60-day visa exemptions are now unlimited at land borders

2 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

I'm tried of suggesting that will not be the case, yet you banging the same message.

One last time: visa exempt entry via air is already unlimited.

However folk using a few/many back to back are being scrutinized and on occasion even refused entry.

This was widespread in particular in 2019 just prior to covid.

The same thing will most likely occur with land borders. 

Also there is nothing to suggest this increase to 60 days will be permanent.

But, let's think positive that it will........:guitar:.............🤗

• Thumbs Up 1

8 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Also there is nothing to suggest this increase to 60 days will be permanent.

You went and ruined a good factual post by yet again banging on about your unfounded opinion that 60 days visa exempt won't last. Sort of downgrades the rest of your post to just your opinion (rather than the facts it actually states)

Edited by Pattaya57
  • Thumbs Up 1

4 minutes ago, Pattaya57 said:

You Went and ruined a good factual post by yet again banging on about your unfounded opionion that 60 day visa exempt won't last 

In my opinion there is nothing to suggest that it's permanent change.

If in fact it was then there would need to be changes to SETV as it offers very little over a 60 day visa exempt entry.

My "banging on" is in the main directed at few posts suggesting scrap their annual extensions and do border bounces. 

That would be foolish. 

For Thai flip flop we only need to look as far as current threads/news re "weed"

• Agree 2

1 minute ago, DrJack54 said:

In my opinion there is nothing to suggest that it's permanent change.

If in fact it was then there would need to be changes to SETV as it offers very little over a 60 day visa exempt entry.

My "banging on" is in the main directed at few posts suggesting scrap their annual extensions and do border bounces. 

That would be foolish. 

For Thai flip flop we only need to look as far as current threads/news re "weed"

Can't folk revert back to a visa with extensions etc if things change......?

• Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, transam said:

Can't folk revert back to a visa with extensions etc if things change......?

Yes they can and it's not that difficult.

The bank account in place it would just require a visa exempt entry and obtain "new" non O at immigration and subsequent 12 month extension. 

I'm just suggesting folk need to curb their enthusiasm and see how things pan out. 

• Agree 1

3 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Yes they can and it's not that difficult.

The bank account in place it would just require a visa exempt entry and obtain "new" non O at immigration and subsequent 12 month extension. 

I'm just suggesting folk need to curb their enthusiasm and see how things pan out. 

That was my point, folk can do what they like the way things are at the mo, there will be no problem reverting back........:thumbsup:

• Agree 1

19 hours ago, Bvor said:

Unless i'm mistaken, the MFA video interview posted by george indicates the new 60 day VE is intended to be permanent and for unlimited entries (land and air) but subject to the usual IO discretionary final decision. 

I agree with you, have heard all interview. You forgot to mention, you MUST be out of Thailand for one day, to stay for one day in another country.

After that day you can come back in Thailand on approval of officer. He is the one deciding at that time and could ask like for a flight out or if you have 20000 baht in pocket. No clue if he could ask for more. Maybe 1000 baht for his pocket?

The one day out is explicitly said in interview, but on a passing on the 60-iest day.  As he said you would be then in Thailand for 61 days.

I didnt really get that. So not if you are on 59th day? Then you can come back right away? And then what about if you did a extension for 30 days with immigration? Or is the rule, just one day out any time?

But then it is a tourist visa, so all other things like tax, health insurance and so on are gone. You stay years in Thailand with only 4 times border crossings, if you are willing to pay 1900 baht for extension every time, 4 times. Otherwise 6 time border crossings, but think first method saves you, at least 2 long trips.

23 minutes ago, transam said:

That was my point, folk can do what they like the way things are at the mo, there will be no problem reverting back........:thumbsup:

That's not the only consideration.

Just one example......if someone ditches their extension and decides to take trip via air out of Thailand.

When they reenter visa exempt via air then high chance of refused entry with pp showing continuous stay in Thailand using visa exempt entries. 

Granted they could obtain a reentry permit but seriously that would be ridiculous....

To drop annual extensions that is not a difficult exercise to change to land border bounces and obtaining reentry permits is crazy. 

33 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

That's not the only consideration.

Just one example......if someone ditches their extension and decides to take trip via air out of Thailand.

When they reenter visa exempt via air then high chance of refused entry with pp showing continuous stay in Thailand using visa exempt entries. 

Granted they could obtain a reentry permit but seriously that would be ridiculous....

To drop annual extensions that is not a difficult exercise to change to land border bounces and obtaining reentry permits 

But, isn't that the old way immigration looked at things, hasn't the recent changes shown a complete relaxation on entries to get people INTO the country to spend their money.

It is the people that are here in LOS working illegally, running businesses, crooks etc that they must concentrate on, which I have read they are doing with gusto....🤗

Edited by transam
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, Pattaya57 said:

What are going on about. For months you've been asking very basic questions "for a friend" as you had no clue and now you're acting like an expert that knows for sure you can stay as long as you like on visa exempt entries.

The visa exempt is still only for tourism so all an IO has to do is say you're living here rather than being a tourist and you'll be denied entry just like IO's always could.

If this might happen it's ok, i can always come back to thailand in the next months, no worries. I am not an expert but i am learning how to live here and  i will try to do as many as possible visa exempt until i have the possibility

Edited by Jack1988
  • Confused 2

8 minutes ago, xtrnuno41 said:

You stay years in Thailand with only 4 times border crossings, if you are willing to pay 1900 baht for extension every time, 4 times. Otherwise 6 time border crossings, but think first method saves you, at least 2 long trips.

