Irish footballer fights for his life after bike crash in Thailand

2 hours ago, GammaGlobulin said:

Actually, it does not.

The article states a bike accident.

I have always referred to motosai and motorcycles as....BIKE/BIKES.

For example:  A Bike Gang

Do you think that desperate Bike Gangs ride around on bicycles???

BIKES should be banned in Thailand.

Bicycles should be encouraged.

BIKES without mufflers should be compressed into CUBES, using car crushing machines.

(Oh NO.  The guy was cycling.  So then, it was a bicycle he was on, and not a BIKE.  What a true tragedy for the guy!)

I ride my bike most mornings.

image.png.adc5091aceedb5a2f1d5a93adf00bbed.png

• Thumbs Up 1

7 minutes ago, RichardColeman said:

Imagine the story in the Thai press if my UK held hostage a Thai national until they paid 2 million baht 

I doubt a typical Thai would blame the UK government for it, it's not in their mentality.

36 minutes ago, Ralf001 said:

I ride my bike most mornings.

image.png.adc5091aceedb5a2f1d5a93adf00bbed.png

I am impressed by the fact that this image suggests that you are super neat and organized.

Those shoes, for example, are facing the baseboard at a perfect right angle, and ...

Not 89 degrees, or 92 degrees, but exactly 90 degrees!

All boxes and bags are neatly stacked, and the cable of the power strip is properly coiled.

It's OK, I think that you have ceramic tiles where you store your bicycle.

However, I do hope that you have hardwood flooring in the living areas of your house.

Very nice photo.

I am impressed.

Except, I would never choose the color RED for a bicycle.

My preferred color would be fluorescent yellow-orange (I meant yellow-green. This was changed to yellow-orange, AFTER I clearly remember typing in yellow-green.  This is spooky because, this time, I am sure that this "typo" did not exist when I posted this comment.), like safety colors used by firefighters and UK cops.

This color choice is important for safety.

I hope that bicyclers, all around Thailand, will choose colors most easily seen by car and truck drivers.

Also, use strobe lights.

And, for the sideways views from drivers of vehicles, try to use some sort of reflective tabs/tags on the spokes, etc.

The helmet should have a strobe light on the very top, too.

Always ensure that one is seen when riding in Thailand.

Some drivers are probably operating vehicles while being legally blind, is my guess.

Edited by GammaGlobulin

11 minutes ago, GammaGlobulin said:

I am impressed by the fact that this image suggests that you are super neat and organized.

Those shoes, for example, are facing the baseboard at a perfect right angle, and ...

Not 89 degrees, or 92 degrees, but exactly 90 degrees!

All boxes and bags are neatly stacked, and the cable of the power strip is properly coiled.

It's OK, I think that you have ceramic tiles where you store your bicycle.

However, I do hope that you have hardwood flooring in the living areas of your house.

Very nice photo.

I am impressed.

Except, I would never choose the color RED for a bicycle.

My preferred color would be fluorescent yellow-orange, like safety colors used by firefighters and UK cops.

This color choice is important for safety.

I hope that bicyclers, all around Thailand, will choose colors most easily seen by car and truck drivers.

Also, use strobe lights.

And, for the sideways views from drivers of vehicles, try to use some sort of reflective tabs/tags on the spokes, etc.

The helmet should have a strobe light on the very top, too.

Always ensure that one is seen when riding in Thailand.

Some drivers are probably operating vehicles while being legally blind, is my guess.

I'm unsure as to how well he can ride it without adjusting the seat height properly though.

4 minutes ago, Katatonica said:

I'm unsure as to how well he can ride it without adjusting the seat height properly though.

Maybe he just sits on the handlebars, and then faces backwards while peddling, like we see circus clowns ride bicycles in the movies..

5 minutes ago, norfolkandchance said:

I'm still not convinced that it was a Cycling accident. The Gofundme account says Bike accident. The OP states Cycling. Could it be that it was assumed to be Cycling and not Motorbike. . 

YES!

I think you are correct!

I think that the original news item used the word BIKE.

And then, due to poor and inaccurate translation, somehow, this improper term "cycling" crept into the story.

We will not know for sure until we see images of the conveyance in question.

(Still a tragedy, just the same, however.)

Edited by GammaGlobulin

2 hours ago, GammaGlobulin said:

What a nightmare for anyone in such a situation.

I am extremely careful when walking outside my walled compound.

I am always mindful of vehicles that approach from behind, even though I always walk on the right-side, which should always face oncoming traffic.

Unfortunately, a significant  percentage of vehicles drive on the wrong side of the road when there is little to no traffic.  Not sure why they do this. But, maybe they are just riffing, like many jazz players also do.

Riffing while playing jazz is a wonderful and completely understandable tactic, improvising while driving is not only not advisable it's just not respectful of other drivers. There are certain rules that must be followed on the road in order to ensure our survival, and that of the masses. Some people don't seem to know that, and some people don't seem to know that their own lives are on the line, and the lives of their families. 

Sadly there are people that play stupid game and win stupid prizes.  

But where is the news reporting?  I don't see any details of the accident, just a sob story asking for donations to pay for the stupid prize.

