14-Year-Old Motorcyclist Strikes and Kills Homeless Man Sitting by a Pattaya Roadside

webfact

12 hours ago, DeeMakMak said:

True for majority of southern drivers/people here. And nobody can change this. Only electronics(radars, computers) in the future maybe.
Come on, nothing has changed in this regard for decades.
So I try don’t take it to my heart, and I don’t advise you to do it, it’s their choice to live like that - short life, but without stress(like a mayfly). But I recommend that you keep your attention doubly here, to preserve your own life.

What's the 'southern drivers' got to do with it. They are just as crazy up here in Central & North.

20 hours ago, MalcolmB said:

A lot of blaming the innocent victims on this thread.

The homeless idiot was on the road in the dark. It could have been any of us that hit him.

Kids are fine on motorcycles in Thailand, many use them to get to school etc.

They are little more than a motorized push bike. 

I hope the girls make a speedy recovery.

a motorized push bike capable of 118kph, what rubbish, do you let your fingers type without any brain input

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

10 hours ago, LennyW said:

That is the issue, Mom & Pop wake up early to go and earn a Thai wage leaving the kids to drive alone, 100 baht a day from a menial Thai wage would be a massive chunk of their daily income, this is why the police even at school gates ignore the infraction, they understand the background.

Well technically speaking the kids are meant to go to school withing a small proximity of the house, so as another poster said walk of you cannot afford it or sell the bike and get a bicycle

They all seem to be able to afford those.

If the kid doing it without knowledge then chain the wheels.

19 hours ago, Will B Good said:

Same in Isaan.....cars as well, frequently have no lights front or rear. Some on bikes might  tie a torch on the front or wear a head torch.

In our village theres one old guy who ties a fluorescent plastic bottle front and back.

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, steve187 said:

a motorized push bike capable of 118kph, what rubbish, do you let your fingers type without any brain input

I doubt they were going that fast.

• Confused 4
  • Sad 1

19 hours ago, 2008bangkok said:

One thing they could also do is to stop anybody who doesn't have a license from driving into school and as a fair few use a bike to get to school.

Even the parents who pick them up don't have a license, wear a helmet , or have the bike registered 4 kids on a bike, (I do understand that is the only transport they have). Local police do nothing and just don't care.

19 hours ago, MalcolmB said:

streetlights were not working, and that they did not see the victim sitting on the road until it was too late.

looks like she is conscious in the photo, probably her helmet saved her.

IMG_2594.jpeg

Is she STILL looking at her phone ? 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

20 hours ago, Ralf001 said:

My 8th birthday, my parents bought me a brand new suzuki RM-80.

What the issue ?

Then, as now, irresponsible, non caring parents who haven't a clue. There are reasons why children aren't legally allowed to drive motorbikes. Immaturity, inability to react to dangerous situations like an older driver can. inability to understand consequences of speeding and driving near other motor vehicles also going fast and maybe weighing 2 tons more.

7 minutes ago, fredwiggy said:

Then, as now, irresponsible, non caring parents who haven't a clue. There are reasons why children aren't legally allowed to drive motorbikes. Immaturity, inability to react to dangerous situations like an older driver can. inability to understand consequences of speeding and driving near other motor vehicles also going fast and maybe weighing 2 tons more.

He's talking about an off-road dirt bike, not a road bike. But I do see people driving dirtbikes here on the road, obviously without a license plate, since they aren't legal for road use.

13 minutes ago, lordgrinz said:

He's talking about an off-road dirt bike, not a road bike. But I do see people driving dirtbikes here on the road, obviously without a license plate, since they aren't legal for road use.

I know what it is, and it's still too dangerous for an 8 year old.

Edited by fredwiggy

1 minute ago, lordgrinz said:

I guess I grew in a different generation than you did.

I'm 67 so I don't know. I'm just sick of seeing young children die on the roads, especially here a daily occurrence, because parents let them. There are alternatives to teaching a child how to handle a motorcycle progressively. An 80 cc isn't a slow bike and things can go wrong fast with an 8 year old.

