live on ice cream.

We make our own, though not really inexpensive.  I was addicted to Swensen's, and hit them a couple times a month, 2 for 1 scoops on Tuesday :cheesy:  Card expired and we haven't renewed it.  Great bargain, if Swensen's fan.

4 Scoops only 138 baht 

image.png.af0a66d71d8430ce92cd56c28dc5c900.png

Edited by KhunLA

1 hour ago, Sigmund said:

Some people have a monthly spending budget of 120'000 THB but it seems to be just enough with 2 people. Others live fine in a family of 3 with only 40'000. All depends on the area and one's lifestyle of course.

With the new tax rules however, the spending power is bound to dwindle for those who choose to stay on in Thailand.

Other european countries like Portugal offer top level tax incentives, low cost of housing and healthcare and food. Thailand soon will not be all that much worth the buck when the tax invasion will commence.

Where in Portugal can you get low cost housing.  Food is certainly not cheaper than in Thailand.

I don't see anything particularly attractive in the tax rates either - do you have evidence to the contrary.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

We make our own, though not really inexpensive.  I was addicted to Swensen's, and hit them a couple times a month, 2 for 1 scoops on Tuesday :cheesy:  Card expired and we haven't renewed it.  Great bargain, if Swensen's fan.

4 Scoops only 138 baht 

Balanced diet. 

• Haha 1

27 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

300k, not budget, goes into savings account.  Our play money or an oops.  Usually don't spend it, and when that hits 1M, gets put into a new account, as banks in TH only insure up to 1M per depositor.  Don't know where we'll stick the next one, as already has a collection of passbooks.

Already stated, no heath insurance.   Your suggestion of total up for the year and divide by 12, is good.   But I guess you didn't look at the first link, as that's exactly what I did for the first 6 months of this year.  So that came up with the 15k a month number.

That is an interesting life!

Not for me but you are the one living it.  It would be a steep learning curve for us.  She was a city dweller and I've never even gardened nor made anything more complicated than scrambled eggs. Covid lockdowns put us in a beautiful village in rural Thailand and we are really enjoying it. Built a small house and not chasing the next dopamine high that I was always after in cities.  Still buy stupid toys but some of them I like and don't become things that I need to put in storage or give away.

Fun adventure you are having later in life.  My woman would be in tears if I attempted to make my own jelly.  

• Like 1

On 7/12/2024 at 7:29 AM, georgegeorgia said:

Well probably another 10 years left or less....so you enjoy your money and stop being stingy ,you can't take it with you 

Exactly my thought!

I don’t understand these old geezers that still want to save , with only a couple years left.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Northstar1 said:

Exactly my thought!

I don’t understand these old geezers that still want to save , with only a couple years left.

Some people are good at saving while some are good at spending. Ironically very rare to meet a man good at both.

1 minute ago, sidjameson said:

Some people are good at saving while some are good at spending. Ironically very rare to meet a man good at both.

Good at investing in my wife? 

14 hours ago, Ben Zioner said:

This a constant debate. When someone says 25k is enough I just don't believe it

I can easily do 25k a month, not inculding hobbies though.

• Agree 1

8 hours ago, atpeace said:

That is an interesting life!

Not for me but you are the one living it.  It would be a steep learning curve for us.  She was a city dweller and I've never even gardened nor made anything more complicated than scrambled eggs. Covid lockdowns put us in a beautiful village in rural Thailand and we are really enjoying it. Built a small house and not chasing the next dopamine high that I was always after in cities.  Still buy stupid toys but some of them I like and don't become things that I need to put in storage or give away.

Fun adventure you are having later in life.  My woman would be in tears if I attempted to make my own jelly.  

Always enjoyed cooking for myself, along with dining out.   A year ago, budget was about 30k a month.   Past year, we really transitioned to almost all whole foods.

If we had more, better restaurants, w/AC, we'd probably eat out more.  Not much of  a selection here, and we do a much better job in house.

The wife is the gardener, even built the greenhouse, and now we actually get to eat most of what she grows, instead of the  squirrels & birds.

I ran out of toys to buy, and more saving is just a result of, can't think of anything I need or want to buy.  I think I need a new hobby, as taken a photo of everything I can think of.   Don't build or fly the drones much or use the RC toys (cars & boats) much any more.

• Like 1

On 7/12/2024 at 5:46 PM, susanlea said:

I don't believe most of the stories I read on here. A single person could totally live on 25,000 imo if they wanted.

Yes it's easy to exist on 25k a month but most people want a nice time in retirement so it's restaurants, holidays, girls, bikes, electronic stuff so i would say you need at least 80k a month.

• Agree 1

16 minutes ago, Henryford said:

Yes it's easy to exist on 25k a month but most people want a nice time in retirement so it's restaurants, holidays, girls, bikes, electronic stuff so i would say you need at least 80k a month.

Have you been to Thailand?

• Sad 1
  • Love It 1

11 hours ago, atpeace said:

The new tax rules?  There is another thread to discuss this topic.  I go there to get a good laugh at people pissing themselves and in the end don't have a clue what new taxes will be implemented.  Check it out!

I agree , there are no new tax rules , just a threat of enforcement of the present rules.

• Agree 2

11 hours ago, KhunLA said:

4 Scoops only 138 baht 

Almost $1 a scoop. That's not really cheap.

8 minutes ago, JimTripper said:

Almost $1 a scoop. That's not really cheap.

2 for 1 beats 69 baht per scoop.   Swensen's is a cut above others, (Walls, Nestle, DQ or 7-11) without going silly priced (Buds, Ben & Jerry or Häagen-Dazs). 

Cans of local crap beer, or a scoops on Tues ... :coffee1:

Edited by KhunLA

5 hours ago, Henryford said:

Many spend much more than 80k and are miserable and loads of 25k spenders that are grumpy losers.  It's the person's character that is the main factor.  With the right frame of mind you can be living the dream on 25k while others are trying to buy the next item or whatever that will make everything peachy without realizing they are living a turd of an existence.

Edited by atpeace
  • Agree 1

On 7/13/2024 at 9:17 AM, topt said:

Not if they play golf regularly - or engage in some other sports.

You are so right there on the cost of golf yet it's not a desire or a necessity to play golf and personally I find no satisfaction in the game .

Sitting on a boat does nothing for me either.

Best sport for me is take a ride out on the motorcycle or a ride on the bike 

• Agree 1