Thailand Leaves Out Certain Groups from Digital Wallet Project

snoop1130

3 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

However, Deputy Finance Minister, Chulaphan Amornvivat, announced at a Government House meeting that two unidentified groups would be ineligible for the project.

Prisoners? And? Monks maybe. 

Edited by Caldera

Maybe this:

• "The ruling Pheu Thai party had initially suggested digital wallet payments for all Thais 16 and older, but later this was limited to only lower-income Thais, defined as people with yearly incomes not exceeding 840,000 baht (about $23,000) and savings in financial institutions not totaling more than 500,000 baht ($13,700)."

"Thailand is set to roll out a controversial $13.8 billion handout plan in digital money to citizens," July 15, 2024

https://apnews.com/

14 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

Chulaphan also clarified that the Digital Government Development Agency has been developing the platform, and will then pass the responsibility to the outsourcing team

... and the outsourcing team will pass responsibility to someone else after they filled their pockets ...

• Agree 1

Ah, let the carnage begin. As we all know there is no such thing as free money. The people will pay dearly for the brief moment of happiness they get when they spend their 500baht. The men will be getting their bottle of whiskey and smokes, the women a black eye or two, and some bruised ribs. The children, sleepless nights.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Foxx said:

They won't.  It's only for Thai nationals.

It's rather ridiculous if, as Pheu Thai claims, the handout is to boost the economy.  10,000 baht spent by a Khmer peasant or unregistered hill tribe person would stimulate the economy every bit as much as the same money spent by a Thai person.  For that matter, so would 10,000 baht spent by an expat.  I'm beginning to suspect that the real purpose wasn't to boost the economy.  But surely politicians wouldn't lie about such a thing.

Exactly.....I want my 10,000 baht......If I spent my 10,000 in GoGo bars I guarantee there would be a lot of stimulating going on.. 

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Foxx said:

They won't.  It's only for Thai nationals.

It's rather ridiculous if, as Pheu Thai claims, the handout is to boost the economy.  10,000 baht spent by a Khmer peasant or unregistered hill tribe person would stimulate the economy every bit as much as the same money spent by a Thai person.  For that matter, so would 10,000 baht spent by an expat.  I'm beginning to suspect that the real purpose wasn't to boost the economy.  But surely politicians wouldn't lie about such a thing.

There are plenty of citizens who are Thai nationals but identify as Khmer and speak as their first language one of many Khmer dialects.

I have them in my family.

As well as others who speak the Lao dialect.

Thailand is full of ethnic groups whose culture and language isn't central Thai orientated but are Thai nationals.

• Agree 1

19 hours ago, retarius said:

Is this a sneaky way of saying that the financial management of the project will cast almost as much as the project itself? Who is doing the "financial management"?

That will be the Shinawatra family management fee.

• Haha 1

20 hours ago, retarius said:

Gobbledegook. What is financial management?

Is this a sneaky way of saying that the financial management of the project will cast almost as much as the project itself? Who is doing the "financial management"?

Who are the two unidentified groups? 

20 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

Individuals or businesses previously in violation of state project terms or involved in reimbursement litigation will not be eligible for the scheme.

21 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

For 2024, an additional budget of 122 billion baht will be proposed to the House of Representatives, along with 43 billion baht from financial and budget management. For the 2025 budget, they will allocate 152 billion baht, plus an additional 132 billion baht for financial management.

Financial Management My Foot I call that thieving Corruption for the Greedy deep pocket thieves. 

Amornvivat, announced at a Government House meeting that two unidentified groups would be ineligible for the project.

This sounds Fishy ,they are looking  how they can stop some people from getting this money and how much they can put in their own pockets.

Maybe they are looking at people who are not registered and the ones that don't pay Tax .

That would be  Most day workers in the building industry/farms /all the Food/clothes Vendors/Markets . 

They can save Billions if they look for that.

Edited by digger70

On 7/15/2024 at 6:08 PM, Kerryd said:

This sounds like a scam ripe for plucking.

Hundreds of billions of baht into "digital wallets" for select citizens to spend however they want (except maybe not for firearms wink wink, nudge nudge).

Number of hours before people claim they were scammed out of the money ?
Number of days before someone discovers that "people" connected to other "people" have registered hundreds of times.

Someone has to pay for all that. Hmmm, I wonder who........

Farangs, through the updated RD tax compliance laws for foreign residents of stay greater than 180 days. 5555