Who you really are as a person

8 minutes ago, Prubangboy said:

Not a diss, but that sounds like co-dependency. 

It wrecked my life, so have a Goggle.

you're right. but i still very much enjoy being with my wife. so that part helps. 

The only reason I'm living in Thailand is because I have to get re-established back in the states with my daughter and that takes time. My wife always came first until she proved unworthy,and my kids always came first when I was alone until they can take care of themselves. I still take care of myself well, because it's the only way you can take care of others.

4 hours ago, save the frogs said:

how sane are you on a scale of 1 to 10?

people get their cholesterol levels checked, but there's no way to check how sane you are. 

Of all the gifts god did na gie us

to see ourselves as others see us.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Most people who need counseling don't realize that they could benefit from counseling.

I attended psychological group therapy for a couple of years in my 20th. Did I really need it? I don't know, probably not. Did I learn from it? Yes, a lot. 

What did you learn?

• Like 1

5 hours ago, save the frogs said:

how sane are you on a scale of 1 to 10?

people get their cholesterol levels checked, but there's no way to check how sane you are. 

MMPI-2

10 minutes ago, susanlea said:

What did you learn?

I learned how my childhood influenced my actions long after I was a child. And in many ways that wasn't obvious.

And I learned that our childhood influences what we do (a lot) and it's up to us if we just see this as a reason that we are how we are. Or we decide to change our life and don't use our childhood as an excuse for how we are. We can change - if we want to do that.

Another important lesson I learned was about other people. In group therapy there are maybe 5 to 10 people together for maybe 2 hours, once a week. And everybody hears the stories of other people, and the questions from the psychotherapist. So, after a while, we understand the people around us much better.

It's long ago and I don't remember many details. But I remember that when I started, I thought about some of the others in a way like: I don't like this person, or that person in strange, etc.

After hearing their stories for many months, I understood more where they come from and why they are the way they are. And that helped me to be careful with judging other people (now). For most of us there are good reasons why we are how we are. That doesn't mean I like everybody who is different or strange. But maybe I accept that he is the way he is for good reason.

Another question I remember that "patients" often ask: Is that normal behavior. Like, do I behave like a normal person?

And the answer from the psychotherapist was normally something like: It's normal for YOU. Like, with your past and your life until now, your reaction is normal. For someone who lived another live, it might not be normal. But don't try to be normal only because other people have different expectations. 

5 hours ago, stoner said:

i'm not that bright. 

I thought it was put on your oxygen mask before helping others

As you could be flying over land and the life jacket wont be of much use!

😂😁🤔🐘

I have learned by thinking positive, the world gets easier to overcome, and goals easier to reach. What I want to happen happens if I want it to happen.

Being realistic and push your push your limits, but most importantly, know your limits. 

Be patient

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

I learned how my childhood influenced my actions long after I was a child. And in many ways that wasn't obvious.

And I learned that our childhood influences what we do (a lot) and it's up to us if we just see this as a reason that we are how we are. Or we decide to change our life and don't use our childhood as an excuse for how we are. We can change - if we want to do that.

Another important lesson I learned was about other people. In group therapy there are maybe 5 to 10 people together for maybe 2 hours, once a week. And everybody hears the stories of other people, and the questions from the psychotherapist. So, after a while, we understand the people around us much better.

It's long ago and I don't remember many details. But I remember that when I started, I thought about some of the others in a way like: I don't like this person, or that person in strange, etc.

After hearing their stories for many months, I understood more where they come from and why they are the way they are. And that helped me to be careful with judging other people (now). For most of us there are good reasons why we are how we are. That doesn't mean I like everybody who is different or strange. But maybe I accept that he is the way he is for good reason.

Another question I remember that "patients" often ask: Is that normal behavior. Like, do I behave like a normal person?

And the answer from the psychotherapist was normally something like: It's normal for YOU. Like, with your past and your life until now, your reaction is normal. For someone who lived another live, it might not be normal. But don't try to be normal only because other people have different expectations. 

Good points. We are shaped by childhood. Others may seem horrible on surface but underneath are ok. 

4 hours ago, BritManToo said:

This was a mistake I also made. But luckily my Brit wife taught me (during divorce) only to care about me ...... me me me me me.

Nobody else matters!

A few years back someone told me 'you're not a good person', my reply was I never claimed to be anything but bad.

im just 47 now. 2nd half of life i should just f everybody. 

• Thumbs Up 1