11 minutes ago, fredwiggy said:

I'm 67 so I don't know. I'm just sick of seeing young children die on the roads, especially here a daily occurrence, because parents let them. There are alternatives to teaching a child how to handle a motorcycle progressively. An 80 cc isn't a slow bike and things can go wrong fast with an 8 year old.

Agree.

As I drive around and see the totally ridiculous behaviour on the roads I just mutter to the wife........I Thai, I want to die.

I refuse to allow her relatives in the car now as they will not wear safety belts...????

4 minutes ago, Will B Good said:

Agree.

As I drive around and see the totally ridiculous behaviour on the roads I just mutter to the wife........I Thai, I want to die.

I refuse to allow her relatives in the car now as they will not wear safety belts...????

My car doesn't move until everyone has their seatbelt on, its a requirement in my car, no exceptions. My wife and daughter know the drill, and pretty much embrace the safety aspect, so not much of an issue in our household.

• Thumbs Up 1

5 minutes ago, lordgrinz said:

My car doesn't move until everyone has their seatbelt on, its a requirement in my car, no exceptions. My wife and daughter know the drill, and pretty much embrace the safety aspect, so not much of an issue in our household.

My relatives are true 'village' folk.....they have amulets that work (until they don't)...so need for lights, helmets, safety belts...555

23 hours ago, MalcolmB said:

A lot of blaming the innocent victims on this thread.

The homeless idiot was on the road in the dark. It could have been any of us that hit him.

Kids are fine on motorcycles in Thailand, many use them to get to school etc.

They are little more than a motorized push bike. 

I hope the girls make a speedy recovery.

Are you serious?? Get over to one of bob's topics, that should suit you.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, fredwiggy said:

Ralf is a survivor.

probabaly a 70-80s kid.

we were a lot tougher than the phone addicted, mentally weak western snowflakes of today.

Much like the Thais of today.

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, Will B Good said:

Agree.

and how would you feel if you were involved in a crash and the car was on fire and they were trapped by their safety belt, or the car was in the water after going off the pier.

Of course it can't happen can it?

• Confused 2

9 minutes ago, NoshowJones said:

and how would you feel if you were involved in a crash and the car was on fire and they were trapped by their safety belt, or the car was in the water after going off the pier.

Of course it can't happen can it?

Yes, it does happen but there is a much better chance of worse injury or death without wearing a seat belt. Staying in the car is one reason should the car roll over a time or two. If a car goes off a pier and you aren't wearing a belt, you could be thrown into the interior and knocked out, which would ensure drowning.

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, fredwiggy said:

Farmlife, Dad tought me how to drive the tractor at age 6.

bike came at 8 and by 10 My legs were long enough to push the clutch in on Dads off road buggy so started driving that too.

Damn my irresposible parents !

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, fredwiggy said:

Saw a dead un on the way to work this morn... looks like she went under the truck on her own accord.

Suk road just before exit to motorway on ramp... 6am.

80cc was awesome... lost a lot of skin when that two stroke got up on the pipe !

• Thumbs Up 1

Just now, Ralf001 said:

Farmlife, Dad tought me how to drive the tractor at age 6.

bike came at 8 and by 10 My legs were long enough to push the clutch in on Dads off road buggy so started driving that too.

Damn my irresposible parents !

That's good in your case, but it happens here daily that children are allowed to drive motor vehicles, and daily kids die because they can't avoid a dangerous situation from a lack of road knowledge and skills. Teaching a child while young isn't a bad idea, but not on the roads others use. A farm is quite different. Children still die every year on 4 wheelers that roll over on them.

7 minutes ago, fredwiggy said:

Yes, it does happen but there is a much better chance of worse injury or death without wearing a seat belt. Staying in the car is one reason should the car roll over a time or two. If a car goes off a pier and you aren't wearing a belt, you could be thrown into the interior and knocked out, which would ensure drowning.

I agree with you, but if there was an incident, and there have been, where someone was killed  because he/she was wearing a seat belt, you can bet that it would not be reported in the news or the press. I can only remember one such incident which was reported in my whole lifetime.

• Confused 1