60-day visa exemptions are now unlimited at land borders

6 minutes ago, Toby1947 said:

You'll still need an onward ticket to show airline before being allowed to board. Showing your intention of leaving Thailand within 60 days 

...we all know how easy that is to circumvent! 

kids stuff.

bob.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

39 minutes ago, bob smith said:

it was like that for a longggggggg time.

I remember when I first arrived you had guys that had been living here for 20/30 years on T visa exemptions and border bounces. It was only in the mid 2010's that they started tightening the screws with this whole good guys in, bad guys out nonsense.

long may the free-for-all continue imo.

bob.

True.... 

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Hakuna Matata said:

This is too good to be true! Thailand has become a safe heaven for criminals and fugitives from all over the world. They will be very happy about this new rule. It will attract even more criminals to Thailand. Are they crazy?

Thailand has always been a haven for criminals and fugitives.

it's just a matter of degree..

(do they want more or less)...?

bob.

Edited by bob smith
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Tod Daniels said:

Okay people listen up.

This isn't about flying in, and you can/will get grilled if you're milking free stamp to live here.

This is about the fact that the prettiest rule, exacted Jan 1, 2017 that limited visa exempt entries by land to 2 in a calendar year does not apply to this new 60 day Visa exempt entry program.

There is no longer a limit of 2 visa exempt entries by land

…..until they change it back.

Personally I wouldn’t rely on this. Take advantage of it while it lasts, but don’t rely on it would be my advice. FWIW 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

3 minutes ago, CM Dad said:

How long will this last before it is curtailed or changed in some way?  I will stick to my yearly Non-O stamps.  I do wish that the government would focus more on those of us who have Thai families and have lived here for many years making substantial and continuing financial contributions to the country instead of temporary "tourists" who have no lasting commitment to Thailand and spend far less money.

I wouldn't hold your breath for that mate!

bob.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, bob smith said:

it was like that for a longggggggg time.

I remember when I first arrived you had guys that had been living here for 20/30 years on T visa exemptions and border bounces. It was only in the mid 2010's that they started tightening the screws with this whole good guys in, bad guys out nonsense.

long may the free-for-all continue imo.

bob.

I remember the days you could get a friend to go down to Malaysia and do it for you

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

57 minutes ago, Stekmer said:

I received an update from the Austrlian Govt SmartTraveller service today that states that the 60 days visa exemption for Australian passport holders (plus 92 other countries) started on 15/7/24 and that it applies for 2 entries only in a calendar year.

The same (60 days exemption - max 2 per calendar year) is also stated on the Royal Thai Embassy website.

Has no-one read the above? Surely this takes the edge off all the euphoria being expressed. UK gov site desn't mention it, neither does Thai MFA official site which has only this:

image.thumb.jpeg.3e962f8a1748518a12c15a4b2717f366.jpeg

so at present you may, or may not, be allowed more than two. As a couple of people have said, holding your breath would not be appropriate just yet. Apart from the obvious, why limit ONLY Aussies to 2 entries?

12 minutes ago, wensiensheng said:

…..until they change it back.

As I recall, unlimited is the way it was for decades, and the limit of 2 crossings a year is the anomaly, only lasting a few years.

I'm not foolish enough to predict their next move, but this one may last.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, impulse said:

....barring another military coup I think you may be right!

bob.

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, isaanistical said:

Has no-one read the above? Surely this takes the edge off all the euphoria being expressed. UK gov site desn't mention it, neither does Thai MFA official site which has only this:

Sadly, many "Official" websites are not a reliable source of correct and current information.  Some are out of date even when they're posted (not to be corrected for months, if ever), and others are just plain wrong.

Edited by impulse
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Skeptic7 said:

Yeah...and we all know all the land borders will be on this same page. NOT:clap2:

doesn't matter.

the 'friendlier' border corssings will soon make their way on to AN for us all to have a gander at!

😄 

bob.

Edited by bob smith
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, impulse said:

They also seem to be recognizing that the 2 land crossing limit is costing Thailand a lot of sweaty tourist money.

Thailand was the base from which you explored other countries. Four countries border Thailand but only land two entries.................

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, impulse said:

As I recall, unlimited is the way it was for decades, and the limit of 2 crossings a year is the anomaly, only lasting a few years.

They thought they were protecting the perimeter of an army base.

2 hours ago, Jack1988 said:

If it's really true that now is possible to do unlimited border run then there is no need that I go to Vientiane to apply for another tourist visa 

Right...IF being the key word. Good luck with that. Just wait until the posts start rolling in of refusals of entry at land borders after 2nd entry. 🤣 🍿 

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Shmo said:

I’m only 2 years connected to Thailand and read and watched a lot about visas in that time. He’s helped me a lot and didn’t even know it! 

Tod has been keeping track of visa information for many of the offices in the country and keeping up to date from boots on the ground reports back to him about papers and procedures. 

Frankly I think he is possibly more knowledgeable about the immigration process at many offices in the country than some the immigration people  that work there! 
If there is such a label as “Thai immigration expert”, he surely is the hallmark of it, and he’s not charging you! 

My deepest respect, Tod.
Thank you, you have saved me hours because you post important information. 

You are a newbie here, there are many offices that the "Expert" knows nothing about. 

A few years ago they wanted to stop people making repeated trips on tourist or transit visas, whom they claimed were probably working illegally.  Now they can't get enough of them and will even let them work without WP.  

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, CM Dad said:

How long will this last before it is curtailed or changed in some way?  I will stick to my yearly Non-O stamps.  I do wish that the government would focus more on those of us who have Thai families and have lived here for many years making substantial and continuing financial contributions to the country instead of temporary "tourists" who have no lasting commitment to Thailand and spend far less money.

Oh, they've focused on y'all.  They changed the remittance rules to increase the likelihood of you owing tax and increasing your financial contributions.

This visa change will let more wandering princes inadvertently obtain Thai tax residency.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1