32 minutes ago, norfolkandchance said:

I'm still not convinced that it was a Cycling accident. The Gofundme account says Bike accident. The OP states Cycling. Could it be that it was assumed to be Cycling and not Motorbike. . 

doesnt matter.

both cycling and motorbikes are stooooopid.

competing on the roads with 2 ton metal boxes. 

Edited by save the frogs
  • Sad 2

12 minutes ago, impulse said:

What are the odds that travel insurance would pay out in a scooter accident?

Bicycle, bicycle, bicycle, bicycle 

Bicycle, read the article before you comment 

stupid replies bread stupidly. 

Lots of stupidity here. 

Edited by SAFETY FIRST
  • Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

2 minutes ago, SAFETY FIRST said:

Bicycle, read the article before you comment 

Your stupid replies bread stupidly. 

Lots of stupidity here. 

I guess you missed all the posts wondering if it was a scooter or a bicycle, because of ambiguous translation common in Thailand.  I read the list of injuries, and I'd bet it's a scooter accident.

Starting a little early on a Friday, eh?

10 minutes ago, save the frogs said:

doesnt matter.

both cycling and motorbikes are stooooopid.

competing on the roads with 2 ton metal boxes. 

Definitely. Cycling is regarded as a hazardous activity. If he had taken out travel insurance he would have needed to have specified what he intended to do whilst on holiday and paid extra premium to cover it.

2 minutes ago, The Fugitive said:

Definitely. Cycling is regarded as a hazardous activity. If he had taken out travel insurance he would have needed to have specified what he intended to do whilst on holiday and paid extra premium to cover it.

did you ever notice that in the Tour de France, they block the roads off to cars?

• Agree 1

37 minutes ago, impulse said:

I guess you missed all the posts wondering if it was a scooter or a bicycle, because of ambiguous translation common in Thailand.  I read the list of injuries, and I'd bet it's a scooter accident.

Starting a little early on a Friday, eh?

READ THE ARTICLE 

This just keeps going and going, from lazy people bothering me. 

It says cycling.

If English is not your first language you should translate. 

For gods sake, you and the other annoying people, go bother other members, leave me alone. 

What's wrong with you people? 

Bloody strange people, too much free time, just want to annoy others. 

Go annoy someone else 

Edited by SAFETY FIRST
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

5 hours ago, webfact said:

Irish footballer

Weird he's in Thailand.

Was there a game?

Or does he play in the park on Sundays?

I don't think that's his real occupation.

That's like a waiter in LA telling you they're an actor. 😜

• Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Stupidity?

If they can afford the flight they can afford insurance.

When my former co-workers are paying over $1,000 a month in Thailand for health insurance alone, color me skeptical of a travel policy that costs $150 a month and covers travel interruption and 50 other advertised  benefits. 

I have never once been able to claim for the small stuff, in 25 years of international travel.  There's always a small print exclusion.  I have zero confidence they'd come through on a $500,000 claim. 

CBC Canada has a great YouTube called Travel Insurance  Are you actually covered (CBC Marketplace)  Sorry Youtube's blocked here, so I can't confirm a link.  I downloaded it and that's the title.

Edited by impulse
  • Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, off road pat said:

I am a budget traveler and always have a good insurance for my wife and I.

You Sir are a budget wise traveler... you don't cut corners where it counts the most.

• Love It 1
  • Agree 1

Rental companies need to be more vigilant when renting out bikes. It may mean more expensie rentals and even less business, but it also means less deaths and injuries

28 minutes ago, kwilco said:

Rental companies need to be more vigilant when renting out bikes. It may mean more expensie rentals and even less business, but it also means less deaths and injuries.

Even their customers don't seem to know (or claim they don't) if they're licenced to ride motorcycles. They are speaking various languages. People always seem to find a way around restrictions.

Irish footballer fights for his life after bike crash in Thailand

No, No go fund me .

Make it Compulsory to have travel insurance . 

Why should other people pay for there stupidity.

If people can't afford travel insurance they shouldn't be allowed to travel/go on holidays.

43 minutes ago, kwilco said:

Rental companies need to be more vigilant when renting out bikes. It may mean more expensie rentals and even less business, but it also means less deaths and injuries

Rental companies (for scooters) are just after a quick buck. 

They don't give a damn about licences or insurance.  You break their bike, they come after you.  And you can guarantee the cost will be higher than actual. 

Until the RTP smack the rental companies for non compliance with big fines, nothing will change. 

Stupid young tourists that think they are 6ft tall and bullet proof will continue renting bikes thinking they can ride like Ivan Mauger. 

Lives will continue to be lost and if some are lucky, only injured/aimed. 

This guy was just unfortunate on a bicycle it seems.  Thai roads are dangerous and you need to be prepared. 

1 hour ago, The Fugitive said:

There was no extra cover requirement for cycling in tens of policies I've looked at.

• Thumbs Up 1

This was a bicycle accident.

“The family of a young Cork man who is in intensive care after a bicycle crash in Thailand has launched a fundraiser to help bring him home safely.”

From his home town newspaper.

https://www.corkbeo.ie/news/local-news/fundraiser-launched-bring-seriously-injured-29562994

Edited by Georgealbert
  • Thumbs Up 1