Will have to wait 30 days to get the official approval stamp on my marriage visa?

Last year I successfully applied and was granted a one-year marriage visa. I was required to return in a month for the official stamp. It says I must return on that date one month later. What if I'm out of the country and can't return on that specific date? Can I get a multi-entry permit during that 30-day waiting period? 

Thank you for any help 

48 minutes ago, Pinot said:

Can I get a multi-entry permit during that 30-day waiting period? 

Yes.

The reentry permit will be dated "till" the date indicated that you return for stamp.

Does your immigration office do home visits. 

28 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Yes.

The reentry permit will be dated "till" the date indicated that you return for stamp.

Does your immigration office do home visits. 

They didn't last year in Phuket

I found this out on my first extension of visa; that retirement ext. is far easier to get thatn marriage ext. I entered the office with the request for ext. for marriage, till the questions and problems came. The officer pointed to the ext. for retirement. Got it in 45 min. and the rest of my 24 extensions were on retirement without any problems.

• Thumbs Up 2

2 minutes ago, malt25 said:

Coz ya brown envelope wasn't BIG enough.

never have offered nor given any brown envelope. Never used any agent. Only given some coffee during the many home visits, but than the officers like the fishing in the large pond full of fish next to the house.

20 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

The hurdles you need to jump over, in order to get a marriage visa are stupid, ridiculous, unnecessary, draconian, wasteful, and silly. I understand the need for them to verify that you are a legitimate couple. Upon the first application. But, the dumb requirements should not relate to renewals. You should not be required to show fresh images of the house each time, copies of the marriage papers, the house documents, either come with a local Thai witness, or bring a signed affidavit from a local Thai each time, provide new maps to the house, and dozens of other requirements.

I just do not even know what to say about the process. I felt like a street dog by the time I left. After hours of paperwork, copy after copy after copy, each page having to be signed, and then being grilling by the surly officer, I literally felt like a street dog. The level of disrespect that immigration shows married couples here, and foreigners in general, is totally uncalled for, beyond the pale, and inane. The copy woman, the guy sorting our papers, they were all nice. But, the officers? Such sourpusses. The woman who was helping us was so difficult to work with, when she finally rejected us over the tiniest thing she did not like, after nearly an hour of reviewing every document with a microscope, so to speak, and said no, I responded by saying yes. YES, you are going to do this. Yes, you are going to do this right now. YES, you are going to stop saying NO to me right now. This ends now. She looked at me and did not know what to say. I asked for the manager. The top brass came over, and we had it sorted in 30 minutes. Took nearly 3 hours. And as usual, it will be a month, until I have final approval. Is it worth it? NO. It is my last marriage visa. I will go back to a retirement visa next year, or leave the country, before I subject myself to that abuse one more time.

I use the marriage visa, and they inevitably like to throw in something, to increase the difficulty of the process. Frankly, I think at least some of this comes from the rather extreme level of xenophobia and the toxic racism of the army and the government. It filters down throughout every level of government. I do not think they want us here. And making these procedures difficult is one way of expressing that. 

Fortunately, I feel very little of that sentiment from the non governmental Thai people. 

Right now use the retirement visa and it's so much easier having to prove I'm married every year is just not something I'm willing to do. 

Not every Immigration office is the same.

The one I use at Kamphaeng Phet is farang friendly and very helpful. The front office staff all speak good English and I had a good conversation with a lady Cpl last week whilst doing a 90 day report.

The (good/bad) news is that they don't use any agents .

My marriage extension is due for renewal on 16 August 2024 and they suggested that I come in on 1st August with all the paperwork to start the new one.

The only drawback is that they are 70 km and a little over 1 hours journey away.

• Agree 2

There are RULES and you have to know them.

In case you don't agree with those rules or you cannot fulfill them you have the freedom to change from Marriage to retirement option.

Don't complain, it will not help you. rules are rules.

