Woman finds metal piece in crispy pork meal; Bangkok stall owner shows indifference

snoop1130

20210508-lechon-kawali-melissa-hom-2-inchChunks-seriouseats-1d53c12cee234305b921362e2106bf29.jpg

A woman was taken aback at a Bangkok eatery after chancing upon a metal piece in her crispy pork meal. It was disappointing that when she notified the stall owner, her concerns were brushed aside without an apology.

A woman took to the Facebook group, "We Are Consumers," to share her experience at a food vendor in Bangkok's Prawet district. She narrated how she bought a meal and found a metal bit resembling a nail inside the crispy pork she was eating.

"I uncovered this in the last bit of crispy pork I had. Thank God, I have this habit of slicing my food before eating. My two friends and I were stunned when I discovered it. I can't imagine the repercussions if I had swallowed it," she said.

Despite the shocking find, she didn't create a scene considering the other diners present. So she quietly returned the plate and told the seller nonchalantly, "Excuse me, I found a metal piece similar to a nail in my pork."

To her surprise, the vendor briefly looked at the dish and retorted, "That couldn't have occurred while I was preparing it," before turning back to her cooking. Though the woman insisted, "No, it was inside the crispy pork. I saw it when I sliced it," even showing the vendor the pork piece with the visible hole, the vendor remained indifferent, not acknowledging the issue or even offering an apology.

After her post, many group members asked about the stall location and criticized the vendor for her apparent disregard of the incident, particularly the lack of an apology and denial of the foreign object found in the meal.

File photo for reference only

news-logo-btm.jpg

-- 2024-07-19

- Cigna offers a range of plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

• Haha 1

Man oh man - Thailand just keeps shooting itself in the foot on social media day after day.

Now there is doubt about the safety of the street food - unbelievable.

Me thinks this is gonna get worse before better - which will take a while.

• Confused 2
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

So I see an image of crispy pork. Not any image of offending piece of  metal.

Too easy to make an accusation.

Unlikely a Bangkok street vendor  does "home kill" so maybe an unreported response was " here is named packaging or receipt of original source of  the pork?

Maybe an investigation could reveal a dastardly attempt to k-nobble  competition ?

Will eventually we witness claims and counter claims of "my 7/11 has better product than your 7/1!".

• Confused 3

15 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

A woman was taken aback at a Bangkok eatery after chancing upon a metal piece in her crispy pork meal. It was disappointing that when she notified the stall owner, her concerns were brushed aside without an apology.

TiT... what do you expect?

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Let's face it, eating street food in Thailand is akin to Russian roulette. At least the customer could see the nail - she couldn't see the billions of e-coli microbes. 

All things considered, the nail was probably less injurious to her health than the pork.:coffee1:

• Sad 1

I wonder if one of the AI bots could give us a figure for the number of people (we could do it for Thailand alone if we wanted to, I suppose, but that would really throw off the numbers,) who have found foreign objects in our food?

Sometimes it seems as if the whole world is becoming petty.

16 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

A woman took to the Facebook group, "We Are Consumers," to share her experience at a food vendor in Bangkok's Prawet district. She narrated how she bought a meal and found a metal bit resembling a nail inside the crispy pork she was eating.

So when is she going to be thrown in prison for Defamation.  If a farang wrote that it would be Defamation charges and Deportation.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, connda said:

So when is she going to be thrown in prison for Defamation.  If a farang wrote that it would be Defamation charges and Deportation.

She didn't defame anybody as she did not disclose the name of the eatery or the vendor.

13 hours ago, Yagoda said:

Yeah Thailand is the only place in the world where stuff like this happens. 

Name that other 'Tourism Desperate' place where this sort of thing happens every day on social media and where such 'bad advertisement' for potential tourists occurs - the story was in all the 'foreign related' media too.

