Motorcycle taxi drivers brutally beating tourist caught on video

webfact

I have been coming to Thailand since 2000 and live here now.

I have had various disagreements with Thai people but never let them escalate to anything even approaching violence.

I have been very angry on several occasions but I realized that it was not worth 

getting into an altercation with some lowlife I would never see again. Held my tongue and went about my business, which has often been monkey business.

With all the diversions available in Thailand why would I take time out of my life to argue with some nobody because of the "principle of the thing"?

I'm guessing most posters on here have had a similar experience, even those who are condemning the shocking violence.

But some people will find a beating no matter where they go.

• Thumbs Up 1

Cast your minds back when Phuket and other resorts were reopened after Covid. What was the first statement coming out of the PM'S Mouth. Please treat tourists with respect and stop scamming tourists it tarnishes Thailand's image. Did they listen ???

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Aussie999 said:

"Seems like" means an impression... seems you misunderstood and simply go looking for trouble, that isn't any of your business. 

So, little Aussie. Sorry to break it to you, but this is a public forum for registered members. So, basically everything that is posted here is my business.

Just sad to read you didn´t grasp that. Anything else I can help you with?

On 7/16/2024 at 1:10 PM, NoshowJones said:

Has anyone ever been overcharged by a motorbike taxi. Please tell us of the outcome.

Not motorbike but tuktuk.

Tuktuk driver said "up to you" to take me to MBK, wait for me and come back.

I was only in MBK about 15 minutes, the whole round trip took less than an hour.

I went to give him 300 or 400 baht (can't remember), he said no, I want 600.

I said you said "up to you" if you had said 600 I would have said no".

He wouldn't budge, I paid the 600, end of story.

Some of you guys no doubt would have done your Rambo thing with the guy cuz of the principal of the thing. I got overcharged terribly and I got over it.

Much better than getting beaten into unconsciousness.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, cdemundo said:

Not motorbike but tuktuk.

Tuktuk driver said "up to you" to take me to MBK, wait for me and come back.

I was only in MBK about 15 minutes, the whole round trip took less than an hour.

I went to give him 300 or 400 baht (can't remember), he said no, I want 600.

I said you said "up to you" if you had said 600 I would have said no".

He wouldn't budge, I paid the 600, end of story.

Some of you guys no doubt would have done your Rambo thing with the guy cuz of the principal of the thing. I got overcharged terribly and I got over it.

Much better than getting beaten into unconsciousness.

If it was me I would not have accepted the "up to you" I would just have asked him nicely what the fare is, but if you said "wait 15 mins for me" and you took say 25 he would be entitled to a bit extra, you can do the approximate figure in your head and give him it plus a tip.

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, Gottfrid said:

So, little Aussie. Sorry to break it to you, but this is a public forum for registered members. So, basically everything that is posted here is my business.

Oh! Godfried is hovering under the ceiling again...
Hopefully, it's not in the basement.

10 hours ago, NoshowJones said:

If it was me I would not have accepted the "up to you" I would just have asked him nicely what the fare is, but if you said "wait 15 mins for me" and you took say 25 he would be entitled to a bit extra, you can do the approximate figure in your head and give him it plus a tip.

Only idiots rely on the "service" of them anyway!
Giving their body into the hands of any guy with a motorbike, hanging around on the street the whole day.
They might know about the "best", and "cheapest" ping-pong-ball-shows...
in the streets on the next block.

Besides, using their "service" isn't "entitling" them to overcharge, or scam you. Period.

If I'm forced to pay an overcharged sum because I want to get out of a threatening (blackmailing?) situation,

I still don't see any justification for initiating a scam or violence.
There is nothing about "culture", or "respect" involved.
I don't respect thugs, and scammers in any country. And here, I don't give a xxxx for fake "smiles".
If they gang-beat someone up (this is also "culture" in the TiT "High Class" low-life sanctuaries),
there is no reason to blame the harmed victims.
By "Streetsmart" (Lol) Farang "wannabe Thai" apologists, who are playing the incidents down,
by asking what might have been said.
And exactly the "violence", and nothing else, is the subject here!

Edited by Maitdjai
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

46 minutes ago, Maitdjai said:

Oh! Godfried is hovering under the ceiling again...
Hopefully, it's not in the basement.

If I am in the basement, you must have gone blind as that is your territory. Sorry to disappoint you, but no visitors today either.

17 minutes ago, Gottfrid said:

If I am in the basement, you must have gone blind as that is your territory. Sorry to disappoint you, but no visitors today either.

It's not about the basement. I don't know about your visitors either.
It's about the "hovering" height!
Do you get it now?

18 hours ago, Gottfrid said:

Well, all I can say it.... have fun.

10 hours ago, Maitdjai said:

It's not about the basement. I don't know about your visitors either.
It's about the "hovering" height!
Do you get it now?

No, not at all. Please continue explain, as you seem to like that. 😉 

On the other hand, it´s not much value in it. Something you probably already know.

On 7/18/2024 at 9:30 PM, Gottfrid said:

No, not at all. Please continue explain, as you seem to like that. 😉 

On the other hand, it´s not much value in it. Something you probably already know.

Correct.

On 7/15/2024 at 4:05 PM, OneMoreFarang said:

I parked often enough in areas with motorcycle bikes for a few minutes, after I asked them if that is ok.

Sometimes they are ok with a few minutes parking, sometimes not.

And if they say no, then that is a no for me. I don't argue about it with them. 

Agree 100% with this, however as the news reported in the end it was as I said; the Kuwaiti Guy made mistake of parking in this area after being told, Can Not. If he had applied your advice then he would av moved on with no issue.

Knowing this area as I do, I knew why he got beaten up.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1