• Sad 1
  • Agree 1

3 hours ago, Pinot said:

Last year I successfully applied and was granted a one-year marriage visa. I was required to return in a month for the official stamp. It says I must return on that date one month later. What if I'm out of the country and can't return on that specific date? Can I get a multi-entry permit during that 30-day waiting period? 

Thank you for any help 

If you passport is with Immigration and you are out of the country, presumably you have more than one passport. In your case I have no idea what would happen in the event you didn't present yourself at the required time.

• Confused 3

39 minutes ago, billd766 said:

Not every Immigration office is the same.

The one I use at Kamphaeng Phet is farang friendly and very helpful. The front office staff all speak good English and I had a good conversation with a lady Cpl last week whilst doing a 90 day report.

Same as mine , i guess because never mad busy.  I do agree that it is ridiculous the amount of paperwork and signing involved but thankfully it is only one morning in every 365 days so I can live with it.  At my immigration officers recommendation ( lovely helpful lady ) I got a stamp made up in my name to save time. So now when I get handed a stack of paper to sign and print I can just rattle through the printing part in a minute then start again with a fast signature. It does save a fair bit of time.

As for all the silly repeat information needed......just have to live with it. If you get all your ducks in a row it goes smoothly enough.

I actually think that applying for a mere visit visa for my wife from VS Global was a lot more work with some pretty questionable sharp practices. As for the questions ....Have you ever been a member of a terrorist organisation or do you plant to blow up parliament during your holiday ?

Mad mad mad

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, spidermike007 said:

The hurdles you need to jump over, in order to get a marriage visa are stupid, ridiculous, unnecessary, draconian, wasteful, and silly. I understand the need for them to verify that you are a legitimate couple. Upon the first application. But, the dumb requirements should not relate to renewals. You should not be required to show fresh images of the house each time, copies of the marriage papers, the house documents, either come with a local Thai witness, or bring a signed affidavit from a local Thai each time, provide new maps to the house, and dozens of other requirements.

I just do not even know what to say about the process. I felt like a street dog by the time I left. After hours of paperwork, copy after copy after copy, each page having to be signed, and then being grilling by the surly officer, I literally felt like a street dog. The level of disrespect that immigration shows married couples here, and foreigners in general, is totally uncalled for, beyond the pale, and inane. The copy woman, the guy sorting our papers, they were all nice. But, the officers? Such sourpusses. The woman who was helping us was so difficult to work with, when she finally rejected us over the tiniest thing she did not like, after nearly an hour of reviewing every document with a microscope, so to speak, and said no, I responded by saying yes. YES, you are going to do this. Yes, you are going to do this right now. YES, you are going to stop saying NO to me right now. This ends now. She looked at me and did not know what to say. I asked for the manager. The top brass came over, and we had it sorted in 30 minutes. Took nearly 3 hours. And as usual, it will be a month, until I have final approval. Is it worth it? NO. It is my last marriage visa. I will go back to a retirement visa next year, or leave the country, before I subject myself to that abuse one more time.

I use the marriage visa, and they inevitably like to throw in something, to increase the difficulty of the process. Frankly, I think at least some of this comes from the rather extreme level of xenophobia and the toxic racism of the army and the government. It filters down throughout every level of government. I do not think they want us here. And making these procedures difficult is one way of expressing that. 

Fortunately, I feel very little of that sentiment from the non governmental Thai people. 

Right now use the retirement visa and it's so much easier having to prove I'm married every year is just not something I'm willing to do. 

I renewed my marriage extension yesterday, once again it was very easy. I refuse to lock away 400K so chose the monthly income method which creates a little extra work and the waste of about twenty sheets of copy paper. Getting the financials together only takes a couple of hours so no problem.

My Immigration Officer checks the paperwork and that usually takes about ten minutes, then there are numerous interruptions, general conversations, photos, signing every page etc. then finally stamp in Passport to come back in 30 days. 2000 baht, a farewell and away, no arguments, no nit picking. Six years now and no problems, don't you wish you lived where I do ?.