In the cases mentioned the foreigner probably would not be considered by IO to be a genuine tourist.  As such it would  appear that the announcement of unlimited VE entries is anomalous.   

• Agree 1

12 hours ago, Bvor said:

Not highlighted cos nothing new about IO discretionary decisions. The MFA official seemed creditable and was quite clear re permanent and unlimited, he even ok'd a back to back border entry example. How it actually pans out is not for me to speculate so I will wait and see - maybe some unforseen further changes are in the making TIT style! 

You're reading 'unlimited' as 'back to back' entries.

When questioned about a back to back entry, Mr Nairachai Ninnad, stated whilst Immigration do not have a specified order of how many times you can enter, the final decision to enter Thailand is at the discretion of the Immigration officer. They could request a return/outbound ticket, 20,000 THB funds, proof of accommodation and the purpose of your visit.

• Agree 1

5 hours ago, Jack1988 said:

That would never be my case. I have a lot of money, no problem at all for me 

What's the problem if folks like me can do unlimited borders run for now? And if this dream might ends one day I don't have any problem, I can go back to my country and then come back to Thailand again. Very easy 

Or you could just get the correct visa for the purpose of staying in Thailand, then don't have to make border runs.
Money is no object according to you, so what's the problem.

• Agree 1

What's the problem if folks like me can do unlimited borders run for now? And if this dream might ends one day I don't have any problem, I can go back to my country and then come back to Thailand again. Very easy 

Both are same 🙂

• Agree 1

3 hours ago, Bvor said:

In the cases mentioned the foreigner probably would not be considered by IO to be a genuine tourist.  As such it would  appear that the announcement of unlimited VE entries is anomalous.   

The IO must obey Thai law and Thai law says you can cross borders as many times as you want.

You come to Thailand, you get tourist visum exemption for 60 days, period. No other restrictions what so ever.

The IO cant say, you crossed border too much, as in Thai law there is no limitation. 

In the past, if I remember well, there were rules on border crossings and they fought that for some time. They wanted you to have the right visa

but now, it seems, they turn it back again. 

But in interview from 9:50 , there is also said, it is up to the IO's intention's, but according to Thai law then.

All explained by:

image.png.761717cbab11dc11cfa5010b49b6177c.png

The IO cant say, this is your 7th time, cannot enter Thailand.

But can say, you dont have any white paper anymore in your passport and therefor cant stamp.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

10 hours ago, Liquorice said:

You're reading 'unlimited' as 'back to back' entries.

He mentioned having to do 1 night outside of Thailand before re-entering. i took those situations to be "back to back"..........maybe i shouldn't have. I am aware that unlimited entries spread apart are not necessarily "back to back".  

• Thumbs Up 1

12 hours ago, xtrnuno41 said:

The IO cant say, this is your 7th time, cannot enter Thailand.

Wait and see. They have done so pre 15 july 2024 using what has been described in Pattaya Mail article as "absolute discretion". Maybe i've lost the plot but what I can't get my head around is how if somebody gets to stay in Thailand for say 360 days a year on "unlimited "VE's (4 x 60+30) can be classified to be a tourist ...........particularly when staying 180 days or more one is deemed to be a resident for tax purposes.

• Agree 1

14 hours ago, Liquorice said:

Or you could just get the correct visa for the purpose of staying in Thailand, then don't have to make border runs.
Money is no object according to you, so what's the problem.

yes, why not

• Confused 2

A duty free liter of gin and carton of Marlborough's every 60 days. Good for those that live near a border crossing. 

They can probably buy them for someone else and cover the cost of the border bounce. Maybe even turn a profit. 🙂 

Edited by JeffersLos
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

7 hours ago, Bvor said:

They have done so pre 15 july 2024 using what has been described in Pattaya Mail article as "absolute discretion". Maybe i've lost the plot but what I can't get my head around is how if somebody gets to stay in Thailand for say 360 days a year on "unlimited "VE's

You haven't lost the plot.

There is two words that has caused many folk to jump to misunderstanding change.

A better statement would have been something like.,.."rule limit of 2 visa exempt via land/sea per calendar year removed" 

Instead they announced "unlimited border exempt entries " 

All this change does it to bring visa exempt land border entries into line with entry via Air.

That reduces down to "no stated limit and up to the immigration officer discretion" 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

That reduces down to "no stated limit and up to the immigration officer discretion" 

I think at land borders, they'll just follow the general Guidelines for VE entries issued in 2014, which have been followed for arrivals by air, which is down to the IO's discretion.

• Agree 2

On 7/26/2024 at 12:21 PM, Chivas said:

Further down the same page the reference to land/air entry is made. In short its 2.....!

Screenshot 2024-07-26 at 06-19-37 Exemp Visa - สถานเอกอัครราชทูต ณ กรุงลอนดอน.png

The officials at the border checkpoints don't follow the UK Embassy guidelines. You might notice another requirement they mention i.e. "required at the port of entry to have proof of planned travel...". They never ask for this at the Banpuggard or Ban Laem border checkpoints (I can't speak for other checkpoints). I spoke to 2 other visa-runners last Thursday at Banpuggard, and they have both been using visa-free entries for over a year, and that's before the latest 60-day change.

There seems to be an air of confidence at Banpuggard that there is no limit, but they will follow their own rules. There's no need to stress as we're good for 6 months at least. Contact your agent that organises visa runs and ask what's going on at the border. I think the worst that can happen is they start warning people that they cannot enter again with visa-free stamps. They would put a warning stamp in your passport that you've entered too many times on visa-free stamps and that you should get a visa next time... but oblige that one last time.

• Agree 2