By "this sort of thing" (as noted by others) is bad news/media stories about issues that affect tourists - crime, corruption, accidents, holes in roads, sudden deaths, murders, many arrests, drug issues, elected politicians thrown out, banks supporting illegal Junta in Myanmar, Cannabis uturn and uturn, regular shootings, Thais attacking tourists, men arrested for assaulting police (then released after 4 months), boats sinking, BTS railways falling down, illegal resorts being built/torn down, taxing Expat's money, and on and on it goes ..........  These are regular stories on Thai social media - daily - maybe you dont read them in the room - but many potential tourists/expats do. 

• Sad 1

14 hours ago, TroubleandGrumpy said:

Man oh man - Thailand just keeps shooting itself in the foot on social media day after day.

Now there is doubt about the safety of the street food - unbelievable.

Me thinks this is gonna get worse before better - which will take a while.

Yep, it’s all over now.

Time to pack up and leave.

Just now, TroubleandGrumpy said:

Name that other 'Tourism Desperate' place where this sort of thing happens every day on social media and where such 'bad advertisement' for potential tourists occurs - the story was in all the 'foreign related' media too.

By "this sort of thing" (as noted by others) is bad news/media stories about issues that affect tourists - crime, corruption, accidents, holes in roads, sudden deaths, murders, many arrests, drug issues, elected politicians thrown out, banks supporting illegal Junta in Myanmar, Cannabis uturn and uturn, regular shootings, Thais attacking tourists, men arrested for assaulting police (then released after 4 months), boats sinking, BTS railways falling down, illegal resorts being built/torn down, taxing Expat's money, and on and on it goes ..........  These are regular stories on Thai social media - daily - maybe you dont read them in the room - but many potential tourists/expats do. 

What a horrible place. You should leave

• Sad 1

16 hours ago, El Guapo said:

Similar thing happened to me at a street vendor in Bangkok. I found a staple in my Omelet. The cook did say sorry. ;--)

Making sure you are having a really staple diet 

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, TroubleandGrumpy said:

Name that other 'Tourism Desperate' place where this sort of thing happens every day on social media

It does not "happen every day on social media" in Thailand and there are plenty of reports of similar instances in other countries if you bother to look.  Thailand is not a "Tourism Desperate place" [sic], what ever that is supposed to mean.  

Edited by Liverpool Lou
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

It does not "happen every day on social media" in Thailand and there are plenty of reports of similar instances in other countries if you bother to look.  Thailand is not a "Tourism Desperate place" [sic], what ever that is supposed to mean.  

The whole world is tourist desperate, thats why there are Disneylands and tourist attractions everywhere.

Even in Liverpool, although no one goes there

On 7/19/2024 at 8:13 PM, Yagoda said:

Yeah Thailand is the only place in the world where stuff like this happens. 

Thailand is not  the only place where this happens, But it is  one of the very few places where hygiene is lacking and  nothing at all is done about it...and so many public health offices dotted around every city is a joke

Edited by actonion
  • Like 1

Thailand has far better street food than India and many other countries.  However, the reality is that most Thais have 'inbuilt immune systems' and can deal with food that is 'off', far better than most western Expats can deal with it.  When we do buy from street vendors, I let the Thai wife take charge and she only buys what she thinks will be OK for me - somehow she just knows.  But that is rare for us - we mainly eat at home (why not with a great cook) and when eating out we either go to a Restaurant or a Food Court in one of the local Malls.  The Food Courts are great - the food is great and the price is cheap. Restaurants are way less than anything we paid for in Australia and usually much better too. There are many street vendors in Bangkok that have been around a while and are really good - but that is not always the case, especially in the Provinces. 

On 7/19/2024 at 8:39 PM, it is what it is said:

this is an extremely small, should i say innocuous, incident, how on earth does that equate to thailand 'shooting itself in the foot'?

It's the compounding effect mate.

Every day upon day, it just wears you down after a while.

Thais are not as nice as most visitors would think.

I don't hate the lying, thriving little brown devil's but you need to keep your guard up.

OK I hate em lol.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1