• Thumbs Up 1

7 minutes ago, tirekicker said:

Having gone to go through the Visa process based on marriage for the last 19 years, each year they are always looks the smallest of errors. This year, they warned me that next year I must wear long trousers (no shorts) in the photo outside the house which has never been required before.

Yip they always look to point something out. We went to bank in morning and updated book and got letter and print out from bank showing money had been there for three months. Handed everything to office and they said to my wife that she needed to go to a ATM and put money in account and then show the balance in updated book again . Despite us just updating the book less than 30 minutes before at the bank. 🙈

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

10 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Updating a bank book is different to showing activity in the account on day of application.

Some offices require a small deposit/withdrawal on day of application. 

Yip this was their little thing .

Despite me depositing 1000bht into it few days before to show activity.🙄🙈

1 hour ago, easydoor said:

There are RULES and you have to know them.

In case you don't agree with those rules or you cannot fulfill them you have the freedom to change from Marriage to retirement option.

Don't complain, it will not help you. rules are rules.

There are "rules" (documented) - but then there are the ever-changing "extras" they add, to make the process more difficult for those doing marriage-based extensions.  

And then there is the bad-attitude, at many (not all) offices - ranging from surly to downright insulting - mostly directed at your wife, while you are powerless to do anything about it - so as to maximize the harm to you and your relationship.

1 hour ago, Photoguy21 said:

They do many times they have with mine

"Under consideration" period of 30-days (and can take longer) - or "come back tomorrow" for retirement-extension cases, which do not require district-level approval?  

I have been doing marriage for 10 years in Udon Thani. Never refused, but sometimes they do not like a photo or once didn't like the discreency between bank book and bank letter. All easily resolved and no need to reapply. Never experienced surly officers except for once the new supervisor insisted on putting his oar in. Could tell the desk officers were not happy, he was gone by my next 90 day report.

Just need to get your documents correct. Just one day a year. I do the 400,000 in the bank, because i do not want to send money every month (because not always in Thailand).

• Like 1

Oh just to add, the 30 day thing was because some foreigners tried to game the system, by marrying a Thai, paying them off but never actually living with them. From a big country just west of Thailand, across the sea...

6 hours ago, Tod Daniels said:

Hang about there is no  𝗪𝗵𝗮𝘁 𝗶𝗳 𝗜'𝗺 𝗼𝘂𝘁 𝗼𝗳 𝘁𝗵𝗲 𝗰𝗼𝘂𝗻𝘁𝗿𝘆 𝗮𝗻𝗱 𝗰𝗮𝗻'𝘁 𝗿𝗲𝘁𝘂𝗿𝗻 𝗼𝗻 𝘁𝗵𝗮𝘁 𝘀𝗽𝗲𝗰𝗶𝗳𝗶𝗰 𝗱𝗮𝘁𝗲? you don't have a yearly extension yet, you HAVE to return to the immigration office on that day you can't be "out of the country" you'll lose the extension and have to start all over from ZERO

Wow, that is ridiculous, no? Thanks Tod. Good thing I held off on those Tokyo tickets

5 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

You have to ask yourself how important is it to only have the 400k in a bank vs. the 800k? All the ridiculous hoops and inconveniences just may not worth it. I don't have any choice at this point. 

4 hours ago, ronster said:

I don't understand why they don't have an office that people who have submitted it for 10 years or more get faster approval as surely their details will be practically the same every year 🙄🙈

They don't make the rules for you, sir. Your little 10 year proposal for faster service? Don't be making these faster approval suggestions. This is Thailand, my friend. They don't care. 

Last year was the first for the marriage visa. When I was done I felt like a member of the Maquis after the Gestapo got through with them. We had everything ready, I thought, last year. Oh no, I had the requirements from the year before. Oh, my Buddha. We're going to be ready for them this year and when I say we, I mean her. She did 97% of the talking last year. Two days of talking. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1